bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 pm

Between the Chinese wall of total secrecy and never being able to track the initial outbreak? You're right, we'll never know. For a bio-weapon COVID turned out to be pretty lame though. Not much of a death toll, comparatively. Not a very high infection rate either, not like the Black Death or tuberculosis or any of the old mega-killer viruses & bacteria of the past. All it really cost the world, to be uncomfortably plain & brutal about it, was a lot of money. And money is something that can always be made back, as is happening already by the mini-booms in the places where the vaccinations have reached the magic 70-75% mark. Big fucking deal if all the governments are in bad debt over it either, because anyone paying any attention to the basic lies of "fiscal conservative responsibility" has to absolutely know by now that hyper-active over-attention to debt & deficit is a complete crock.

It also took out Donald Trump. Without COVID, and his reprehensible response to it, he probably would have been re-elected. Him killing a half-million Americans through complete disinterest in their health & welfare stopped him from becoming the first el-presidente-for-life in the history of the US.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:43 pm

My partner today for meals on wheels is a nurse and works these days at the Laval University vaccination clinic (they poke about 2000 people a day). She told me that most of the "needles scare me" people are in the 12-17 age group... and has had a few of them faint on her.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:24 am

Scape Scape:
The stench of a coverup is insurmountable.

Somebody was monkeying around in a lab and it got away from them. That all there is to it.

No, there is much more to it. People like that point to a few employees of that lab being hospitalized as proof of them being infected with a virus. Whereas, absent proof, it could just be bad egg sandwiches in the lab cafeteria.

Scape Scape:
This was manufactured and it binds to our cells for a reason.

All Coronaviruses bind to our cells. That is how they evolved. They also bind to bats and birds cells.

$1:
Does the virus have features that suggest it was created in a lab?

Several researchers have looked into whether features of SARS-CoV-2 signal that it was bioengineered. One of the first teams to do so, led by Kristian Andersen, a virologist at Scripps Research in La Jolla, California, determined that this was “improbable” for a few reasons, including a lack of signatures of genetic manipulation6. Since then, others have asked whether the virus’s furin cleavage site— a feature that helps it enter cells — is evidence of engineering, because SARS-CoV-2 has these sites but its closest relatives don’t. The furin cleavage site is important because it's in the virus's spike protein, and cleavage of the protein at that site is necessary for the virus to infect cells.

After the WHO report: what’s next in the search for COVID’s origins

But many other coronaviruses have furin cleavage sites, such as coronaviruses that cause colds7. Because viruses containing the site are scattered across the coronavirus family tree, rather than confined to a group of closely related viruses, Stephen Goldstein, a virologist at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, says the site probably evolved multiple times because it provides an evolutionary advantage. Convergent evolution — the process by which organisms that aren’t closely related independently evolve similar traits as a result of adapting to similar environments — is incredibly common.

Another feature of SARS-CoV-2 that has drawn attention is a combination of nucleotides that underlie a segment of the furin cleavage site: CGG (these encode the amino acid arginine). A Medium article that speculates on a lab origin for SARS-CoV-2 quotes David Baltimore, a Nobel laureate and professor emeritus at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, as saying that viruses don’t usually have that particular code for arginine, but humans often do — a “smoking gun”, hinting that researchers might have tampered with SARS-CoV-2’s genome.

Andersen says that Baltimore was incorrect about that detail, however. In SARS-CoV-2, about 3% of the nucleotides encoding arginine are CGG, he says. And he points out that around 5% of those encoding arginine in the virus that caused the original SARS epidemic are CGG, too. In an e-mail to Nature, Baltimore says Andersen could be correct that evolution produced SARS-CoV-2, but adds that “there are other possibilities and they need careful consideration, which is all I meant to be saying”.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01529-3

It's really to find non-quack authored articles on what is actually know, as opposed to what is concluded through poorly used inductive reasoning.

We may never know where the virus came from. But evidence still suggests nature.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:09 am

It's people with some level of credential trying to oppose everything for views and it misinforms people. It's gross. The guy is no better than dr Phil or dr oz.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:49 am

https://globalnews.ca/news/7934320/mani ... lotto-ceo/

This sure sounds like some INTERNAL vaccine passports are heading your way. The Premier of Manitoba has announced a $2 million dollar lottery to encourage getting vaccinated. Along with the announcement of the lottery came the news that the Province would establish a secure immunization card that would allow travel WITHIN Canada without quarantining upon return to the Province. Expanded visits to hospitals and personal care homes are also some perks of the new card.

Premier Pallister left open the possibility of using the cards to determine access to sporting events, as well as other venues still to be determined.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 am

rickc rickc:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7934320/manitoba-premier-to-announce-covid-19-vaccine-incentives-with-liquor-and-lotto-ceo/

This sure sounds like some INTERNAL vaccine passports are heading your way. The Premier of Manitoba has announced a $2 million dollar lottery to encourage getting vaccinated. Along with the announcement of the lottery came the news that the Province would establish a secure immunization card that would allow travel WITHIN Canada without quarantining upon return to the Province. Expanded visits to hospitals and personal care homes are also some perks of the new card.

Premier Pallister left open the possibility of using the cards to determine access to sporting events, as well as other venues still to be determined.

I'm fine with them. If it means knowing I'll be relatively safe in a large crowd, then that's a good thing. That means festivals, vacations, concerts, sporting events, and other activities may be able to occur sooner rather than later.

What's ridiculous is that people have to be bribed to get vaccinated. If I could have gotten my second dose already, I would have.

I don't know what its like south of the border, but we've been in virtual isolation for 15 months now and I'm eager to return to some semblance of normalcy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:34 am

Let's not forget half a million Americans died while their gov't spent more effort on who to blame for Covid than they did doing anything about it.
If it did leak from a lab, it probably wasn't the first time that happened and sure as hell won't be the last. SO we better be prepared for that.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:49 am

rickc rickc:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7934320/manitoba-premier-to-announce-covid-19-vaccine-incentives-with-liquor-and-lotto-ceo/

The legal 'experts' are suggesting asking for proof of vaccination would not be legal due to the privacy laws. It is a grey area. Medical records are private and you cannot be asked to disclose your medical information without just cause. The examples given are restaurants. If they allowed people in during the pandemic previously without vaccines they cannot now say it is now mandatory. There might be a loop hole where if you wish to sit in the nice area you would show proof of vaccination. If you choose not to show proof you would still be served, but isolated close to the garbage bin.

International travel is a federal responsibility so a vaccine passport should be at the federal level. In the early stages with provincial borders reopening there is a lot of uncertainty. Manitoba is going down the path of a passport, while other provinces like Alberta are saying they have not plans to do so.

I believe a significant percentage of Canadians would like the mental security of knowing that the people around them are fully vaccinated in certain situations. For example on a crowded airplane or a sporting event. This will not be resolved quickly. I expect a lot of shouting and chest thumping from both sides of the arguement for quite a while yet.

There

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 pm

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:31 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
rickc rickc:

I'm fine with them. If it means knowing I'll be relatively safe in a large crowd, then that's a good thing. That means festivals, vacations, concerts, sporting events, and other activities may be able to occur sooner rather than later.

What's ridiculous is that people have to be bribed to get vaccinated. If I could have gotten my second dose already, I would have.

I don't know what its like south of the border, but we've been in virtual isolation for 15 months now and I'm eager to return to some semblance of normalcy.

I agree! I couldn't get my shots fast enough. Last week was the first week in a year that I did not have to wear a mask outside of my house, or at work. It felt great! Certain stores and businesses still require a mask to enter, so I still have to carry one everywhere I go. Lets hope that the variants die out quickly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:41 pm

I thought the Wuhan lab theory was dismissed rather perfunctorily. I mean given what we knew about the origin of the virus (which is basically nothing except what China put forward), the scientific approach would be agnostic about the whole thing.

I imagine they leaned toward "no it's natural" because they didn't want a massive killing spree of Asians in the US. I mean, they're beating and killing Asians anyway, for sport, but imagine if the gummint had said "Yeah it was the Chinese." Slaughter. The US is really kill or be killed these days. So, yeah, Fauci's busted but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Caelon Caelon:
rickc rickc:

The legal 'experts' are suggesting asking for proof of vaccination would not be legal due to the privacy laws. It is a grey area. Medical records are private and you cannot be asked to disclose your medical information without just cause. The examples given are restaurants. If they allowed people in during the pandemic previously without vaccines they cannot now say it is now mandatory. There might be a loop hole where if you wish to sit in the nice area you would show proof of vaccination. If you choose not to show proof you would still be served, but isolated close to the garbage bin.

International travel is a federal responsibility so a vaccine passport should be at the federal level. In the early stages with provincial borders reopening there is a lot of uncertainty. Manitoba is going down the path of a passport, while other provinces like Alberta are saying they have not plans to do so.

I believe a significant percentage of Canadians would like the mental security of knowing that the people around them are fully vaccinated in certain situations. For example on a crowded airplane or a sporting event. This will not be resolved quickly. I expect a lot of shouting and chest thumping from both sides of the arguement for quite a while yet.

There

I have mixed emotions on the issue. Privacy is important, but so is public health. I remember having to be vaccinated to attend school. When I was a kid the health department would visit the school during the first week to give free vaccinations to all the kids. They would use some type of airgun to deliver multiple vaccines at the same time. My entire generation has a permanent scar on our left arms from the smallpox vaccine. My kid was born in the 90's. I remember having to show proof of vaccines for her to attend school. When we moved to Nevada there were additional vaccines that were not required in Massachusetts. I was required to get hepatitis vaccines for my job as I have to work on the building sanitation systems. People working in restaurants and bars have to be tested for tuberculosis.

Years ago my health insurance tripled the rates for tobacco users. They have the right to conduct a test for nicotine any time they please. If you do not agree with the policy, you do not have to accept the policy. I am surprised that countries that have national health care have not tried to punish tobacco users more in one way or another.

I agree that there will be a lot of shouting on both sides. I just hope that the court cases get fast tracked to the supreme courts. We need to have all of these questions settled quickly. We need to be a lot better prepared than we were for the next pandemic, whenever that will be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:59 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I imagine they leaned toward "no it's natural" because they didn't want a massive killing spree of Asians in the US. I mean, they're beating and killing Asians anyway, for sport, but imagine if the gummint had said "Yeah it was the Chinese." Slaughter. The US is really kill or be killed these days. So, yeah, Fauci's busted but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

Fair point. Still think it is man made unless we can show it binds to something OTHER than us better. Nature doesn't work the other way around.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I thought the Wuhan lab theory was dismissed rather perfunctorily. I mean given what we knew about the origin of the virus (which is basically nothing except what China put forward), the scientific approach would be agnostic about the whole thing.

So Americans are beating and killing Asians for sport eh? Thats funny because this report states that your old stomping ground of Vancouver is the anti-Asian hate crime capital of North America. There were more anti-Asian hate crimes reported in Vancouver last year than in the top 10 most populated U.S. cities combined!!! Almost 1 of every 2 Asian residents of British Columbia experienced a hate incident last year.

Looks like you need to get off of your high horse and start cleaning up your own back yard. You know the one that is full of dead First Nation kids. Yeah that back yard.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021 ... te-crimes/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4899 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 322  323  324  325  326  327  Next