bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Thanos Thanos:
My inner neo-fascist is looking forward to the day when high-speed drones that can clock up to 200 kph are swarming all over the roadways and chasing vehicles to get pics not just of the vehicle & license plate but also of the driver as well. This is how much I hate those whose idea of freedom is to act like a prick all the time. Vengeance against all who ever gave me a bad time in traffic, even when I was also doing at least 20 kph over the speed limit! :twisted:

This is one option I would have zero problem with...too bad the UCP government would never go for it, even if it didn't cost them a cent. Too many of their voters are the pricks you mentioned.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:27 pm

Exactly. I keep in mind that Ralph Klein once had a rural MLA who actually tried to make it easier for people out in the countryside to drive while drunk. It was defeated but that it was even allowed to be introduced showed something in what the good ol' boy network that's always controlled this province really believed in, and what they wanted.

I'd like to think that today's massive loss in the Supreme Court over the federal carbon tax would make a difference. But Kenney (and Alberta) haven't learned a goddamn thing from all these fights they keep picking and keep losing. At this stage it has to be seen as a pathological type of addiction, that no matter the certain outcome of defeat, when the bar drunk is still going to continue being a belligerent yapping dog picking and losing fights it KNOWS it won't win simply because The Base wants it that way.

We're fucked. The attitude of those shit sociopathic drivers in this province is the same attitude of the government ruling over us. It can only get worse when this kind of mentality is permanently in the driver's seat and always will be. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:49 pm

xerxes xerxes:
The thing I’m still not clear on; is who merged into who? The driver says she was getting on to the highway when it happened. Did she not see the truck? Or did the truck not see her? I assume since it’s the trucker who’s getting all the tickets, he’s at fault. But it’s still ambiguous to me. But there’s also a lot of people out there who think they can beat a truck and then find out painfully how much big rigs can’t stop on a dime.

From the interview on the news; she was merging. She had the right of way. He saw her, and gave her the old PITT maneuver and spun her on to the bumper of his truck.

Can't tell you how many times that almost happens to me. I have 2 to get on the highway, one where there is a clear yield sign that no one yields for, and then the highway where there is a merge.

People will floor it to cut you off from merging into their lane. Some people will slam on the brakes and stop on the on ramp because of it. That is lovely at rush hour.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:27 pm

The problem isn't the accident, they happen all the time, the problem is the time he took to stop... definite road-rage and/or assholery there... and you don't want big rig drivers with road-rage problems.

Sure, these things take longer to stop, but the truck was empty (see pics and videos) and they were going uphill (read article).

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 am

raydan raydan:
... and you don't want big rig drivers with road-rage problems.

Do you even drive?

They all seem to have road rage problems. I had one try to rear end me, because I took up space between him and his colleague ahead of him. I was just driving my Focus!

But he didn't know that I had front and rear facing cameras, and I took that footage to the RCMP, who charged him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am

Thanos Thanos:
Tricks Tricks:
Around here it's more dangerous to drive the speed limit than it is to speed, since no one goes it. Driving 100 on the 401 in the GTA is a genuinely terrifying experience.

Calgary too. It's go with the flow or don't get on the road at all.

This. Driving 10-20 kmph less than the flow of traffic is substantially more unsafe than driving 20 over but the same speed as everyone else.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:38 am

$1:
Those signs that you see that say "MERGE" means you must yield right of way to vehicles entering the motorway.

Merge means YOU must safely merge into the stream of traffic, not they have to let you in. Nothing worse than the idiot on the on ramp using a brake pedal instead of the gas.
If the truck driver SAW her coming regardless of that, he is the asshole. If she was pacing in his blind spot and cut in front, she is the moron.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:40 am

Tricks Tricks:
Thanos Thanos:
Tricks Tricks:
Around here it's more dangerous to drive the speed limit than it is to speed, since no one goes it. Driving 100 on the 401 in the GTA is a genuinely terrifying experience.

Calgary too. It's go with the flow or don't get on the road at all.

This. Driving 10-20 kmph less than the flow of traffic is substantially more unsafe than driving 20 over but the same speed as everyone else.

0:
Summer Tires Club.jpg
Summer Tires Club.jpg [ 48.59 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:58 am

herbie herbie:
$1:
Those signs that you see that say "MERGE" means you must yield right of way to vehicles entering the motorway.

Merge means YOU must safely merge into the stream of traffic, not they have to let you in. Nothing worse than the idiot on the on ramp using a brake pedal instead of the gas.
If the truck driver SAW her coming regardless of that, he is the asshole. If she was pacing in his blind spot and cut in front, she is the moron.

Hence my confusion before. My first thought when I saw the clip on the news the other day, given that it was her driver side up against the truck's grill, was that she merged in front of the truck in its massive blind spot like an idiot and ended up in that position.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

0:
Summer Tires Club.jpg

Has literally nothing to do with what I just said.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:40 pm

herbie herbie:
$1:

Wait you're not supposed to merge going 70 into 100?

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:42 pm

Goddam no wonder everyone bitches about Alberta drivers.
Merge signs are on the onramp, that means it's your responsibility to merge in safely. Sometimes there's a sign on the highway warning you of merging traffic ahead. Then you're warned to pay attention for idiots.
Like if more than 10% of drivers used that 'cruise control' thingy that's been on every fucking car made since the 1980s on the highway there'd be a 90% reduction in accidents.
But no, they know better. So well they aren't even concious they speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up and tailgate, slow down, speed up and eventually pass and then slow back down again. Race for ten kms to catch up into a wolf pack and not feel scared all by themselves in the dark and can tailgate again.
I have cameras to catch assholes that pass and then brake check, speed up so you can't merge, drive hogging the left lane etc.
And don't get too steamed about the Alberta thing, some people call 'em Prairie drivers.
-You can go the speed limit around a curve on the freeway, You won't roll over and burn like in the movies.
-WTF are you riding your brakes down a hill for? You're never gonna coast to over 100kmh!
-we really appreciate you pulling half of the road so people can pass. But NOT when there's a hilltop, a blind curve or a double solid no passing marking and we know you're gonna gun it to 130 soon as you see the passing lane coming up.
-when it rains it don't mean get close enough to the car in front so you can see his bumper.

We have our own sayings locally, about Vanderhoof (aka Jesusland, Hooterville) where there's only one car lot, a Ford dealer
- where the most expensive option offered is a gas pedal
- where the difference between the Amish and the Mennonites is they can drive an F350. So long as it's no faster than a horse.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:40 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

0:
Summer Tires Club.jpg

Has literally nothing to do with what I just said.

Has everything to do with what you wrote.

You drive for traffic conditions, not because everybody is doing it. If that means you drive 10, 20 even 50 under the speed limit, so be it. If you don't, you end up in the ditch with everyone else.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:44 am

herbie herbie:
Goddam no wonder everyone bitches about Alberta drivers.
Merge signs are on the onramp, that means it's your responsibility to merge in safely. Sometimes there's a sign on the highway warning you of merging traffic ahead. Then you're warned to pay attention for idiots.

No, there is always a sign. Whether you pay attention is a different story.

And even when people merge properly, you are lucky if the person already occupying that spot obeys the law and lets you in. Too many will tailgate the vehicle in front of them, giving you the choice of a smash up derby or slamming on the brakes and getting rear ended by the other people merging.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:52 am

xerxes xerxes:
The thing I’m still not clear on; is who merged into who? The driver says she was getting on to the highway when it happened. Did she not see the truck? Or did the truck not see her? I assume since it’s the trucker who’s getting all the tickets, he’s at fault. But it’s still ambiguous to me. But there’s also a lot of people out there who think they can beat a truck and then find out painfully how much big rigs can’t stop on a dime.

I used to see this all the time when I commuted. As much as some truck drivers irked me, it's far too easy to blame the truck on this one. Young girl in a Mini Cooper playing the sob story? Please. I've seen Mini Cooper drivers do things on the highway at on/off ramps do things I wouldn't have even attempted back when I had my Thunderbird.

People with smaller cars seems to take the biggest risks, and that includes getting on and off the highway. Add to the mix that most people behind the wheel are doing something with their cell phone while driving, and you have a dangerous situation ready to pop. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

-J.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next