canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm

The videogame industry is just a microcosm. I have no doubt that the oil and gas, Pharmaceutical and weapon manufactures will make this look like chump change.

Yet somehow, this goes without scrutiny. Somehow the self correcting aspects of the 'free-market' seem to be absent. There are some that see this is the market working as it should but the amount of ambivalence towards this abhorrent greed is deafening.

More people need to ask what is it that is being done for them to EARN this level of wealth.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:25 pm

EA Games, doubly so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 am

Part of the problem is that people get screwed with a crappy game that needs a ton of updates and DLC, then line up to buy the next one six months later.

If people actually boycotted this shit, companies might listen, but too many people are too addicted to the shit these companies make and keep them profitable.

The current state of the game industry is the biggest reason why I mostly play retro games that these assholes see no revenue from.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 am

The game I play the most; has got regular updates, patches and what could be considered DLC but really are massive changes to the way the game is played; and I haven't paid an extra cent since buying it in Beta, for 4 years.

They fund the continued play by attracting more players with the new game additions. The latest is a massively multiplayer quest type of gametype, where thousands of players scavenge and survey planets for information and resources. And it's still the best VR game, but was a great game before it supported VR.

That's what a game should be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:16 am

I can't say I recall the last time I purchased a triple A game for myself. I did get my son god of war and Spiderman for the PS4 slim I got him 3 years ago but since then it's been a subscription to PlayStation plus and the monthly free games that have been more than enough for him. I use a PC myself so steam is a mainstay and I just put it on my wishlist and wait for sales as I already have an embarrassment of riches in my library already to choose from. That and the occasional humble bundle and GOG giveaway.

Honestly thou the games I play the most are the ones I don't pay a cent for, world of warships and hearthstone. Free to play is here to stay and they are always getting a flood of new content. Sure I could sink money into the games to get some sort of digital edge but such gimmicks are fleeting. You find out that if you just play like a filthy casual daily that you will eventually grind out what others who can't wait have paid out hundreds of dollars for. Tortoise and the hare all over again.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am

Scape Scape:
Free to play is here to stay and they are always getting a flood of new content. Sure I could sink money into the games to get some sort of digital edge but such gimmicks are fleeting. You find out that if you just play like a filthy casual daily that you will eventually grind out what others who can't wait have paid out hundreds of dollars for. Tortoise and the hare all over again.

That's why they rotate titles often. COD was my hangup. Then they introduced loot boxes. Things went downhill from there, because if you didn't grind all day long for the rare good stuff, you would lose. It builds character, for sure. But it sucks.

Now they introduce loot boxes that give you distinct advantages for the paid loot. You will win with it, you will lose without it.

And next year, there will be a new game for you to buy and invest in loot boxes.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:54 pm

I have never once seen the appeal of or given a rat's ass about DLC or loot boxes, whatever the hell they are.

I only bought a PS4 because I wanted to play a version of Final Fantasy VII with the magic defence glitch fixed. I bought Final Fantasy IX again because it's one of my favourite titles in the series, but I'm not buying Final Fantasy X because they messed up the placement of the bonus bosses. I'm just going to take my old PS2 out of storage and use that for X instead.

And I'm sure as hell not buying the Final Fantasy VII remake if I'm only getting a quarter of a storyline. Nor am I thrilled about the active-movement combat.

It's one thing for the game companies to release old titles on new platforms if they've been out of print for a while or fix some major problems. It's quite another when the new content sucks or is superfluous, or requires you to pay extra to get things that should logically be in the main product.

So to hell with DLCs and loot boxes.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:57 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Part of the problem is that people get screwed with a crappy game that needs a ton of updates and DLC, then line up to buy the next one six months later.

^This. There have been several games over the last decade that I really looked forward to, got my pre-order, then was wholly disappointed with when I got them home and started playing!

bootlegga bootlegga:
If people actually boycotted this shit, companies might listen, but too many people are too addicted to the shit these companies make and keep them profitable.

TRUTH!

bootlegga bootlegga:
The current state of the game industry is the biggest reason why I mostly play retro games that these assholes see no revenue from.

Also the reason why I'm staying with my PS3 and nothing newer. Got tired of the endless circle of new 'better' games that required DLC, patches, and never ending updates. Two games I bought brand new on release day had patches! I was not happy!

I wish I could find a N64 cheap with GoldenEye. That would make me very happy.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:37 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I wish I could find a N64 cheap with GoldenEye. That would make me very happy.

-J.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/04/ ... ebug-code/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm

"Videogamers are pointless parasites" would have been just as truthful & accurate a title for this thread. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm

I play like 3 games at this point
Rust - Comes out with small DLCs for fun items that don't impact game play, and basically uses skins of items to monetize.
POE - Free to play, uses skins and stash tabs to monetize
Diablo 2 Resurrected when it comes out - my favourite game of all time in HD graphics? Yes please.