canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:52 am

Title: Bell, Telus to use Nokia and Ericsson, not Huawei, in building their next-generation 5G networks
Category: Tech
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2020-06-03 10:54:36
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:52 am

And that's how this decision should be made, in the private sector, not government.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:18 am

Government impacted the move because government agencies would be barred from using the Huawei crapnets.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:24 am

And private carriers could never trust their equipment wasn't compromised, even if it were edge gear as the UK was proposing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 am

Oh for FFS you still going on we're too fucking stoopid to find and correct any spyware you're imagining exists?
Maybe the Swedes and Norwegians are going to steal your souls now. Sell them to the UN Blue Helmets and New World Order....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:13 am

herbie herbie:
Oh for FFS you still going on we're too fucking stoopid to find and correct any spyware you're imagining exists?

It's not imagination if it is shown to be ongoing. Pretty much every network appliance or equipment phones home, all the time. You can't use it, or many advanced features if it's not allowed to send and receive data from the mothership. Do you know what they are sending? Is it your SSL keys that you installed to enable encrypted communications? Did that new update suddenly start sending all your secrets to a third party who compromised the manufacturer?

All of these things I can show you have happened. Russia, China, Israel, India - they all knock on our firewalls 24/7/365 looking for vulnerabilities, and Huawei has been shown to be an arm of the Chinese government through the Meng Wanzhou fiasco. Huweai have also shown perfectly willing to steal secrets for the Chinese government in the T-Mobile fiasco. And that was just last year!

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/08/73089842 ... logy-theft
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5085279

Why would they not use the opportunity to spy from the inside instead of hoping we misconfigure equipment somewhere? Can they really be trusted not to?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 am

My Bell-hatred is going to poison anything I say here so I better stop now.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:19 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:

Dude, I've been with most carriers. Bell is the least terrible of them. Cantel was the worst, followed by Telus.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:41 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:

Dude, I've been with most carriers. Bell is the least terrible of them. Cantel was the worst, followed by Telus.

In that case, there is something deeply wrong with this country when it comes to cell phones. Some of my friends, still recovering from Bell-trauma, claim they got better deals with Koodo.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:17 pm

Yeah I know how it works, I used to manage a whole ISP myself.
Yeah your iPhone sends to Apple, your Android to google, you PC to Microsoft. It doesn't send it directly to the CIA or Russia or China.
And yes the fuckers are incessantly trying to hack into everything they can. Most of the attempts on my servers were from China, and once I even gave one the same name as one they;d hacked 5 years before. Instant, fucking instant re-attack.
But this bullshit that your Huawei phone sends info secretly all the way through Telus, Bell, Verizon circuits to Chinese Communist HQ is pure tin hat shit.
Otherwise, shit bricks over your modem, your router, your wireless adapter - they're ALL made in China

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:06 pm

Shows the horrors of those back-room deals and the foolish trap of those trade arrangements. Huawei should have been banned from all consideration period as retaliation for the Chinese responsibility for COVID. Yeah, clobber the entire world economy for unknow trillions in losses but still be up for consideration for major telecom deals in our idiot country? They should have been booted out of consideration for any of this gadget-centric crap for the next 20 years for what they've done. Jaysus! :evil:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:09 am

herbie herbie:
But this bullshit that your Huawei phone sends info secretly all the way through Telus, Bell, Verizon circuits to Chinese Communist HQ is pure tin hat shit.

That isn't what anyone said, is it? Although, since Android already does, and Huawei phones use their own Android knockoff . . . I wonder why Huawei phones are even sold in North America.

herbie herbie:
Otherwise, shit bricks over your modem, your router, your wireless adapter - they're ALL made in China

^^^ That's what I wrote. All networking equipment requires data sent back and forth from the manufacturer. You can get custom firmware that doesn't require it, but can you afford it?

Do you check who that equipment is sending to, and do you check what it is sending? Then security services are right to question whether an entity that is known friendly to a hostile government should be trusted with secure and sensitive data.

Photos of an NSA “upgrade” factory show Cisco router getting implant

Pure tin hat shit, when these things actually are happening. Step outside your little rural ISP bubble herb. There is a big wide world out there, and it isn't a friendly place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:44 am

Banning their equipment as a trade retaliation is fine. Banning it because the US State Dept says it "might be spying" with no actual proof is bullshit.
Telus and their partners use some Huawei last mile solutions already, it works well and is priced well and that's all. It's not in the NOC and obviously with all the squawk and US resistance it would make their NOC equipment risky (as in import permit paperwork, unsure support and supply) to use anyway.
No matter how "good" their phones are or one thinks they are, they're gonna be orphans like Windows phones, and that's why you should avoid them.
But implying they send data that just dances thru a Network Operations Center unnoticed or is unstoppable is what I am calling bullshit on. It would be discovered, it would be blocked and the shit would hit the fan for real.
This "what they may be doing" shit is more about them pissing off boy baby in the White House by selling phones to Iran than anything else.
And how we Csanadians fucked ourselves abandoning the Telecom sector just like we've done with aviation, nuclear, transportation and many others over the years.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:53 am

herbie herbie:
Banning it because the US State Dept says it "might be spying" with no actual proof is bullshit.

So, did you read the article I posted that the NSA already does such things? How can they have no proof when they already do it themselves? Or that Huawei engages on blatant corporate espionage? I posted an article on that.

Plus, if some future update sets up the spying software, how do you prove it until they are deep in your network? Why not go by the shady practices they already show us.

herbie herbie:
And how we Csanadians fucked ourselves abandoning the Telecom sector just like we've done with aviation, nuclear, transportation and many others over the years.

We didn't. NorTel spent more on bankruptcy lawyers fees than it ever did adapting to the VOIP wave. Blackberry was the victim of infighting and patent trolls.

We as Canadians didn't do anything. They did it to themselves.