Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:52 pm

There are legal challenges, no doubt. I've always been for expiry dates on any law. Why should our 21st century world be dependent on laws passed by men who never made a phone call or rode on a jet? It's insane to govern by laws written by men long dead.

Education is, of course, key. No one questions that. But until Natives become equal partners in this nation, they will be marginalized. That's a fact. The first step is for natives to become Canadians instead of insisting on their deluded fantasy that the rest of us are, somehow, guests in their house.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am

GeeGeeMcFee GeeGeeMcFee:
Native children are to have dollar for dollar equal access to care from the government as any other child in this country.

And they do.

Schools are available to native's all over the Country. Just because there isn't one on the reserve or the one on the reserve isn't "as good" as the other public schools doesn't mean they don't have equal access.

They don't want equal access, they want special access.

Again, we come back to the special status and the expectation that Canadians owe First Nations everything and it must be presented at their feet to be considered equal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
There are legal challenges, no doubt. I've always been for expiry dates on any law. Why should our 21st century world be dependent on laws passed by men who never made a phone call or rode on a jet? It's insane to govern by laws written by men long dead.

Education is, of course, key. No one questions that. But until Natives become equal partners in this nation, they will be marginalized. That's a fact. The first step is for natives to become Canadians instead of insisting on their deluded fantasy that the rest of us are, somehow, guests in their house.

Sounds like a noble goal. That kind of agreement has to be mutual, and its going to be hard to negotiate that with history showing Canada doesn't actually come through with our promises.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 am

GeeGeeMcFee GeeGeeMcFee:
You should do some research and find out why they were moved, and I'll bet you'll see a legacy of inept thinking from the government. And I'd bet a whole dollar that this is maybe not the first or even the second move.

Let me know. I've got crotches to shampoo. :lol:

I think you missed the point. It you recall, Mr. ADD, we were discussing that throwing money at the problem doesn't help. As an example, I provided the sorry tale of the Innu of Davis Inlet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 am

What about us, the Aryan-Canadians? When do I get a big cheque every second week as payback for all the crap you guys put my people through? :? :mrgreen:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 am

Sorry man....you Aryans are the wrong kind of Indians :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:52 am

OK, I'll approach it from another angle then, one more in tune with recent court decisions of the past couple of decades. What about us, the bisexual Aryans, when do we catch (snicker) a break? :mrgreen:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 am

break?? you have a dating pool that is twice the size of gay or straight Aryans.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am

Not really. Full-blood gays are fairly intolerant of switch-hitters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
GeeGeeMcFee GeeGeeMcFee:
Native children are to have dollar for dollar equal access to care from the government as any other child in this country.

And they do.

Schools are available to native's all over the Country. Just because there isn't one on the reserve or the one on the reserve isn't "as good" as the other public schools doesn't mean they don't have equal access.

They don't want equal access, they want special access.

Again, we come back to the special status and the expectation that Canadians owe First Nations everything and it must be presented at their feet to be considered equal.

How about you move to Regina? What are the logistics? How much will it cost, and would you want to?

Now if you are a single unemployed parent how are they going to make that move?

Are you going to bus children 150 kms each day ?

You have two choices:

1) Bite the bullet now and pay for equal education for Aboriginal kids

2) or bite the bullet later for the costs of welfare, poverty and jail cells.

Those are the choices. Educated kids have the chance to break the cycle of poverty. Not educating them guarantees most of those people stay on reserves and/or on some sort of government transfer payment that you and I pay for.

Waiting for them to leave their reserves voluntarily has not worked under any condition for over 135 years. All of a sudden your genius ideas and hard nosed thinking is going to change that? I hardly think so.

Not the demise of the family farm and small towns - these people have good access to great education and therefore the children transition easier to city life. Same with the Natives who have access to an equal education system. If we wait for them to come to us we keep waiting and waiting and paying and paying. And those costs, well they are as much the Natives fault as they are your fault.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:30 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
GeeGeeMcFee GeeGeeMcFee:
You should do some research and find out why they were moved, and I'll bet you'll see a legacy of inept thinking from the government. And I'd bet a whole dollar that this is maybe not the first or even the second move.

Let me know. I've got crotches to shampoo. :lol:

I think you missed the point. It you recall, Mr. ADD, we were discussing that throwing money at the problem doesn't help. As an example, I provided the sorry tale of the Innu of Davis Inlet.

Ya if you throw money into a fire it is going to burn.

If you buy a fire extinguisher and use it to extinguish the fire then you've made progress.

We have had a legacy of failed policies with the Natives. If we find the right tools to extinguish the fire then we can all move forward together. The right tool in this situation is a good education.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 am

You're dreaming if you think equal funding for education will solve this mess. I I support you 100%. Let's make the funding equal. The feds can pay the provinces to administer the funding, since the provinces are already set up to provide education.

IF that were done, I'm sure you'd find some other excuse why the FNs are being held back.

There are huge numbers of off-reserve status Indians. They knew they'd never get anywhere in some isolated little reserve. How did they manage to do it when apparently it's so hard to move?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:40 am

Thanos Thanos:
What about us, the Aryan-Canadians? When do I get a big cheque every second week as payback for all the crap you guys put my people through? :? :mrgreen:

Are you referring to the fact that that you and your kin (and me!!) get to live in the best country in the world with a living standard that is better than 95% of the rest of the world?

How about you were born in Somalia or India or Chechnya? Me thinks that Canadians forget what vast treasures this country has afforded to us and the fact that our kids and their kids will be among the longest living most highly productive and healthy people on the planet for many generations.

And we can even improve on our long term health as a country by getting Aboriginal people educated and into the workforce, saving us all money in the long run and at the end of the day doing something right for these people. I do not think the treaties and promises we made as a country to these people were in vain, we just need to suck it up and do the right thing finally.

Instead of a $2 billion drain on the Sask economy to support an underclass we should be adding $2 billion through employment and taxes. that is a 4 billion dollar swing. That is $400 per year per man woman and child in Sask.

The GDP in this province is already among the leaders on this continent, adding an influx of local, educated people who can fit into the workforce can only help.

Mid you if having a Native family living next to you in suburbia (I'm guessing trailer park though :lol: )is not an option for you then lets keep shortchanging these kids so that you can pay for their welfare later.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 am

GeeGeeMcFee GeeGeeMcFee:

Are you referring to the fact that that you and your kin (and me!!) get to live in the best country in the world with a living standard that is better than 95% of the rest of the world?

Same country the natives live in. Nothing stops the natives from participating in the country. Leave the reserve and they'll get the same education and same chances as everybody else. There isn't one right that we have that the natives don't. But you insist on making these racial divisions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 am

andyt andyt:
You're dreaming if you think equal funding for education will solve this mess. I I support you 100%. Let's make the funding equal. The feds can pay the provinces to administer the funding, since the provinces are already set up to provide education.

IF that were done, I'm sure you'd find some other excuse why the FNs are being held back.

There are huge numbers of off-reserve status Indians. They knew they'd never get anywhere in some isolated little reserve. How did they manage to do it when apparently it's so hard to move?

Then lets get our government to do it and I will pay you back every cent that the additional education costs are minus the increased productivity and decreased strain on the social system. Or else you can all kick me in the balls.

That is how confident I am that a good education will provide us all an outlet from the Native cycle of poverty and its associated costs.

If there are more excuses they will not be from me.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next