CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:58 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:56 pm

I'm hoping that Henry Cavill now has enough gravitas and power as an actor to not let a picture he's involved in turn into some kind of shit circus, especially for a remake of something as beloved as Highlander. That being said a Highlander re-imagining could be what's needed to wash away all the rotten memories of all the sequels to the original, and erase away the traces of that extremely dopey Highlander tv series. Only the original film was good (to borderline great), but everything else made under that name was pretty bad and doesn't need to be remembered.

A "Canada - France co-production"? Get stuffed, mate. :roll:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:40 am

Thanos Thanos:
That being said a Highlander re-imagining could be what's needed to wash away all the rotten memories of all the sequels to the original, and erase away the traces of that extremely dopey Highlander tv series.

Absolutely, "The Quickening" needs to be forgotten. But I liked the TV series, and they tied the two together nicely with that last movie.

That said, stop making remakes of movies no one was asking for! Be like Netflix or AMC and take some fucking chances on unique script ideas before you re-fuck up good films.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:22 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:
That being said a Highlander re-imagining could be what's needed to wash away all the rotten memories of all the sequels to the original, and erase away the traces of that extremely dopey Highlander tv series.

That said, stop making remakes of movies no one was asking for! Be like Netflix or AMC and take some fucking chances on unique script ideas before you re-fuck up good films.

You're both right, but I agree it's time for Hollywood to start writing again and stop rebooting every goddamn thing from 30 to 60 years ago.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:00 pm

Sadly it's what they do. New IP is like opening a restaurant, sure it sounds lucrative but most fail within a few years as either the staff can't get it together or the management screwed up the books or the new theme they spend thousands on renovating bombed. It why they look to buying established brands and then turning them into shit like star trek and star wars. Sure, it's all downhill but until the plebs catch wind of what's going on they can still squeeze the IP for everything its worth.

I for one see highlander as a classic because of Sean and Clancy, everything else was fluff. Hell, the highlander himself was wooden and couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag but that was his character. It just doesn't float for a tv series.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:24 pm

Scape Scape:
I for one see highlander as a classic because of Sean and Clancy, everything else was fluff. Hell, the highlander himself was wooden and couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag but that was his character. It just doesn't float for a tv series.

Yea, I recently re-watched it, and yea, the acting was pretty thin. I don't recall that actor being in anything again. I don't even remember his name.

I do like how Clancy Brown has popped up over the years since. Starship Troopers, Thor:Ragarock, Spongebob Squarepants, The Punisher, The Mandalorian. ;) And that's just off the top of my head.

I will not apologize for enjoying the TV series. 8)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:25 pm

Nothin wrong with enjoying camp.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:09 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Scape Scape:

Yea, I recently re-watched it, and yea, the acting was pretty thin. I don't recall that actor being in anything again. I don't even remember his name.

I do like how Clancy Brown has popped up over the years since. Starship Troopers, Thor:Ragarock, Spongebob Squarepants, The Punisher, The Mandalorian. ;) And that's just off the top of my head.

I will not apologize for enjoying the TV series. 8)

Christopher Lambert was in a few other films like Mortal Kombat and Fortress (fun prison escape movie from what I remember), but his career was definitely shorter than Brown's or Connery's.

I think his biggest claim to fame was being married to Diane Lane (American hottie) and Sophie Mareau (French hottie).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:28 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Christopher Lambert. His only other really "huge" film was a Tarzan one. Other than that his stuff was quickly assigned to the direct-to-video category back in the early 1990's. Nature of the 1980's, I suppose, as the only explanation as to why the makers of Highlander would hire a fashion model from France with a very noticeable French accent to play a 500 year old Scotsman.

$1:
...Clancy Brown....

Is nothing less than an international treasure. He makes everything a million times better than it should be. Kurgan was brilliant simply from Clancy going completely over the top with the role. :mrgreen:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:54 pm

Thanos Thanos:
[

Is nothing less than an international treasure. He makes everything a million times better than it should be. Kurgan was brilliant simply from Clancy going completely over the top with the role. :mrgreen:

True story.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:58 pm

Pet Sematary 2 was one of the most wretched films ever made. But Clancy as the demented undead sheriff who killed his own family in a deliberate head-on highway collision was the only thing that made that movie worth watching. :twisted: