CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:06 pm

The_Doctor The_Doctor:
How about finding a peaceful way?

We kill them and they make more. Rince and repeat. We try to win the hearts and minds of Afgans, but we kill their civilians. Which creates more enemies. Remember we created Usama bin Laden and his terrorists due to American arrogance during the Cold War. I guess it's a curse.

I'd really like you, or anyone for that matter who feels that there must be a peaceful way to end the war in Afghan/"war on terror" to come up with an actual peaceful, war free solution aside from saying "Hearts and Minds." Come up with a war free strategy and I'll be all ears, but right now the way we're doing things is the best way we have found to deal with the situation in Afghanistan, and terrorism in general. Unfortunately we learned a lot of it through trial and error.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Rebels, traitors, and insurgents infiltrating native auxiliaries is nothing new. It probably goes back to the beginnings of the history of warfare. Aside from a policy of 'not-being-there-at-all' to prevent such occurances, these incidents will happen from time to time, and probably much more frequently when dealing with local Islamic cultures. Beef up all security procedures as possible but one has to be mature enough in these situations to realize that one of the enemy will always get through. One of them always has before and one of them always will. It's just the basic nature of war and no one involved doesn't get a bloody nose at least once.

The greater puzzle is to why the American politicians and media expect their military to be exempt from a phenomena that's plagued every empire or great power that ever existed. Oh yeah, we're the good guys, we're here to help these people, every one out there simply has to love us, even our MRE's taste exactly like freedom, etc, etc, etc. I'm not being snotty or mean on the Yanks just for fun here. It's just that their 30-second attention spans, delusional belief in their own propaganda, and abysmal knowledge of anyone else's history is more than a damn bit annoying. For a great power they sure do need to grow up some and start paying attention to the background details of the places they're involved in.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:57 am

The_Doctor The_Doctor:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Some the Cold war allies have now turned into our enemies. Times change. The Tallies et al only fought with us because they hated the Russians more than they hated us. That's the way things go. The Brits and the Germans were allies for centuries. Until WW1.

Do you really want to see your son die in Afghanistan and the his son and his.......?

It has to end.

If we leave from the middle east and central Asia. Things will be much calmer.

wow, thats just so ........... delusional.

Are you prepared to convert to Islam as well ?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:07 am

Thanos Thanos:
...even our MRE's taste exactly like freedom,...

Nicely put [B-o] I howled when I read that. I dunno if you've ever experienced MREs but I can safely say that they are little more than 3 lies for the price of one :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:03 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Thanos Thanos:
...even our MRE's taste exactly like freedom,...

Nicely put [B-o] I howled when I read that. I dunno if you've ever experienced MREs but I can safely say that they are little more than 3 lies for the price of one :lol:

MRE's, otherwise known as "meals rejected by Ethiopians". PDT_Armataz_01_32

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:19 am

I rather liked the MRE's and they were a welcome change from UK compo rats. It was a tough sell to the Yanks though, trying to swap British Army cans of chicken curry for MRE cans of tuna......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:43 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I rather liked the MRE's and they were a welcome change from UK compo rats. It was a tough sell to the Yanks though, trying to swap British Army cans of chicken curry for MRE cans of tuna......

Agreed. Compared to British rations MRE's wer fine dining! 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:52 am

There were some good bits to compo and the Arctic rat-packs were great!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:05 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
There were some good bits to compo and the Arctic rat-packs were great!

Had your arctic rats once. Tried the tin of cheese,(at least I think it was cheese)Thought it tasted a little off but ate it anyways. Figured it was just your rats. Turned out it had gone bad. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:19 am

Ah, 'Cheese possessed', or processed cheese. Always good with the rock hard compo biscuits or the oatmeal biccies.

My favourites were the chicken curry, beans, beef stew and compo sausages. Oh yea! That stuff was so high in fibre that the Yanks we were on exercise with us could smell the farts from our bivvies half a click away.

There is an urban/military legend that the British Army were most vulnerable on day two of an op as they were all taking huge dumps after compo-overload.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:26 am

Army rations are fine, but steak Thursday with a bottle of Wild Horse Canyon merlot in sea state four is rather more civilized.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 am

"How about we just LEAVE?" and other versions of this aren't even in the ballpark.

Leaving or leaving them alone is just what happened in 1989 and look what they went and did...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 am

The_Doctor The_Doctor:
If we leave from the middle east and central Asia. Things will be much calmer.

If we leave from the Middle East then the following will happen in short order:

Iran goes to war with *everyone*.

Israel will use one or more nuclear weapons in response to a similar attack likely on Haifa or Tel Aviv. Maybe even 200 of them as this is one of their not-so-secret policies about such attacks.

Turkey will invade northern Iraq and conduct a genocide against the Kurds.

Pakistan and India will go to war again and maybe even draw China into it.

If we fold in Central Asia then both China and Russia will need to go back in - as both of them want to do in order to control Muslim violence that's spilling across their borders. Maybe they'll do it peacefully, maybe it will be a bloodbath, in any case all either country will care about is the mission at hand and Western sensibilities will be meaningless to them.

In the long term our absence from the region will allow local nuclear programs to progress unimpeded. That an Iranian or Arab produced nuke could be used against the West is a near certainty. I keep a huge amount of iodine tablets at home against this probability.

That the West will settle for nothing less than retaliatory annihilation is an absolute fact of policy. No Western government could long endure that allows a city or cities to be immolated while sitting on its hands.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:17 am

martin14 martin14:
Are you prepared to convert to Islam as well ?

No that is because I don't believe in a God. I am a studying Buddhism.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:18 am

Thanos Thanos:
Rebels, traitors, and insurgents infiltrating native auxiliaries is nothing new. It probably goes back to the beginnings of the history of warfare. Aside from a policy of 'not-being-there-at-all' to prevent such occurances, these incidents will happen from time to time, and probably much more frequently when dealing with local Islamic cultures. Beef up all security procedures as possible but one has to be mature enough in these situations to realize that one of the enemy will always get through. One of them always has before and one of them always will. It's just the basic nature of war and no one involved doesn't get a bloody nose at least once.

The greater puzzle is to why the American politicians and media expect their military to be exempt from a phenomena that's plagued every empire or great power that ever existed. Oh yeah, we're the good guys, we're here to help these people, every one out there simply has to love us, even our MRE's taste exactly like freedom, etc, etc, etc. I'm not being snotty or mean on the Yanks just for fun here. It's just that their 30-second attention spans, delusional belief in their own propaganda, and abysmal knowledge of anyone else's history is more than a damn bit annoying. For a great power they sure do need to grow up some and start paying attention to the background details of the places they're involved in.

Remember folks: