CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Forum rules

This is a Liberal Party forum meant for like-minded discussion, if you want to flame or debate in open, please use the main Canadian Politics forum.

Your Pick for Liberal Leader (from top 4)
Poll ended at Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:03 pm
Michael Ignatieff  21%  [ 9 ]
Bob Rae  26%  [ 11 ]
Gerard Kennedy  37%  [ 16 ]
Stephane Dion  16%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 43

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:32 am

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Have you ever noticed that in the entire history of the liberal party they have never been lead by anyone born east of Ontario?

Anyway, I don't know about Kennedy but Iggy, Dion and Rae have all said they will nationalise Alberta's oil industry as an overwhelming majority of people in both Quebec and Ontario believe it should be done. If this happens Canada is done.

"Alberta's" oil reserves??? the oil reserves are Canada's. Alberta was happy to get from Canada before they found they could dig up money, now suddenly they're claiming it's "theirs?" Balls. Alberta was developed at Canada's expense by Canada building the railroad. Before that it was a bunch of poor cowboys. Short memories. The kids found oil in mom and Dad's back yard and they think it belongs to them. When mom and Dad shake their hweads they scream they're going to nmove out and take the oil with them. No, it doesn't work that way, kids. You have to share with your brothers and sisters too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:05 am

$1:
bunch of poor cowboys

That right there will get you another nation (a real split one) in Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:16 am

Firecat Firecat:
That could be spun well as a man willing to make the tough decisions.
That was a joke right? Please tell me that was a joke.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:36 am

Defending Bob's record (Intro):

He took over when the provincial budget was massively overspent and the economy was headed into a recession.

A common argument against Rae is that the legacy of his former premiership is one of recession, reckless spending and rae days.
However, when we consider his actual record and not the fearmongering we hear from the right, a reasonable defence presents itself:

The Bank of Canada was raising the Canadian prime rate six points higher than the US prime, seemingly to fight inflation but really to force feed the FTA to Canadians.

Effects of this decision are as follows:

Companies had to pay more for debts, so they stopped investing in new infrastructure and cut costs;
Consumers had to pay more for debts, so they had less disposable income and stopped making large purchases;
This slowed activity meant lost profits for companies, which led them to lay off workers;
Those layoffs reduced consumer demand still further;
The high interest rates attracted US currency speculators, who drove up the Canadian dollar and made our exports more expensive, which hurt revenue still more and threw more people out of work;
At the same time, the government saw its tax revenue go down, its program spending (for welfare, health care, subsidized housing, etc.) go up, and its debt servicing costs go up; and
The federal government, trying to stop its own bleeding, cut transfer payments to the provinces, which hurt them even more just as they needed extra cash.

There you have it, Mulroney's fault.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:24 am

$1:
"Alberta's" oil reserves??? the oil reserves are Canada's. Alberta was happy to get from Canada before they found they could dig up money, now suddenly they're claiming it's "theirs?" Balls. Alberta was developed at Canada's expense by Canada building the railroad. Before that it was a bunch of poor cowboys. Short memories. The kids found oil in mom and Dad's back yard and they think it belongs to them. When mom and Dad shake their hweads they scream they're going to nmove out and take the oil with them. No, it doesn't work that way, kids. You have to share with your brothers and sisters too.

In the constitution natural resources belong to the provinces. Much like Nova Scotia's coal is theirs and B.C.'s timber is ours. Alberta's oil belongs to the province. It is not Canada's. It was Imperial Oil who invested the time and money in Alberta anyway, which led to the first major discoveries following 1946. Even before that it was farmers from Alberta in 1913 that struck oil. Alberta and its government have developed most of the industry since then. They thought out foreign investors and explorations but then Canada tried to take control of it. Put large royalties on their resource and force them to prop up companies, which might not even be the best to do business with. They will never forget what Canada's so called "sharing policy" did and how it hurt their economy dramatically.

Sure Alberta was a poorer province it was mostly just farming before. But Alberta has been abused quite a bit in Canada since the government always felt it has owned it even after being made a province in 1905. I think Canada made its return on the trans colonial railway. Also its return by forcing people in the prairies to buy machinery from Canada rather than other sources which were tarrifed to keep people in Ontario working. I think Alberta paid its expense in the Great War; half the people who enlisted lived west of Ontario. Canada now gets its money back in taxes from Alberta every year. Canada also gets its money from transfer payments the province makes. Not to mention the taxes on petrol which is going to the federal government. Alberta’s GDP is almost greater than Quebec’s now. They pay as many if not more taxes than Quebec to the federal government with less than half the population. Even with these contributions and their population they are being under represented in Canada. For that mindset is still in the east that Alberta is just a territory for them to exploit. No one there will want to give them power or undermine their own strong hold over Canada. So much for sharing eh?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:33 am

please discuss Alberta oil in another thread, start a new topic, this is getting off track.

Watched the a lot of the start of the Convention on CPAC last night, was some interesting moments. I still havn't decided who I would vote for, but I think im leaning towards GK more.

Martin finally came out of the shadows, and supposedly Chretien is to appear tommorow.

I liked that french singer guy, anyone know who he is? Would like to find some of his music.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:00 pm

I heard Howard Dean is making an appearance. Any truth to this?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:04 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Firecat Firecat:
That could be spun well as a man willing to make the tough decisions.
That was a joke right? Please tell me that was a joke.

No, actually I'm quite serious.:

National Poll Suggests Rae More Electable

MONTREAL (CP) - A new national poll suggests Canadians of every federalist party persuasion believe that Bob Rae is a more electable option as Liberal leader than top rival Michael Ignatieff.

The Nov. 24-26 Decima Research survey found that Rae's perceived winnability topped Ignatieff's by a significant margin in every region of the country except Quebec. More than 1,000 respondents were asked by Decima to picture themselves as delegates to this weekend's leadership convention in Montreal

In a final-ballot showdown between front-runner Ignatieff and Rae, they were asked who they felt had the best chance to win for the Liberals in the next election.

Under this scenario, 37 per cent chose Rae and 25 per cent picked Ignatieff.

The results of the poll, which was distributed to The Canadian Press, are considered accurate within plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Decima CEO Bruce Anderson says the poll suggests Rae's winnability factor is perceived to be higher among all age groups, men and women, urban and rural voters, and everywhere but Quebec - where Ignatieff would get 36 per cent support and Rae 25 per cent.

Ignatieff also led in the poll among self-identified Bloc Quebecois voters.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:14 pm

yah that was last night, was kinda suprised when i heard an American was doing a speech and didnt really know much about him.

But I was suprised, his speech was good and relevant, he could also speak french, which got him applause.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:29 pm

I added the other CTV interviews to the first post.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
yah that was last night, was kinda suprised when i heard an American was doing a speech and didnt really know much about him.

But I was suprised, his speech was good and relevant, he could also speak french, which got him applause.

You're talking about Howard Dean right? I didn't know he spoke french.

I would like to see his speech, last time i saw him make a speech it almost ruined him

HIYYA!!! :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2Bqa0DoAg&eurl=[/youtube]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:52 pm

thank you Scape. much appreciated

doesn't come close to this gem though

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE[/youtube]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:04 pm

That was a hell of a reason to torpedo a presidential run, a yell made during a rally. I still don't see what the fuss was about and they ended up picking the walking dead, Kerry. Very weird considering he's the guy who did the famous, "I voted for...before I voted against" bit. You would think issues would have more weight.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:06 pm

Scape Scape:
That was a hell of a reason to torpedo a presidential run, a yell made during a rally. I still don't see what the fuss was about and they ended up picking the walking dead, Kerry. Very weird considering he's the guy who did the famous, "I voted for...before I voted against" bit. You would think issues would have more weight.

That and he's a crazy nuttbar. :roll: