Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2022-12-08 06:38:30

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 pm

I hope this "deal" does not backfire on Biden.

Russia is getting back an arms dealer who had intentions of killing Americans and is considered a terrorist. He was imprisoned because he was rightly considered a threat.

The USA is getting back a star basketball player who made a really stupid mistake when packing her luggage.

I was sure that at some point in here there was discussion about Griner's arrest and trial but I couldn't find it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:21 pm

The merchant of death has been in prison for 12 years. His clout is done but Putin can use this for domestic propaganda. It's a win for Biden with zero blowback. I have serious doubts Griner did this of her own will, it was probably planted. There are still 4 other political prisoners that have been waiting longer but this was her or nothing deal and taking it was a no-brainer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:29 pm

It's a shitty trade, but in the end, Griner is still going home which is what matters. Hopefully, the US can secure the release of their other unjustly held citizens in Russia. But considering the price that was paid for Griner, I can't imagine who Russia would want next. Carlos the Jackal?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:32 pm

The others don't have celebrity status so likely they will continue to be imprisoned.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 pm

Strutz Strutz:
The others don't have celebrity status so likely they will continue to be imprisoned.

She admitted to taking illegal drugs to another country. Whereas that Marine was simply handed a random thumb drive by a random person, and he gets 25 years.

Griner should do the time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:44 pm

While in Russian custody. Who trusts anything that’s said by Russia or by people held by Russia. And even so, 10 years in a gulag is hardly a fitting punishment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:21 pm

Yeah. It was only cannabis so big whoop. Be a huge difference if she's smuggled meth or horse into Russia. She should have put steroids in her luggage instead and told the customs crooks at the Moscow airport that they were gifts for a friend on the Russian women's team. She would have gotten a free pass right then and there for that kind of generosity to Mother Ruzzia.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:17 pm

Confessions under duress are worthless. It was a show trial at best.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:08 am

I agree with all of you. It shouldn't be a crime, and the punishment does not fit the offence.

But, from the start, she never denied the vape cartridges were hers and she never denied they were anything but cannabis oil. There is no need to force a confession freely given.

She is a black, gay, American going to a country that hates Blacks, Gays and Americans. She should have been more cautions packing her bag when going to that country. You don't pack bottles of gin when going to Saudi Arabia. You don't pack effigies of the King when going to Thailand. The punishment was disproportionate, but not unexpected.

On the other hand, while not a particularly nice man, Whelan was obviously framed. And his punishment certainly does not fit that alleged crime. The fact that Russia wouldn't even discuss his release ensures that his detention is 100% political. Russia is looking for something big in return for his release. Something the US will never agree to.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:01 am

Just an aside - I bet this is the first WNBA trade any one of us paid attention to.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:10 am

Keep in mind that this deal involved Putin and IMO there is no way he would have agreed to this unless it would be to his (and Russia's) advantage.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:57 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
She is a black, gay, American going to a country that hates Blacks, Gays and Americans. She should have been more cautions packing her bag when going to that country.

Young people, and young Americans in particular, aren't very wise at the best of times. Add in a bit of fame & celebrity and its associated "their silly rules don't apply to ME" arrogance to the mix and that's how you get someone going to Ruzzia with a suitcase containing cannabis vapes. Or some moron getting caught at check-in with a loaded handgun in his carry-on bag. Or some utter dildo of a person showing up drunk for their flight, pounding even more drinks back while in the air, flipping out on the flight attendants when asked to remain seated or to put the seat belt on, and then screaming like a toddler "do you know who I am?!?!?!? do you fucking know who I am?!?!?!??!?" as they're carried off the plane in handcuffs by the cops who've been called to arrest them (and not be polite about it either) as soon as the plane lands.

Air travel. It's the new People of WalMart basically. I highly recommend never doing it, not at all, not for any reason whatsoever. There's nothing out there to be seen or to be done that's worth spending ten or twelve hours trapped in the air in a metal cylinder with wings with the kind of folks who make the creatures from a monster movie look like civilized company in comparison.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:11 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:17 pm