Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:11 pm

[quote="DrCaleb"][/quote]

Step #2 has to be corrected...

La petite mort (the little death), is an expression which means "the brief loss or weakening of consciousness" and in modern usage refers specifically to "the sensation of post orgasm as likened to death."

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Sorry man, the books first started in 1965. "The Mind Killer" in the book refers to the panic paralysis that mammals experience in fight-or-flight response.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:16 pm

I think only 3? books have ever been adapted for the screen?

Only 3 more to go! :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Might as well add some stuff that's available on torrent or streaming as no one will be going to seen anything new in the theatres any time soon. From the recent past:

SHOT CALLER (2017)

Damn good prison movie featuring Nicolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister from GOT) as an average white guy who ends up in prison after he kills his friend in a drunk-driving accident. He finds out the hard way that he's in a prison gang from the second he steps through the entry gates for no other reason than the colour of his skin, because inside it's an entirely different world. And there's no choice because without each other's protection everyone in there would be on their own and helpless. Good story overall, with some fairly graphic violence including the killing of snitches and the final showdown between NCW's character and the boss baddie of the entire county system. And apparently most of it is true in the description of the way it works in hard-core incarceration. NCW's character has to become something he never thought he'd ever be, just to survive and to keep his family on the outside alive, because (as they said in the film) in those prisons you're either a warrior or a victim because there's nothing in-between the two categories. I recommend highly with 4 stars out of 5.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:07 pm

"No close encounters of any kind"
"Don't stand by me"

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:30 am

Wut?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 pm

Looks like a flop.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

So when will Spice become legal. 8)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:41 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Looks like a flop.

Perhaps if you smoke a lot of weed before seeing it . . .

I just wonder why Keanu Reeves would, at the height of his career, work on such an obviously B movie.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:42 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

I just re-read all 6 books in preparation for this. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:52 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Looks like a flop.

I just wonder why Keanu Reeves would, at the height of his career, work on such an obviously B movie.

Remember, this is the guy who did Shakespeare in Winnipeg as well as playing in Dogstar after the massive success of the Matrix. Most other actors would have parlayed the Matrix into a huge cash grab.

My guess is this is about the fans or even an homage to the movie that made him a star in Hollywood. Or it could be just that Keanu doesn't give a rats ass about critics and the wole Hollywood system and jsut wanted to make this movie.

Whatever the reason, it's further proof he is awesome.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

I found the first book so unapproachable and context-dense that I couldn't even get through the first six chapters of it. I consider Dune to be like high-school physics - some get it right off the bat, everyone else is like WTF? from the very first page. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Looks like a flop.

Remember, this is the guy who did Shakespeare in Winnipeg as well as playing in Dogstar after the massive success of the Matrix. Most other actors would have parlayed the Matrix into a huge cash grab.

My guess is this is about the fans or even an homage to the movie that made him a star in Hollywood. Or it could be just that Keanu doesn't give a rats ass about critics and the wole Hollywood system and jsut wanted to make this movie.

Whatever the reason, it's further proof he is awesome.

I knew he was awesome when he started a custom built motorcycle company. ;)

I guess he just doesn't give a rats ass about the system. [B-o] Good for him!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:00 am

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

I found the first book so unapproachable and context-dense that I couldn't even get through the first six chapters of it. I consider Dune to be like high-school physics - some get it right off the bat, everyone else is like WTF? from the very first page. :|

It tries to bring you up to date on 10,000 years of history, and the other books go through a further 4,000 years.

There is a learning curve. ;) But it pays off with a very detailed and vibrant story.

Spoiler: the only character that is in all of the books is Duncan Idaho. But the books aren't about him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am

It's not something I care to try to do again. I did rip through World War Z again though in the last couple of days and forgot what a genuinely great book it was, especially the absolutely heartbreaking part with the dog handlers. Just convinces me more of what a true crime it was that the awful movie with Brad Pitt was allowed to use the same title. :x

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 22  23  24  25  26  Next