CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:55 am

Reason #45 why Apple sucks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:31 am

the fact that people still buy shit from Apple is baffling.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 am

Actually, I feel almost the same way about Android too. Way too expensive hardware, software barely masked as spyware. Manufacturers that abandon software upgrades too easily.

No one really treats cell phones as essential communication any more. It's all data points for profit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:08 pm

Tricks Tricks:
the fact that people still buy shit from Apple is baffling.

The inability to upgrade combined with their planned obsolescence drove me away a long time ago - I've been a reformed Crapple customer for more than 20 years now. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:25 pm

Ha! I have an Ipad air circa 2013. It STILL works and they still provide security software updates. Granted I have to keep it plugged in as it goes dead as a nit in 20 seconds unplugged but I use it in the bedroom to watch netflix and headspace to sleep and it works great.

My Iphone 4s circa 2011, Still works has all my old photos and messages and yes, still gets updates.

How many android phones are supported for that long? And that walled garden, it means your banking info on you phone isn't in the wild. I would never get a google phone as the os time and time again is shown to be unsecure.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Cellphone question for you blokes/bloke-ettes:

- I received an offer from Shaw for a $0 per month data package if I use my old phone(s)
- they'll mail out new SIM cards to me
- I have two old phones (1) a Galaxy II from Bell circa 2011 (2) an Experia from Manitoba Telephone Systems circa 2014 (I had to buy this in Brandon because at that time Bell didn't have service in SW Manitoba outside the bigger towns so I couldn't use my Galaxy II while I was there on that pipeline job at Virden)
- I know that the new phones over the last several years have to be sold "unlocked" so their owner can take them to any service provider when their initial contract is up, i.e, go from Rogers to Telus if Rogers pissed you off

Question: can I do this with my old phones or are they still the "property" of Bell and MTS, and are therefore still locked and can't be used with another provider's SIM cards?

Answers will be appreciated - if yes then we can finally drop the landline altogether.

Thanks! [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Nope. They will only support one of the three bands for phonecalls and as a result will drop calls. You need something newer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:06 pm

SO even though the actual cost/value of the phones was fully paid out by the time the contracts ended they're now basically useless except as paperweights, even though they still work perfectly fine? Nice. :evil:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:13 pm

They were great for the time they were issued. Tech moves on. I wouldn't use my 4s for phonecalls today when I have an SE with 100x the processing power and battery.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:42 pm

That isn't my main concern though. They'd be stay at home phones and used almost entirely for local calls. I just need them to work. They don't have to be top-of-the-line, just something to fill in a gap until I can afford a new one.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Sadly, unless your idea of a local call is 911 they will not support it as it can't support the bands required. They don't want to get sued for dropped calls by old phones.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:14 pm

Now I am angry and sad. And tired. :(

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:15 pm

cookie?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber