Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2014-02-25 07:06:30
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 am

only half? that surprises me. Qc is a place where you can't do business, it isn't set up for much more than a welfare state. Full of snobby people that think they are entitled to everything.

There isn't enough money in the world that would get me to live there.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 am

Ditto that.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 am

uwish uwish:
only half? that surprises me. Qc is a place where you can't do business, it isn't set up for much more than a welfare state. Full of snobby people that think they are entitled to everything.

never seen a more lucid post on the subject.

It's sad really,there is so much potential for a truly fabulous lifestyle at every turn.

But unless your pure French Canadian there is always that daily occurrence where it's made known.

Why people cannot get along especially in Canada is so last century. lol.

I can you give instance after instance where some low life french "person" directed me wrong, ignored me when I could tell they knew what I asked, or were just cold as hell.

Then you have these uber intellectual artistic fabulous people you just want to have in your life.

I have a few French canadian friends that I love. They really have a special knack for bringing a certain quality to the moment that does come from their culture.

So thats it then, too many idiots who drink from that centuries old cup of bigotry and hatred to anyone but your own "kind".

Look what they are trying to do with pieces of cloth people wear.

so small minded

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 am

Count_Lothian Count_Lothian:
uwish uwish:

It's sad really,there is so much potential for a truly fabulous lifestyle at every turn.

But unless your pure French Canadian there is always that daily occurrence where it's made known.

I can you give instance after instance where some low life french "person" directed me wrong, ignored me when I could tell they knew what I asked, or were just cold as hell.

Did you even attempt to speak the language? I've been to QC numerous times and I can honestly say, the only true dickhead I ran across was from NY state :lol:

My French is terrible but I noticed that if you at least TRY to speak in French there, you get more tolerance. I've seen too many people go there with the attitude that they better damn well speak English. Most of them can and do speak English, but even a token attempt to speak French to them goes a long way.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:07 am

Spoke French during my time in QC, never had a problem with the locals.

They loved, said I had a wonderful accent.

The politicians, however.... :roll:

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:10 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
uwish uwish:

Did you even attempt to speak the language? I've been to QC numerous times and I can honestly say, the only true dickhead I ran across was from NY state :lol:

My French is terrible but I noticed that if you at least TRY to speak in French there, you get more tolerance. I've seen too many people go there with the attitude that they better damn well speak English. Most of them can and do speak English, but even a token attempt to speak French to them goes a long way.

Yes i do speak a rudimentary French and I usually start off with this…
Je Parle Mal mais jeux Comprehend très bien.

I can get along with French .

But you do realize that you just pointed out that one must try at least to speak french.
That in and of itself is so anti social in a continent of English.

I am not anti Quebec, I love the place and visit every few years.

Montreal and Quebec city are great places to spend some time.
If you think what i posted is off base fine.
But I know what has gone down around me and am not going to fill a page with years of bullshit brought about by small minded separatists.

Leveasque and his cronies were aware of what they were focusing on and fed into the bullshit of the Maudi Anglais trying to take away the French culture. they based their whole political platform on it.

In real life, pre forming those parties, Levesques vied for a liberal seat.
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... -levesque/

so whats up with that eh?

edit ; my bad on the wording…i wanted to explain how he was a Liberal and vied for various position in it..
not going to delete the words.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:22 am

[thinks: John Diefenbaker accent ...]

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:28 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

[thinks: John Diefenbaker accent ...]

Really? I would like to know where you got that from, sounds interesting.

I had a guy about 30 years ago tell me to use it when approaching the unapproachable…lol.
over time I've tried to learn some french for i do love the culture and the province.
I have a series of places I eat at every time I go.
One is on this little island East of Quebec city, really old converted mill with excellent cuisine.

maybe it's me…but I end up with these separatists arseholes every time I go there..

*braces for pseudo shrink telling everyone I look for it*

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:30 am

One is on this little island East of Quebec city, really old converted mill with excellent cuisine.

D'Orleans?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:34 am

But you do realize that you just pointed out that one must try at least to speak french.
Well let's be straight here, I never said one MUST try to speak the language, but it's not a bad idea to at least attempt it.

martin14 martin14:

But I know what has gone down around me and am not going to fill a page with years of bullshit brought about by small minded separatists.

No fears. I didn't think what you posted was off base at all.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:47 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

D'Orleans?

Thats it!!!
Actually this one I went to the first time two years ago, but will go again.
Amazingly affordable for food thats out of this world good.
We had an early lunch, which was four courses.
It topped another old town restaurant for me , the Continental.
There everything is flambéed and so good.

Once when the Canadian dollar was 65cents, I noticed a few people near by with their deep american southern accents pissing themselves laughing showing each other the bill..

At the time for 45 bucks you got this four course duck a la orange (half a duck each) meal flamed at your table.

Figure in a 65 cents dollar and you had to notice the americans freaking out quite happily.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 am

Well let's be straight here, I never said one MUST try to speak the language, but it's not a bad idea to at least attempt it.

martin14 martin14:

No fears. I didn't think what you posted was off base at all.

i can be quite touchy about certain subjects and this medium does not afford that aspect of my personality too well.

cheers

give us a hug! lol.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 pm

When I went there this summer, I felt extremely uncomfortable, even after trying to speak French initially (my French is pretty limited I fully admit). Most of the time, they couldn't (or wouldn't) understand me.

Personally, I felt more comfortable in Asia on past trips than I did in Quebec last summer.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:19 pm

To be honest, it can go either way. Obviously it does help a bit if you try to speak French, but there are always the assholes who look down upon you for not being a Quebecois. I think it really depends on if they're purely Quebecois, or if they're non-Quebecois ethnicity. I don't think I ever had an issue in areas where there are a lot of English speakers (Laval, St. Leonard, West Island) but on the South Shore? Forget it.