canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:21 am

Title: Most Canadian households will get more than they pay from carbon tax: PBO | CTV News
Category: Political
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2020-02-04 07:16:37
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:21 am

seems to go against the alarmist mantra of 'discouraging' usage...and someone tell me how this isn't really just a form of wealth redistribution?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:03 am

uwish uwish:
...and someone tell me how this isn't really just a form of wealth redistribution?
In this case, the fools and useful idiots think they are buying their way to salvation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 pm

uwish uwish:
seems to go against the alarmist mantra of 'discouraging' usage...and someone tell me how this isn't really just a form of wealth redistribution?

People who choose to use more fossil fuels are choosing to redistribute a small portion of their wealth to those that choose to use less. The choice is up to the individual.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:50 pm

Typical Canadian government dishonesty and hypocrisy in action. Identical to what they did with tobacco. Hate the product, try to cripple the producers, get on their virtue-signalling podium to demonize the users, and at the same time collect massive amounts of taxation off of something that provides them with a critical amount of revenue for all their other little precious schemes and pay-offs. And never ban it either, not just because of the taxes it provides, but because they simply can't live without a convenient target to incessantly white-knight crusade against.

Too bad hypocrisy isn't a length of wire because Canada deserves to have it wrapped around it's throat and tightened until it chokes to death.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Since almost all citizens will collect more than they pay, its not possible that the government is collecting “ massive amounts of taxation off of something that provides them with a critical amount of revenue for all their other little precious schemes“ , is it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 pm

How about not collecting taxes at all if they just have to send most of it back to the individual or business anyway? :?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 pm

Thanos Thanos:
How about not collecting taxes at all if they just have to send most of it back to the individual or business anyway? :?

Never seen a leftist with a tax he didn't like.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:17 am

Thanos Thanos:

Because most people will choose to maximize profit by reducing consumption of fossil fuels while pocketing the tax credit.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:39 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Thanos Thanos:

Because most people will choose to maximize profit by reducing consumption of fossil fuels while pocketing the tax credit.

I've been waiting for it to occur to people that "Households" aren't the only ones paying this carbon levy. Business and Industry will also pay it, and they have the advantage of not being voters and also much larger polluters than Households.

And it is a levy, because Taxes don't get refunded.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:09 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Since almost all citizens will collect more than they pay, its not possible that the government is collecting “ massive amounts of taxation off of something that provides them with a critical amount of revenue for all their other little precious schemes“ , is it?

Remember when the GST was just temporary? AND there were rebates for things you could submit receipts for and get most of it back? HUM that went away very quickly didn't it...one budget away from removing ANY of those 'carbon' rebates and you have a net negative effect NEW TAX.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Nope. Never recalled Mulroney saying it would be temporary or filling out forms for personal rebates. Checked a line on the income tax form, now I don't even have to do that and still get GST rebates. Join the other rush of shoppers when they come out.
You must live in some other country.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 pm

GST was never temporary. It replaced all the hidden taxes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:36 pm

When was the last time any taxes have been promised by the politicians to be temporary anyway? I can't recall ever hearing any of them say anything like that in my lifetime. It's a silly assumption to make, and bringing up that kind of promise from World War One or Two really doesn't prove much of a point these days. If I want them to stop "promising" anything in regards to taxation it would be that a specific tax will be used for a specific reason or program only, when in reality most of them end up in general revenues and spent on things they weren't intended for as they get transferred from program to program, especially before elections.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am

Income tax was promised to be temporary in WW1 but I don't even know if that was here or in the USA. So long ago, it's irrelevant.
As for those constantly whining as if wealth redistribution is a bad thing, it's only because capitalist economies do such a shitty job of it, something has to.