canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:13 am

$1:
Abandoned oil and gas wells put unfair burden on Alberta landowners, taxpayers, study says

A report from the University of Calgary says the costs of Alberta's growing stock of abandoned and inactive oil and gas wells are falling unfairly on landowners and taxpayers.

Braeden Larson of the university's School of Public Policy says the scope of the problem is growing rapidly.

He says more than half of all oil and gas wells in the province no longer produce but haven't been cleaned up.

Over the last six years, the number of inactive wells has quintupled and those wells are staying quiet for longer — more than half have been inactive for more than a decade.

Larson quotes earlier research suggesting more than 10 per cent of inactive wells leak.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6033830

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:20 am

The longer I live here the more I regret leaving Barrie.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:24 am

llama66 llama66:
The longer I live here the more I regret leaving Barrie.

You shouldn't. Industry back east dumps their cleanup costs on the taxpayer too. And it can be just as toxic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:50 am

In BC its mines. So many abandoned mines. The mining industry complains about regulatory hurdles to open a mine, but consider that the federal liability for contaminated sites on federal and northern (territorial) lands is about 6 billion. Two abandoned mines--Giant Mine, NWT and Faro Mine, Yukon, account for about half of that.

Oh, and last year some Chinese investors that bought a pulp mill on Vancouver Island walked away, leaving tens of thousands of gallons of chemicals just sitting there. Plus the Chinese walked away from a mine in BC recently.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:54 am

See! ^^^

Externalize costs, internalize profits.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:18 am

$1:
Donna Kennedy-Glans says Steve Allan regrets signing on to public inquiry into anti-Alberta energy campaigns

'I actually recommended to Steve three extensions ago that he just stop it,' former conservative MLA says

A former conservative MLA who sat on the province's fair deal panel says the commissioner of the public inquiry into anti-Alberta energy campaigns regrets getting involved in the project, which has been beset by delays, cost overruns and controversy.

Donna Kennedy-Glans told CBC's West of Centre podcast that she's talked with Steve Allan about the inquiry — which, earlier this week, had its deadline extended for the fourth time — and believes he's unhappy with how the whole process has unfolded.

"I actually talked to Steve Allan about why another extension," Kennedy-Glans said.

"It's almost like it's become a negotiation between Steve and the team that supports him and the minister of energy. And it's like no one's really clear or happy about what the outcome is supposed to be."

Public inquiry into anti-Alberta energy campaigns granted another deadline extension

"I actually recommended to Steve three extensions ago that he just stop it," she added.

"Did you get the sense that he was regretting even signing on to this?" podcast host Kathleen Petty asked.

"Oh, unequivocally, yes," Kennedy-Glans replied.

Allan, a forensic accountant, was tapped in 2019 to lead the inquiry, which had an initial budget of $2.5 million and a deadline of July 2020.

The budget was later expanded to $3.5 million and the deadline repeatedly extended.

On Wednesday, Energy Minister Sonya Savage said the report is now expected to be submitted to the provincial government by the end of July 2021, a full year behind the original schedule.

The province must make the report public within three months of receiving it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6036780

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:30 pm

In other words the commission was given a conclusion by the UCP and charged to find evidence to support it. And if the commission can't find any evidence? Well, we'll just have to stick with the conclusion anyway because it's a big piece of the red meat we like to throw to The Base.

Oddly enough this should have been fairly easy to prove, given that one of the first things Trudeau did in 2015 after being elected was get rid of any federal oversight on charities, especially on environmental ones committed to attacking the O&G sector. So there was and still is smoke coming from somewhere when it comes to anti-O&G activity. Leave it to the UCP though to turn the effort into such a hyper-partisan politicized mess of their own that they end up making Trudeau's and the environmentalist's own one-sided & bigoted & destructive political machinations look cozy & loveable & heart-warming in comparison.

Can anyone in this provincial government of ours do anything right at all? It's so fucking incompetent it's making Trump 45's admin look hyper-efficient and effective in comparison. :evil:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:13 am

Thanos Thanos:
In other words the commission was given a conclusion by the UCP and charged to find evidence to support it. And if the commission can't find any evidence? Well, we'll just have to stick with the conclusion anyway because it's a big piece of the red meat we like to throw to The Base.

Which is why I am surprised that they couldn't prove in court that the commission was political and not in the public interest.

The flaw that the UCP has is that environmentalists are just against the O&G industry, and not actually trying to make the world a better place.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:33 am

$1:
Teachers assembly votes non-confidence in Alberta education minister

Alberta's teachers have lost confidence in provincial Education Minister Adriana LaGrange, according to a Sunday vote by association representatives this weekend.

The annual representative assembly of the Alberta Teachers' Association, held virtually this year, acts in a parliamentary function to pass resolutions on the future and policy of the organization. It includes more than 450 teacher delegates who represent each of the ATA's 55 locals.

A resolution to express a loss of confidence in Education Minister Adriana LaGrange was jointly drafted by 20 locals this year, according to the ATA.

It passed with 99 per cent of the vote.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6038125

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:17 pm

Kids back to school (again) tomorrow after a far-too-short circuit-breaker time-out:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... strictions

Expect Alberta's fourth COVID wave to hit sometime in mid-June because school-age children are still alarmingly high in numbers of cases and not enough of them have been vaccinated yet. Yeah, this is our government's leadership. :roll: :evil:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:31 am

$1:
Indigenous leaders, elder feel used by Alberta government tactics to bolster new curriculum

Some Alberta Indigenous leaders and an elder say the provincial government has used them or misrepresented their positions to gain endorsements for a new elementary school curriculum they do not support.

On March 29, as Education Minister Adriana LaGrange released proposed drafts of a new curriculum in every subject, in English and French, Lubicon Lake Chief Billy-Joe Laboucan was invited to speak.

Before the news conference, Laboucan had seen only a page-and-a-half summary of how the curriculum would include First Nations, Inuit and Métis history and contributions.

"I have reviewed the K-6 curriculum draft and I very much support it and see it as a really good start," he said at the time.

But when he later saw the hundreds of pages in the actual draft curriculum, his perspective changed.

"I felt betrayed, because, I mean, they sought my advice, and I said yes. And I was a bit misconstrued," he said in an interview last month. "It made me look like the token Indian."

Successive provincial governments have been trying to modernize the curriculum for a decade.

Laboucan said the United Conservative Party's draft has regressed not only from the former NDP government's proposed draft but from the curriculum currently in use.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6033499

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:44 am

RCMP investigating, family shaken after shots fired on Alberta campsite: ‘A rifle… he’s shooting’

Nice. :roll:

I'd say this was a random sniper incident, but the fuckers aim was pretty bad.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:25 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
$1:
Racist mayoral candidate Kevin J. Johnston is about to have all Calgary voters' names, addresses

In the not-so-distant future, a man who has a history of racist, hateful, allegedly violent behaviour and is attempting to publish the private information of Alberta Health Services employees is set to receive a list that includes the names, addresses and phone numbers of every Calgarian eligible to vote.

That's because Kevin J. Johnston, known for organizing, leading and speaking at far-right protests against government-imposed pandemic restrictions, is running for mayor of Calgary.

In his capacity as an official candidate, Johnston will receive voter information for everyone in the city the day after nominations close in September.

Johnston is currently facing an assault charge in B.C., hate crimes charges in Ontario and has made numerous posts online attempting to get the addresses of AHS employees with threats to show up at their homes armed.

But when reached for comment by CBC News, Johnston said he did not issue threats.

"That's absolutely inaccurate," said Johnston. "What I've done is I've issued a promise."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6020029

Aaaannndd . . . he got himself arrested. :lol:

Calgary mayoral candidate who threatened health-care workers arrested in Edmonton

ROTFL

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:21 am

I don't know what's worse, him running for mayor, or the people who will vote for him running for mayor.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 7  8  9  10  11  12  Next