Category: Tech
Posted By: wildrosegirl
Date: 2010-09-26 07:45:20

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:07 am

Why is it that the vast majority seem to think they need to be available 24/7? Nothing is that bloody important.

More often than not, I think it's just to feed egos.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:37 am

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
Why is it that the vast majority seem to think they need to be available 24/7? Nothing is that bloody important.

I'll agree with that 100%. As it is I already hate my phone and find it extremely intrusive and I don't even get too many calls. I'm like one of those guys who hardly ever gives out his number or email ID even.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:45 am

desertdude desertdude:

I'll agree with that 100%. As it is I already hate my phone and find it extremely intrusive and I don't even get too many calls. I'm like one of those guys who hardly ever gives out his number or email ID even.

I often find it amusing when people get irritated when I switch my phone off. They ak me why and I tell them that there are times when I don't want to get bothered with phone calls. That ticks them off.

I have it for my convenience. I never answere the phone while driving. If I have to use it I pull over. There is no phone call the risk of an accident.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:49 am

I don't have a problem with giving them out but I'm far from glued to either, and I certainly am not at everyone's beck and call. I don't check voice mails or texts at work (I'm at work - I am unavailable. Period), and I don't answer my phone when I'm at the checkout! I find that SO rude!!! Let the call go, finish your transaction and call the person back. Actually, for the most part, I don't take my phone when I'm out doing errands, and if I do, it's turned off. I only have it with me for MY convenience, should I need it for something. Not for everyone else's.

I still operate like I only had a land line. Like back in the "old days" where if you were out, you were out - you called back later. The world turned perfectly fine before freakin' cell phones, and mine will continue to do so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:23 am

I don't have a problem with giving them out but I'm far from glued to either, and I certainly am not at everyone's beck and call. I don't check voice mails or texts at work (I'm at work - I am unavailable. Period), and I don't answer my phone when I'm at the checkout! I find that SO rude!!! Let the call go, finish your transaction and call the person back. Actually, for the most part, I don't take my phone when I'm out doing errands, and if I do, it's turned off. I only have it with me for MY convenience, should I need it for something. Not for everyone else's.

I still operate like I only had a land line. Like back in the "old days" where if you were out, you were out - you called back later. The world turned perfectly fine before freakin' cell phones, and mine will continue to do so.

[B-o] Absolutely correct. We have all seen folks walking around with a blue tooth device attached to the ear. This reminds my of Star Trek what are we on our way to becoming a borg?

I realise that many people think it looks cool, buy do you really want to get that plugged into the world?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:42 am

Unfortunately, we live in a world where the majority of today's society seems to have some 'need' to be connected to everyone and everything, no matter how asinine and ridiculous. Some people can't seem to live without their phones.

I had a frantic customer in my store a few months back who was freaking out because she misplaced her Blackberry and, "MY WHOLE LIFE IS ON THAT PHONE!!! MY WORLD WILL END IF I DON'T FIND MY PHONE!!!"

If that isn't over-dependancy on something, I don't know what is. Phones are like drugs to some people.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:44 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Unfortunately, we live in a world where the majority of today's society seems to have some 'need' to be connected to everyone and everything, no matter how asinine and ridiculous. Some people can't seem to live without their phones.

I had a frantic customer in my store a few months back who was freaking out because she misplaced her Blackberry and, "MY WHOLE LIFE IS ON THAT PHONE!!! MY WORLD WILL END IF I DON'T FIND MY PHONE!!!"

If that isn't over-dependancy on something, I don't know what is. Phones are like drugs to some people.

-J.

Electronic crack is what they are.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:47 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

Yes, I've run into that as well. There is something fundamentally wrong when people forge an emotional attachment for a cell phone. People have survived for centuries without one.

Yes, it is a convenience and it does come in handy at times, but one should look on it as a tool not as a necessity.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 am

Nowadays, businesses don't have an office anymore. They have a phone that contains all they need to run their business. Email (instead of letters), text and msn, conference calls from everywhere, no need for a land line anymore.
When you misplace your phone, you misplace your whole office.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 am

Brenda Brenda:
Nowadays, businesses don't have an office anymore. They have a phone that contains all they need to run their business. Email (instead of letters), text and msn, conference calls from everywhere, no need for a land line anymore.
When you misplace your phone, you misplace your whole office.

I feel no sympathy for people that do this and don't have backups, like a land line or answering machine or whatever. It's to the point now where the cell phone is the only thing they know, and are lost without it. That's no way to live.

I have a cell myself, but rarely use it. It's a pay as you go, and I buy a 20-dollar top-up card every few months to keep it active. I only take it for trips, or emergencies. Otherwise, it sits on my coffee table and collects dust. When I go anywhere else, I don't want to be bothered by anyone.

I might even get rid of it entirely in the new year.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:56 am

Most people find it very strange that I don't have a cell phone or ANY other portable device...

...expecially when then find out that I'm a programmer. :D