Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 pm

I am Canadian and for the most proud of it I come from a mixed background of Metis/Irish decent. I am pale skinned compared to many in my family, and have lived in four provinces of Canada. I was born in P.A.,Sask. in a highly native environment and was ostracized from both sides whites/natives not entirely but for the most part. I was a criminal from a young age and a homeless drug addict for a time, I've spent several years in Canada's judicial system at both Provincal and Federal levels. I was involved in organized crime and later in activism, and advocacy. I have had money at times and none at others, I was raped as a child and loved as a adult. I have had so many experiences like many, that have shaped my views and understanding of the world around me and it has left me perplexed by what I have seen and heard.

We talk of a better world and how it can happen,we place blame on others for what is currently wrong, and we accept certain human ways as a certainty. To me these are what limit ourselves and society. To talk of how to make the world better is to broad of a subject should we not first focus on making smaller pockets of society better first? I believe through this a reaction will occur, when other communities see change for the better from their neighbor it is contagious, such is the tool found in consumerism. Almost if not all civil rights movements started on smaller city level and grew because for the most part people want things to be better and more just. I have found that just living a life in a just way can effect change around you in a enormous ways but you must be active in your community and clicking up into groups with others that share your views can be damaging for change. I have experienced two points of this in my life the first was when I organized my first rally protesting bill C52 and petitioning for signatures against it. I was over whelmed by feed back from some who said they felt threatened by our group. The second was shortly after when I realized I was only conversing with those who shared the same view point as I and if I wanted to facilitate the changes I felt were needed I had to live them with those who didn't and talk about said things at times but not in great length or with passion as well. Through this I have found the one person who I honestly thought would never see it my way change, my grandfather of 82 years who use to call me a dirty hippy is now on the same page as me on many things and now goes for coffee with the other oldtimers and tells them of the social and economic crisis which is occurring and will burst with magnitude soon. If I can help a paradigm shift occur in my life hardened grandfather I must be doing something right. This is the same way I got off drugs it was by spending time with those who learned to live a life without them that was the catalyst of change in my own sobriety not any program or divine intervention but by the example of others. I have been involved with activism and advocacy for 7 years now and have followed this model for the last 3 and feel my impact on change for the better has had much more of a effect. I don't want you to get me wrong I know rallies, sit ins, and organization facilitate change as well and participate in them regularly still.

Thank you for reading and I will be writing part 2 and 3 soon.

Sincerely;
Ryman