Famous Canadian Categories:
- Born in Owen Sound, Ontario on Feb 8, 1894.
- Educated at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario.
- Qualified as a pilot in December, 1916.
- Joined the Royal Flying Corps.
- Flew a Nieuport 17.
- From March 25, 1917 to June 19, 1918, he destroyed over 25 enemy aircraft.
- Participated in over 170 air battles.
- In total given credit for 72 kills, third highest ace allied total.
- In one battle he shot down 5 enemy aircraft in a space of 5 minutes.
- In 1918 he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel and given command of 85th squadron.
- Awarded the Military Cross, Distinguished Service Award and Victoria Cross.
- Had a reputation as an accurate shooter but a lousy pilot.
- Was instrumental in helping create the Royal Canadian Air Force.
- Germans nicknamed him "Hell's Handmaiden."
- William Avery Bishop died quietly in his sleep in 1956
from CKA famous canadian quotes
Share on Facebook
Quotes by Billy Bishop
- The Air Age faces mankind with a sharp choice - the choice between Winged Peace or Winged Death. It's up to you.
Last updated: 10-09-07 Hits: 9394