Title: BMJ editor Fiona Godlee takes on corruption in science
Category: Science
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2016-04-19 09:27:48
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:54 am

Caught some of this on The National last night. Science is our last touchstone for "truth" as religious faith declines or sinks into fundamentalism. Very scary to have Science now also come under doubt as it gets misused and corrupted by capitalism. We won't have any system for validating experience, just have everybody claim it's all relative, I'm as right as you are. Science of course also has been misused to validate, ie "prove" ideas that it is just not equipped to deal with. It's being destroyed by the very people meant to uphold it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:02 am

When I was a lowly Grad Student at the U of M I spoke of a similar problem with pesticide research and Monsanto. I was told to STFU!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
When I was a lowly Grad Student at the U of M I spoke of a similar problem with pesticide research and Monsanto. I was told to STFU!

Yeah, I guess in the 50's, DDT was still King. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:20 am

andyt andyt:
It's being destroyed by the very people meant to uphold it.

I disagree. The people who start the phony Publishing houses that accept any paper and don't peer review it, and the people who seek to publish in these 'journals' so that they can get another notch in their fume hood, were never in it for the joy of science. They were in it to 'publish' so they can put their name to another study, and hopefully get 'grants'.

It's never about discovery or knowledge for them. It's the person who follows bugs around the jungle for 10 years to see what they can learn, and then publishes a paper on it, those are the people in it for science.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:28 am

andyt andyt:
fifeboy fifeboy:

Yeah, I guess in the 50's, DDT was still King. :lol:

:lol: Not that old :lol: