Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Soldier killed at Wainwright was commanding LAV-3 vehicle, colonel says

CBC CBC:
A soldier killed in a training accident this week at CFB Wainwright, Alta., was the crew chief of an armoured vehicle who served two tours in Afghanistan, his commanding officer says.

Sgt. Robert J. Dynerowicz with the Royal Canadian Dragoons based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, was killed Tuesday morning. Three other soldiers inside the LAV-3, including the driver, were injured. Two of them are now back with their units and the third remains in hospital. All were from CFB Petawawa.

Col. Conrad Mialkowski, commander of 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, said the sergeant was riding in the turret of the LAV-3 at the time of the accident. The vehicle was on a much-travelled gravel road on the base when the fatal incident occurred.

Full story

R.I.P. Sgt. Dynerowicz

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 pm

RIP

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:18 pm

$1:
Fifty-one soldiers have been injured and five others killed when the Light Armoured Vehicle III they were riding in rolled over

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/light-armoured-vehicle-rollovers-led-to-more-than-50-casualties-1.2662379

It seems to me the LAV 3 definitely has a stability problem, yet the brass seem to think there is no problem with it....

$1:
Asked about the record of the LAV-3, Mialkowski said he is confident the vehicles are safe.

The colonel said he personally drove the same model for eight months during a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

"It is a very reliable vehicle, and it's been the workhorse of our army for close to two decades."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/military-death-wainwright-dynerowicz-1.4086628

It must have something to do with the Ostrich Effect.....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Hyack Hyack:
$1:
Fifty-one soldiers have been injured and five others killed when the Light Armoured Vehicle III they were riding in rolled over

It seems to me the LAV 3 definitely has a stability problem, yet the brass seem to think there is no problem with it....

$1:
Asked about the record of the LAV-3, Mialkowski said he is confident the vehicles are safe.

The colonel said he personally drove the same model for eight months during a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

"It is a very reliable vehicle, and it's been the workhorse of our army for close to two decades."

It must have something to do with the Ostrich Effect.....

Kind of difficult for me to have an unbiased opinion now, and I don't want to allude that this was why the accident occured, but I don't think you're wrong. The LAV-6 upgrade was a mistake. We should have purchased modified CV 90-30s and sent the whole wheeled vehicle fleet to the militia, or sold them off as surplus.

Funny thing is, the primary reason why it is as narrow as it is, is because we wanted it to fit in a herc. That said, it's too tall to fit into a herc without removing the turret anyway. Now that we have C-17s, I believe the Herc width requirements are redundant, and that we should transition to the wider, shorter, tracked vehicle platform I mentioned above.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:02 pm

RIP Sergeant Dynerowicz :(

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Hyack Hyack:
$1:

Kind of difficult for me to have an unbiased opinion now, and I don't want to allude that this was why the accident occured, but I don't think you're wrong. The LAV-6 upgrade was a mistake. We should have purchased modified CV 90-30s and sent the whole wheeled vehicle fleet to the militia, or sold them off as surplus.

Funny thing is, the primary reason why it is as narrow as it is, is because we wanted it to fit in a herc. That said, it's too tall to fit into a herc without removing the turret anyway. Now that we have C-17s, I believe the Herc width requirements are redundant, and that we should transition to the wider, shorter, tracked vehicle platform I mentioned above.

Too bad budget cuts forced the cancellation of that program years ago...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:47 pm

So we're using a glorified meathead wagon as a combat vehicle? 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 am

R=EM

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:22 am

RIP Sergeant Dynerowicz

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 pm

PDT_Armataz_01_10

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:18 am

RIP Soldier and thank you for your service :cry:

Hopefully he won't be remembered as just another victim of the succession of Canadian Gov'ts who have failed to fulfill their obligations to the people who volunteered to protect our country and that his untimely death will actually lead to the purchase of newer and safer equipment for the troops.