canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:22 am

But having three dozen systems that comprise the same thing employs way more people to accomplish, and good Conservatives get three dozen chances to decide who doesn't deserve each one!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:31 am

herbie herbie:
But having three dozen systems that comprise the same thing employs way more people to accomplish

Your logic assumes that if UBI became a thing, it would replace EI, welfare, etc. in one flick of the magic wand? Look how many people waste EI and welfare, and yet I still have to pay taxes to help fund their insanity.

Futhermore, the country is running at such a bad deficit, that adding to it in this fashion doesn't even make a remote bit of sense.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:05 pm

In the same way that democratic senator is off, your attention to waste also needs calibration. LOOK AT THE GREED! THAT IS NOT EARNED IT IS STOLEN FROM ALL OF US!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Its funny how this thread started off about a bill that would endanger free speech. It took a hard turn.......went off the rails, and turned into something much bigger. It has actually turned into one of the best threads on any forum that I visit in a long time. Its making me want to put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger, but one of the best threads none the less. That is one of the things that I like most about this forum, its lack of thread topic nazis. Some forums have very strict rules about staying on topic. You veer off topic a little, and you get whacked. Warnings, suspensions, bannings. Some of the best conversations happen spontaneously, like this thread. I wish that there was a button that I could push to instantaneously rep everyone involved in this thread. Everyone involved has posted something that has made me stop and question my own beliefs about certain things. What more could you ask from a thread? Any way, great work to all of you involved in this thread. You have put out well thought out posts without resorting to personal insults. Anyways cheers to the mods for letting it continue off track, and cheers to the people posting for making it one of the best threads that I have read in a very long time.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
herbie herbie:
But having three dozen systems that comprise the same thing employs way more people to accomplish

Your logic assumes that if UBI became a thing, it would replace EI, welfare, etc. in one flick of the magic wand? Look how many people waste EI and welfare, and yet I still have to pay taxes to help fund their insanity.

Futhermore, the country is running at such a bad deficit, that adding to it in this fashion doesn't even make a remote bit of sense.

-J.

Economically, what makes more sense, a dozen departments run by many groups of people, or one department run by one group of people?

UBI replaces multiple probably bloated departments. You're missing the forest for the trees.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:15 pm

rickc rickc:
Its funny how this thread started off about a bill that would endanger free speech. It took a hard turn.......went off the rails, and turned into something much bigger. It has actually turned into one of the best threads on any forum that I visit in a long time. Its making me want to put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger, but one of the best threads none the less. That is one of the things that I like most about this forum, its lack of thread topic nazis. Some forums have very strict rules about staying on topic. You veer off topic a little, and you get whacked. Warnings, suspensions, bannings. Some of the best conversations happen spontaneously, like this thread. I wish that there was a button that I could push to instantaneously rep everyone involved in this thread. Everyone involved has posted something that has made me stop and question my own beliefs about certain things. What more could you ask from a thread? Any way, great work to all of you involved in this thread. You have put out well thought out posts without resorting to personal insults. Anyways cheers to the mods for letting it continue off track, and cheers to the people posting for making it one of the best threads that I have read in a very long time.

:lol: Until I read your post it didn't even occur to me that this thread had gone off the original topic. I just skimmed through the posts again and it seems the conversation has merely flowed in a different direction. No one has complained or reported it and everyone has been civil so why bother fussing?

Actually, when you think about it, it is about free speech. :idea:

It sounds like there are some rather nasty forums out there if they are that strict. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:46 pm

It always veers when the header subject isn't actually real.
Like when a temporary law during a pandemic is incessantly touted as a permanent restrictions of civil rights. Or a Bill to collect a tax and impose the same hate rules that exist for standing on a soapbox on the corner is portrayed as something else.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:35 pm

rickc rickc:
Its funny how this thread started off about a bill that would endanger free speech. It took a hard turn.......went off the rails, and turned into something much bigger. It has actually turned into one of the best threads on any forum that I visit in a long time.

One of the reasons why CKA is so awesome, and why I stayed a part of this community for as
long as I have. I might harbour differences with a lot of people here due to my views and ideas, but I have a certain level of respect for this community and the people in it.

After all, we're all Canadians.

rickc rickc:
That is one of the things that I like most about this forum, its lack of thread topic nazis. Some forums have very strict rules about staying on topic. You veer off topic a little, and you get whacked. Warnings, suspensions, bannings. Some of the best conversations happen spontaneously, like this thread.

Anyone can pull a trigger and abuse mod powers, but it's the leeway we get from the admin here that help the discussions turn into excellent debates and whatnot. It also denotes the maturity of all involved to maintain what we have here instead of one person using their 'power' to stymie anything just because they don't agree with it.

-J.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:29 pm

Strutz Strutz:
rickc rickc:

:lol: Until I read your post it didn't even occur to me that this thread had gone off the original topic. I just skimmed through the posts again and it seems the conversation has merely flowed in a different direction. No one has complained or reported it and everyone has been civil so why bother fussing?

Actually, when you think about it, it is about free speech. :idea:

It sounds like there are some rather nasty forums out there if they are that strict. :|

I have been going to the Dominican Republic since the 90's. There is a forum dedicated to the Dominican Republic (I don't want to name it). The guy that used to run it had a very strict policy of EVERY thread had to be about the Dominican Republic in some way. When 9/11 happened the only way that we could address it was how the lack of flights from the U.S. was going to hurt tourism in the Dominican Republic. Nothing about New York City or the pentagon. Famous people would die. If they were not from the Dominican Republic or did not die in the Dominican Republic, we could not talk about it. You would have to say: "famous musician WHO TOURED THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IN 1979 died today" It was crazy!!! It sucked because it was a really great forum with very smart expats from Canada, Europe and the U.S.A., who were living in the Dominican Republic. A lot of very smart people from the Dominican Republic as well were on the forum. Any thing that you wanted to know about the Dominican Republic, you could find on this forum. We just were not allowed to talk about anything else. People that interesting and well traveled, have a lot to say about a lot of things. I would have loved to hear more from them on different topics.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 pm

What exactly is a Charter statement, and why are the Tories calling for a new one for C-10?
$1:
Another procedural factor to take into consideration: As Global News reported last night, the Liberals are now promising to bring in amendments to “make [it] crystal clear” that “content people upload on social media won’t be considered as programming under the Act, and that it won’t be regulated by the CRTC.”

Given the confusion over the decision to drop the exemption, it might not be a bad idea to have those same lawyers on hand to confirm that any proposed changes would have the desired effect, which would also be logistically tricky to do via written Charter statement.

In any case, given that this sort of back-and-forth is virtually guaranteed to happen in future, perhaps it would make sense to look at expanding the current Charter statement requirement to include a process for updating the review in the event that a bill undergoes substantial changes at committee.

Finally, if all else fails, there’s always the Process Nerd preferred approach to making justice ministers extra careful to ensure legislation introduced by their government is fully Charter-proof: If a legal challenge against a law brought in under their tenure makes it to the Supreme Court of Canada, they have to defend it in person, up to and including fielding pointed questions on the letter and intent of the fine print from the bench.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Or, the government could just stop trying to create and ram through freedom-destroying bills altogether and LEAVE EVERYONE THE FUCK ALONE.

Problem solved.

-J.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:06 pm

You won't see this but, That's what Government does, and where we agree.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:56 am

UBI may become imperative at some point. We are probably about to enter an era of automation that will make the Industrial Revolution look like child's play, and many serious folks are saying that jobs will be permanently lost at a far greater rate than new jobs can replace them. Not just cashiers and drivers--who anybody can see their days are numbered--but business analytics, surgery, programming, law enforcement, military.

But it'll be a Golden Age for the Repo Man. one which will never end!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Or, the government could just stop trying to create and ram through freedom-destroying bills altogether and LEAVE EVERYONE THE FUCK ALONE.

Problem solved.

-J.

Except the largest pusher of the changes to C-10 isn't the liberals' it ROGERS and BELL.

Rogers and Trump