canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:29 am

Title: People waste way more food than thought, UN finds. Here's how Canada compares
Category: Environmental
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2021-03-05 07:12:00
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:29 am

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:21 am

I am 90% carnivore, we don't waste much in this house...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:41 am

uwish uwish:

It takes 10 times the amount of feed to produce animal protein than you get out of it.

You waste quite a lot.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:11 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
uwish uwish:

It takes 10 times the amount of feed to produce animal protein than you get out of it.

You waste quite a lot.

Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:48 am

It seems every couple of years an article appears about food waste. There is no way to change people's habits when it comes to managing this even if you were to remind them constantly. With the increase in cost to just about everything in the grocery stores these days hopefully more people will become more conscious about it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
uwish uwish:

You waste quite a lot.

don't care, it's healthier and I won't change.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:12 pm

As a second-hand vegetarian I waste nothing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:12 pm

I'll freely admit we waste some food, but we do our damnedest not to. I can't speak for other people, but for us it's usually produce. When it comes to best before dates, I almost never pay attention to those - I give it a smell and if it's okay, toss it into whatever I'm cooking, knowing the heat will kill off most germs.

On the flip side, we have a big garden and grow a lot of our veggies in the summer, and even some in the winter (cherry tomatoes and green onions).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:44 pm

I live with a food hoarder, we waste shit loads of food. Fidge and freezer always overflowing. She used to be a camp cook and still cooks double what I could eat back when I was 35.
The grandkids come and I have to yell at her to stop offering 3,700 choices of cookie/snack/goodie, no shit she literally goes on for ten minutes with choices that an 8 year old could never decide on, then piles the table like it was in the mess hall of a mining camp.
The very first thing she did was rip out the separator in the freezer and use it as a planter, so to find shit you literally empty it and there's food spread thru the mudroom if you ever get to the bottom. So thruthfully, I don't even fucking look in there it's such a PITA. I keep a little bag in the fridge freezer with a handful of shrimp for my Mr Noodles.
She did a 'clean out' last week and our friend was in shock. 90% of the "freezer burnt meat for your dogs" was perfectly edible, the friend commented to me under her breath like "WTF this is $200 worth of meat!"
She bakes 2 dozen cookies, a pie and a cake at the same time when there's just me. Then she hits the store for Oreos (she like Mr Crappy's industrial edibles) and remembers I love donuts and brings a tray of those too. She's an amazing cook and baker, but never eats more than one slice of her own.... so it goes stale or I'd weigh 900 lbs and be on TV. Then she gives the stale stuff to a friend to feed her crows with. Yesterday our friend took home a Costco coffee pod box full of crow food...
BTW I don't like leftovers. She makes sure all our friends know that. In 15 years she hasn't clued in that I only don't like leftovers of food I didn't like in the first place like Mac&Cheese, meatloaf, stews, leftover disgusting 'railway' Chinese takeout and home made soups. And cooked CRAWLYFLOWER (puke).
I know there;s a lot of food waste. Half of it comes from my house.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:55 pm

uwish uwish:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
uwish uwish:

You waste quite a lot.

don't care, it's healthier and I won't change.

It's not healthier. Meat consumption, and animal protein in general, has a direct relationship to several types of cancers. The only place meat eating is considered 'manly' in by advertising agencies who have fostered that belief.

I don't care if you change, I do care that you have the facts. You wouldn't use a water system that dumped 9/10 litres on the ground would you? You wouldn't drive a car that got 100l/100 km, would you?

So why waste food by feeding it to animals, so you can eat them? It's a waste of resources.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:58 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'll freely admit we waste some food, but we do our damnedest not to.

Any veggies that I might waste, go into my composter and become veggies in my garden next year. On the rare occasion that I throw away meat, I leave it outside for the magpies. So it doesn't really go to waste. (you should see what they do to a chicken carcass!)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:13 pm

Bit of a red herring. There's more food being produced than every before in human history so it's not like there's any shortage whatsoever. What's wrong is that getting it to people who need remains a wildly imperfect system. That's what needs to be concentrated on, not worrying about if some jackass tosses a perfectly fine burger out the window of his car after only two bites.

The food banks for example should be under a government agency, like the health departments. That way a minimum of nutrition could be allocated to those who need it, and acquired from a dedicated supply chain instead of relying on donations. It would be an easy fix with the only necessity being a backbone in the politicians to keep them from running away in terror from the miserable-spirited scolds who'd pull their typical "why should I help those losers?" card the way they do every time a social problem occurs. I'd like to see an end in my lifetime of governments not backing off of doing the right thing in order to cater to the likes of SUN readers or FOX viewers, not that it will be likely to ever happen.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:23 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
I'll freely admit we waste some food, but we do our damnedest not to.

Any veggies that I might waste, go into my composter and become veggies in my garden next year. On the rare occasion that I throw away meat, I leave it outside for the magpies. So it doesn't really go to waste. (you should see what they do to a chicken carcass!)

We have a spinning composter, and I use it in the garden over the spring, summer and fall, by which time it is usually empty, so I start a compost pile in my garden in September (after we've harvested most veggies) and turn it every few days until freeze up. Then in the spring, I take the compost pile and move it back to the composter and start all over.

I agree about magpies - my Mom used to feed them all the time with leftovers and they are incredible scavengers.

I don't waste meat - if it gets freezer burn, I grind it up and make chili or curry with it. Enough spices and long, slow cooking solves most meat issues. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:29 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Enough spices and long, slow cooking solves most meat issues. :wink:

That's what Frank Costanza thought. Didn't quite work out the way he intended. 8)