CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Apparently it's not dog shit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:39 pm

I hope this revised movie kicks ass and is massively successful. If anyone deserves it Zack Snyder does. Dude's been through a lot. From the loss of a daughter to the relentless hate-filled criticism of what he's done for DC, he's owed a big win. I want it to really triumph because if it does it might be enough to keep Henry Cavill in the fold long term as he's sort of indicated that he might only want to do one more full film as Superman.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:01 pm

At this point its a freak show and all the spectacle it entails. The horse left the barn 2 years ago and the damage done to DC is considerable. Covid may have given a respite in that this was able to be seen in the original form but unless the execs at AT&T suddenly get taken over by hardcore DC fans this is pretty much a done deal. I would like to see this last hurrah get a good showing so that future projects may get a boost. I am afraid thou that there is no going back now and Marvel is now owned by the house of mouse and they are already committed to making that a massive launch under Kevin.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:01 pm

I’ll reserve judgement till I see it. But I find all the reverence for Snyder a bit troubling. Like he’s some genius director who can save the DCEU from itself up till now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:14 pm

xerxes xerxes:
I’ll reserve judgement till I see it. But I find all the reverence for Snyder a bit troubling. Like he’s some genius director who can save the DCEU from itself up till now.

I used to think the same way until I saw the director's cut of Suicide Squad. Yeah, that was David Ayer and not Snyder. But the lengthened movie was multiple times better than the theatre/cable version. I think DC movies suffer in a way that Marvel one don't simply due to bad editing and excessive cuts. I know they're still stuck in that mentality of "no more than two hours because that's only how long someone can sit before they have to go for a piss". Which to me is total bullshit. And an ancient movie house like Warner Brothers should know better because all you have to do is leave the films as the director intended and put in a fucking intermission halfway through. The old studios did it all the time with the epics of the 1950's and 60's and there is no reasonable reason not to do it again with some of these superhero movies. I'd rather see them do that than keep up with these reckless cuts for size/time purposes that see them continuing to wreck what can be some really great movies.

I totally respect anyone who sat through all of the three-hours-plus for both Avengers Infinity War & Endgame without needing to take a break. Marvel did the right thing though by not excessively trimming them though because both films would have been pale shadows of the objects of total grandeur the long versions of them became. This is a lesson that DC/Warner has to learn - they're putting gods on the screen, characters that are only surpassed in greatness by Star Wars. Don't fuck them over and diminish them and, even worse, somehow make them unpopular just because the theatre treatment is being dictated by the storage capacity of the average human bladder. Doing it this way is just karmically wrong.

Last edited by Thanos on Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 am

I had high hopes for Suicide Squad because the director, David Ayer, had done some excellent movies before; namely, Fury and End of Watch. The movie itself though sucked. It reeked to high heaven of studio interference. Like it was focus grouped into oblivion. Hopefully with the Snyder cut they’re realizing they need to let the directors direct like Disney has done with Marvel and hope that Snyder can do with the DCEU what Feige has done with the MCU.

And for the record, I’ve made it through all of the Avengers movies even after having a theatre sized pop with my exorbitantly priced snacks because I have an iron ball Ed and am a master of self abuse.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:54 am

Watched it just now. It was borderline epic. Not as good as Infinity War/Endgame but still very damn good, and probably the best DC movie made since Man Of Steel kicked everything off. The full purge of what Whedon put in elevates it entirely to a different level. The full fleshing out of Cyborg & Steppenwolf, plus expanding more of Aquaman's place in the world, really made it complete in a way the theatre cut never could. All in all a terrific addition to the overall genre. If Warner has any brains they need to use this as a stepping stone to putting the DCEU back on a positive track. They don't have to be Marvel but they need to use this massive step forward to relight their own creative fires.

PS: Amber Heard - she may be kind of evil and crazy in real life but as Mera, goddamn.... [drool]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:25 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:07 am

Thanos Thanos:
I hope this revised movie kicks ass and is massively successful. If anyone deserves it Zack Snyder does. Dude's been through a lot. From the loss of a daughter to the relentless hate-filled criticism of what he's done for DC, he's owed a big win. I want it to really triumph because if it does it might be enough to keep Henry Cavill in the fold long term as he's sort of indicated that he might only want to do one more full film as Superman.

What has he done for DC? He's made 3 movies, including this one, and 2 have sucked. The snyder cut was okay, definitely better, but not amazing by any means.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:59 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:28 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:48 am

Watched it the other night. Generally okay but disappointed it was not in widescreen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:52 am

Yea, I wondered about the 4:3 aspect ratio too.

Didn't suck though.