canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:46 am

Title: U.S. deserter Bowe Bergdahl won't serve prison time for actions in Afghanistan
Category: Military
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2017-11-03 10:47:39

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:46 am

Dishonourably Discharged. isn't a punishment it's a job termination with no major ramifications. This isn't a case of a guy who was drafted. This is a volunteer who's cowardly actions caused the death of his comrades.

As for endangering fellow troops. FFS he didn't endanger them he got them killed. I don't care how much intel he provided the fact is that this is a slap in the face for the families of the 6 soldiers killed that had to go looking for him.

I wonder given the political climate in the States, how much of a roll the former President's calling this asshole a "hero" had in this moral sucking decision?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
I wonder given the political climate in the States, how much of a roll the former President's calling this asshole a "hero" had in this moral sucking decision?

Remember this?

Does it piss us off yet?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Fuck Obama.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Fuck Donald Trump.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:45 pm

It’s still a dishonourable discharge. He won’t get any more benefits from the army, or pension or a military funeral. It’s not nothing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Who'd ever hire him either? He'll be lucky if he doesn't get chased out of town the way exposed pedophiles are wherever he tries to settle down. At best he'll end up on the rubber chicken anti-war activist circuit with the likes of Cindy Sheehan ranting about how Dubya and Mossad did 9/11.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Who'd ever hire him either? He'll be lucky if he doesn't get chased out of town the way exposed pedophiles are wherever he tries to settle down. At best he'll end up on the rubber chicken anti-war activist circuit with the likes of Cindy Sheehan ranting about how Dubya and Mossad did 9/11.

Some liberal media outfit will probably hire the guy just to piss off the military.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:20 pm

xerxes xerxes:
It’s still a dishonourable discharge. He won’t get any more benefits from the army, or pension or a military funeral. It’s not nothing.

Yeah, what are the families of those 6 dead soldiers that died because of him bitching about anyway...

Plus give us a few years to revise history a bit and he'll be a hero again...just like Obama.

Right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:21 pm

xerxes xerxes:

You can keep trying to minimize his action and the lack of punishment he received for them but getting a dishonorable discharge for desertion and cowardice in the face of the enemy is still nothing when you consider that the maximum penalties for those actions is death.

As for his benefits, 3 years service isn't long enough to get a pension or VA assistance unless you're injured and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be asking for a military funeral because nobody would have shown up given the fact that he left his mates hanging when he went over the hill and gave aid to the enemy which, by the way is another indictable offense that has a maximum penalty of death.

I'm sorry but I must be a callous asshole or something because when I hear about what a crappy life poor Bowe Bergdahl had and how the American military kept picking on him despite the fact he was a genuine hero, I can't help but think about the six people who are no longer with us because of this unselfish mans courageous actions. (sarcasm off)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:49 pm

xerxes xerxes:

You can keep trying to minimize his action and the lack of punishment he received for them but getting a dishonorable discharge for desertion and cowardice in the face of the enemy is still nothing when you consider that the maximum penalties for those actions is death.

As for his benefits, 3 years service isn't long enough to get a pension or VA assistance unless you're injured and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be asking for a military funeral because nobody would have shown up given the fact that he left his mates hanging when he went over the hill and gave aid to the enemy which, by the way is another indictable offense that has a maximum penalty of death.

I'm sorry but I must be a callous asshole or something because when I hear about what a crappy life poor Bowe Bergdahl had and how the American military kept picking on him despite the fact he was a genuine hero, I can't help but think about the six people who are no longer with us because of this unselfish mans courageous actions. (sarcasm off)

I'm no more qualified than my fellow non-combatant in the White House to judge this guy. I would say that at least he didn't profit from his actions. By that criterion, you'd have to execute nearly every spy before you got to him and that doesn't happen any more. Years of torture and solitary confinement are what he earned for himself.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Thanos Thanos:

Some liberal media outfit will probably hire the guy just to piss off the military.

I would not be surprised to see him teaching at some liberal arts university next semester.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
xerxes xerxes:

I'm no more qualified than my fellow non-combatant in the White House to judge this guy. I would say that at least he didn't profit from his actions. By that criterion, you'd have to execute nearly every spy before you got to him and that doesn't happen any more. Years of torture and solitary confinement are what he earned for himself.

Nobody expected him to be executed but what everyone I know in the military did expect, was at least a prison sentence in Fort Leavenworth Kansas. This example of "compassion" flies in the face of discipline and gives those who follow a ready made excuse to cut and run because they know that the precedence has been set for those actions.

As for him suffering years of torture and solitary confinement sufficing as his punishment, I have a question. Was the US Gov't in anyway responsible for the reception he got from his new found Afghan friends and if he did actually suffer those years of torture and solitary confinement like he claims then, he should take it up with the Taliban because it's an issue between those two parties and has absolutely nothing to do with his cowardly actions while serving in the US Military?

I'm sorry but, he's nothing more than a coward who put his own life ahead of his brothers and broke a sacred trust so, in my humble opinion, the punishment meted out by this court martial for his crimes is far from just.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Why would they waste anything on him? They did the best thing for the Army. Out the door, begone.
Making people who equate justice with punishment happy isn't their job.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:51 pm

herbie herbie:
Why would they waste anything on him? They did the best thing for the Army. Out the door, begone.
Making people who equate justice with punishment happy isn't their job.

Good to know that you think justice shouldn't include any ramifications for committing a crime and do tell why you think the Army letting this deserter walk was the best thing for for them?