CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Forum rules

This is a Bloc Quebecois forum meant for like-minded discussion, if you want to flame or debate in open, please use the main Canadian Politics forum.

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:32 am

Bloc would topple Tories 'any time'
CP PHOTO/Jacques Boissinot
Kevin Dougherty, CanWest News Service; Montreal Gazette
Published: Sunday, October 22, 2006 Article tools
Printer friendly

Font: * * * * QUEBEC CITY -- Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe served notice Saturday that his party is prepared to defeat the Harper government in a confidence vote, even if that means provoking a federal election before Christmas.

"We will be ready before the holidays," Duceppe told about 450 delegates and observers to a weekend meeting of his party's general council.

"Any time," he challenged Prime Minister Stephen Harper. "He should not expect the Bloc to support him."

Duceppe said he learned his party must be ready for surprises in May 2005, when the Bloc, convinced the Liberal government of Paul Martin would fall on a confidence vote, spent about $600,000 for an election campaign that never happened.

"I saw a lot of money disappear," he recalled.

Martin was saved when Belinda Stronach left the Conservatives to join Martin's Liberals.

The Bloc leader said his party would vote to defeat the government if Harper calls a confidence vote before Christmas on the Clean Air Act, which sets 2050 as the long-term date to reduce greenhouse gases. The Bloc and the NDP both oppose the legislation, calling it an ineffective approach that will actually increase pollution. However a confidence vote on the act is an unlikely prospect.

A more likely occasion for a confidence vote would be next spring after the Harper government's second budget.

He recalled Harper's Quebec City pledge in a Dec. 19, 2005, campaign speech to correct the fiscal imbalance and said the Bloc intends to hold the prime minister to that commitment.

While Quebec Finance Minister Michel Audet refuses to advance a figure on how much federal money the province wants to close the fiscal imbalance, Duceppe uses the Parti Quebecois' $3.9-billion estimate and he urged Quebec Premier Jean Charest to stick to that target.

"We will be watching him," Duceppe said.

Harper's campaign commitment to solve the fiscal imbalance and give Quebec a place in Canada's delegation to UNESCO the Paris-based United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization are credited with helping his Tories win 10 Quebec seats, eight in the Quebec City region.

But recent polls indicate the Bloc is regaining support it lost to the Tories.

"Quebecers are discovering who Stephen Harper is," Duceppe said.

He also criticized Tory proposals to try children as young as 10 in adult courts, calling this "the Pampers clause."

The Bloc also opposes Tory plans to abolish the federal gun registry.

The Bloc supports Canada's military commitment in Afghanistan, but Duceppe said he agrees with British General David Richards, commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's mission, that the Taliban will gain support if the lives of ordinary Afghans do not improve soon.

Duceppe said Canada's commitment has to be humanitarian as much as military.

"We don't want the Taliban to replace the warlords," he said.

The Bloc rejects the NDP call for an immediate pullout as irresponsible.

On domestic issues, Duceppe said this coming Wednesday the Bloc is counting on support from the NDP and the Liberals for a bill to create a federal anti-replacement worker law, similar to Quebec's law limiting replacement workers during strikes.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Indeed as soon has a confidence vote is presented in front of the house it's election time again.

Let's say that I'm not to surprise since the Con are as popular in Québec has the Green. I think that Québecer will continue to hold the balance of power in Canada for a good while.

Right now the Conservative are the 14%-16% and the Bloc is in the hight 40% the liberal 17%-19% and the green get around 12% the NDP is in the single digit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:14 pm

Elvis Elvis:
Indeed as soon has a confidence vote is presented in front of the house it's election time again.

Let's say that I'm not to surprise since the Con are as popular in Québec has the Green. I think that Québecer will continue to hold the balance of power in Canada for a good while.

Right now the Conservative are the 14%-16% and the Bloc is in the hight 40% the liberal 17%-19% and the green get around 12% the NDP is in the single digit.

I hope your dreams are in colour, B&W would be so boring.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:20 pm

Avro Avro:
hwacker hwacker:
Elvis Elvis:

I like drinking cum out of straws.

You're sick.

and you're a

Attachments:
Drama%20Queen%20L.jpg
Drama%20Queen%20L.jpg [ 9.92 KiB | Viewed 907 times ]
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:36 pm

you guy's are nut'sImage

BTW hwacker why are you so optimistic about the con chance in Québec?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:52 pm

Lord Black Lord Black:
hwacker hwacker:
Elvis Elvis:

I like drinking cum out of straws.

You're sick.

Is this guy still here? :roll:

It is one thing to be an old leftwing hippie extremist on a Liberal jihad and quite another to alter a posters words.

On CKA you live and die by your words and to add, delete or otherwise alter and/or attribute any quoted text to another you have broken an unspoken covenant of poster responsibility. I would never advocate your imprisonment for any idea, belief or advocacy of such but when you sink to your new low.....

Why is it that when ever the going gets weird you turn pro?