CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 am

Newsflash: That isn't why people eat organic. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm

I eat local as much as I can... don't really care if I'm shrinking my carbon footprint because of it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:39 pm

I eat cows from down the street.
Too bad they're trucked to Alberta, slaughtered, butchered, shrink wrapped and sent back first. I didn't ask to add as much of a carbon footprint as is possible.
But the lambs down the street I have no idea what becomes of them, we're only allowed to buy shrink wrapped mutton from New Zealand.
Sort of like the big damn lake at the end of my street that's made us all sick of trout and char, yet the procession of supermarket managers fresh from business college can't figure out why no one buys the farmed trout. Shit, they can't even figure out to stop ordering it.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:23 pm

I buy local to help support the farmers and cause of the taste differences. Trucked from god knows where can never compare with fresh picked.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 pm

housewife housewife:
I buy local to help support the farmers and cause of the taste differences. Trucked from god knows where can never compare with fresh picked.

Exactly, I buy chickens from a local Hutterite colony, because it tastes like... well... chicken. Beef comes from grass fed Holstein steers kept by a local dairy producer and pork she also raises. She also sells lamb from one of her friends. Fantastic!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
housewife housewife:

Exactly, I buy chickens from a local Hutterite colony, because it tastes like... well... chicken. Beef comes from grass fed Holstein steers kept by a local dairy producer and pork she also raises. She also sells lamb from one of her friends. Fantastic!

There is just such a difference between locally grown fresh produce, and the stuff they sell in grocery stores. And there is a third level, produce you find in markets in places like France. Locally grown and sold produce is good, but those farmers know how to turn it up to eleven.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Good news: Only mental retards and psychopaths need to worry about their carbon footprints!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm

V8 juice is 1/8th gasoline.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah in my part of the world the 100 Mile Diet means you can't even get to a WalMart or a Safeway. The Farmer's Market can't supply the 15 customers that show up. Maybe we can eat hay until they build a sawmill scrap wood-fired greenhouse complex...