Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
sandorski sandorski:
No. At the same time Government can't keep Cutting Taxes
(what the biggest proponents of the Laffer Curve always spout) and always have Increases in Revenue.

Well that's precisely why you need to know where on the curve we are. If you ignore it, you don't know what effect a change in taxation rates will have on revenues. It's helpful to know whether an increase in tax rates will net higher or lower tax revenues before you introduce the tax change, no? And what do you mean by "can't keep cutting taxes"? That's a meaningless statement without knowing the goal behind cutting tax. In general, however, governments don't cut taxes. That's not what they do. So there aren't any governments that "keep cutting taxes". 99 times out of 100 a change in taxation means an increase.

I'm not sure what you mean by "proponents of the Laffer curve". People aren't proponents of the Laffer curve, they're observers of it. It's a measure, like "temperature" or "income" or "score after the 2nd period". There's no emotion or vested political interest in its calculation. Here's a very recent attempt at estimating the Laffer curve. It's conclusions are similar to most studies, that being that we're very near the peak.

Plenty of Governments Cut Taxes. Hell, the Liberals were cutting Taxes. Sorry, those who are always talking about the Laffer Curve are the same idiots who Cut Taxes then Borrow Money to make up the subsequent shortfall. It's become a buzzword to make poor Policy sound like good Economics. Except it's nothing of the sort.

Here's something really simple and actually works at reducing Taxes:

1) Balance the Budget through Increased Taxes and Budget Cuts
2) Wait for a Surplus to develope
3) Use part of the Surplus to Cut Taxes
4) Success

Anyone trying to do it any other way will Fail practically 100% of the time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:49 am

sandorski sandorski:
Plenty of Governments Cut Taxes. Hell, the Liberals were cutting Taxes. Sorry, those who are always talking about the Laffer Curve are the same idiots who Cut Taxes then Borrow Money to make up the subsequent shortfall. It's become a buzzword to make poor Policy sound like good Economics. Except it's nothing of the sort.

4) Success

I've tried my best. You're not getting it. Carrots contain betacarotene, which makes them orange.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
sandorski sandorski:

4) Success

I've tried my best. You're not getting it. Carrots contain betacarotene, which makes them orange.

Indeed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
If that's the case, then her political ineptitude has hit a new low. BC is in the middle of a tax revolt, and her lack of leadership in it almost smells like some tacit support of the tax. Her being NDP, maybe that's the case, and her public handwringing is simply a smokescreen.

She's in a tough spot. Usually it's the NDP who tax and spend. Now that the Liberals are doing it, she's finding herself in somewhat of a policy void. It's the BC Conservatives who really stand to make hay on this one. Of course, then the NDP benefit anyways, as the Conservatives adn Liberals split the right and the NDP has their HST and never even had to pay the political price for it.

Just bought a home last week. Over $13,000 in property transfer tax plus several more thousand in HST (realtors, lawyers, assessors, contractors, yadda yadda yadda).

We are simply getting taxed up the ass in BC. I even got a Letter to teh Editor on the subject int he Province newspaper on Friday. The letter is a response to a report by provincial helath officer Perry Kendall ringing the klaxons about all the boozing, smoking and eating.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Blame+ills+mislaid+lifestyles+residents/3607244/story.html

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
I saw Colin Hansen on the news mouthing off like a carp out of water about how Vander Zalm was living in a Fantasy Garden when it came to a cut to the HST, which got me to thinking.

Since we all know that Clown, I mean Colin, Hansen new about implementing the HST before the election and kept it from the populous thinking we'd be so freakin stupid that we'd never figure out that he and Gordo the Debauched lied to us, isn't he really the one that's living in a fantasy world and not Vander Zalm :?:

Id like to find that mug shot of Gordo drunk driving in Hawaii, haha

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Gunnair Gunnair:
If that's the case, then her political ineptitude has hit a new low. BC is in the middle of a tax revolt, and her lack of leadership in it almost smells like some tacit support of the tax. Her being NDP, maybe that's the case, and her public handwringing is simply a smokescreen.

She's in a tough spot. Usually it's the NDP who tax and spend. Now that the Liberals are doing it, she's finding herself in somewhat of a policy void. It's the BC Conservatives who really stand to make hay on this one. Of course, then the NDP benefit anyways, as the Conservatives adn Liberals split the right and the NDP has their HST and never even had to pay the political price for it.

Just bought a home last week. Over $13,000 in property transfer tax plus several more thousand in HST (realtors, lawyers, assessors, contractors, yadda yadda yadda).

We are simply getting taxed up the ass in BC. I even got a Letter to teh Editor on the subject int he Province newspaper on Friday. The letter is a response to a report by provincial helath officer Perry Kendall ringing the klaxons about all the boozing, smoking and eating.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Blame+ills+mislaid+lifestyles+residents/3607244/story.html

XD