Title: Public servants underpaid after issues with new payroll system
Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2021-01-16 11:28:21
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Government has problems with lowest bidder's software. Employees don't get paid. Hmmm where have I heard this story before?

I guess picking the German built SAP system wasn't such a good deal. Too bad there wasn't a Canadian company that has similar software that is tried and true and running in the governments of 32 US states.

Oh, wait . . .

https://www.cgi.com/en/solutions/cgi-advantage

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:47 pm

I find it hard to have sympathy for people who already make more than most and are set for life with their benefits, perks, retirement pensions, etc.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:49 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I find it hard to have sympathy for people who already make more than most and are set for life with their benefits, perks, retirement pensions, etc.

-J.

I find people who don't know what they are talking about to be annoying.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:09 pm

I had a good job with benefits, perks, retirement pensions, etc.

Go f*** yourself, CDN_PATRIOT. PDT_Armataz_01_27

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:15 pm

Exactly. Repeating myths isn't knowledge. You couldn't get me to become a government employee, especially in Alberta right now.

They don't even have coffee machines, let alone coffee, in their 'break' rooms! What wonderful perks!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 pm

My daughter put in 11 years with a major corp. until she was 32.
When she left she made as much as I did and had almost as good benefits as I did when she was born.
The wife with 15 years in a busted union job makes what I did in 1990. She has to book medical appointments on her days off, they can change her shift schedule in 24 hours. We has to rush home from holiday 2 days early once.
The conservative myths must be repeated often. They keep the wealthy rich and you a peon.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 pm

herbie herbie:
My daughter put in 11 years with a major corp. until she was 32.
When she left she made as much as I did and had almost as good benefits as I did when she was born.
The wife with 15 years in a busted union job makes what I did in 1990. She has to book medical appointments on her days off, they can change her shift schedule in 24 hours. We has to rush home from holiday 2 days early once.
The conservative myths must be repeated often. They keep the wealthy rich and you a peon.

Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek are two perfect examples of the saying that the evil that men do lives after them, while the good they did is often interred with their bones.

As for public servants having pensions set for life, it's not so great here in Alberta when their pensions' management are reassigned to a less-than-stellar manager. We don't all have the Ontario Teachers' Pension Fund.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:19 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:

As for public servants having pensions set for life, it's not so great here in Alberta when their pensions' management are reassigned to a less-than-stellar manager. We don't all have the Ontario Teachers' Pension Fund.

That fund is for the grandfathered employees. When the hiring freeze came in with Redford, the contract was changed so that employees moved to a contribution only based retirement scheme. They retire on what they save, with modest contributions by the employer, same as the rest of us.

Thanks, Reagan! :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:53 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

What a load of crap. Civil servants don't make anywhere near what those in the private sector often do.

If you want to be pissed off at someone, look at CEOs and executives who make six, seven or even eight figure salaries (once all their bonuses and stock options and added in).

Even middle managers in the private sector often earn more than their public sector counterparts because they get higher salaries, Christmas bonuses, stock options, and other perks civil servant do not.

I will agree that civil servants have better benefits, typically because they prioritize work/life balance over earnings. If they choose to work a 40 hour week and make $100,000/year instead of a 60 hour week with $150,000/year, that is their right.

And the old defined benefit pensions are history and have been replaced by defined contribution pensions. And because they earn less than their private sector counterparts, they usually have less retirement benefits.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:17 pm

He's just towing the standard mantra used to justify cutting the civil service without having to think about the concequences.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Right back at you, numbnuts. If you have any further issues with something I post, PM me and work it out. Don't hide behind neg reps.

Ah, negative rep, the cowardly way to fight back when you've got nothing to debate other than ad homemins and rhetoric.

It's also pretty hypocritical for you to tell me to use a PM when you've publicly posted this in my rep points.