Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Damn, 7th ranked Canada vs #1 rated Japan in the opening game of Women's Soccer, it wasn't a great start for Canada going down 2-0 in the first half. The score could have been 3-0 if not for a fantastic goal-line save by Canadian defender Lauren Sesselmann who cleared the ball from the line after being misplayed by goaltender Erin McLeod. Melissa Tancredi scored for Canada in the 2nd half, but it was obvious Canada was lucky to have scored against Japan who greatly outplayed the Canadian squad at every turn. The Canadians may have the basics of the game down, but still, when it comes down to playing as a team Canada has a long way to go to be able to play head to head against the top ranked teams. Canada may have better luck Saturday when they play 61st-ranked South Africa.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:47 am

Olympic Venues

30 venues will host over 300 events across the UK....

St James' Park Newcastle

30 venues across the UK

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm

The Games are on....Opening ceremonies start at 4:00pm ET......
GO CANADA!! [flag]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:07 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'd like to see more balanced funding too - I'd like to see more corporate funding, as well as better provincial/federal funding of athletes.

The USA has done quite well for years without even a penny of government funding for training.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:48 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:
I'd like to see more balanced funding too - I'd like to see more corporate funding, as well as better provincial/federal funding of athletes.

The USA has done quite well for years without even a penny of government funding for training.

Well, the Us is virtually alone in this regard - most countries provide some funding for their amateur athletes.

Besides, if Coca-Cola, Pepsi Ford, Chrysler, GM, Amazon, Google, Dell, Microsoft, Apple, General Electric, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Hershey, Effem, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Chevron, Mobil, Imperial Oil, IBM, Honeywell, Haliburton, Fedex, UPS, DHL, Costco, VISA, Mastercard, etc were all Canadian owned and operated, we probably wouldn't have to give them any federal money either.

But most of the Canadian subsidiaries of those multi-national companies export their profits back to the States instead.

I'm sure the stream of undetectable performance-enhancing drugs the drug industry in the States creates doesn't hurt either...

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:50 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Yeah, with all the corporate sponsors on board for the US Olympic team that makes sense........

Team USA sponsors

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Hyack Hyack:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Yeah, with all the corporate sponsors on board for the US Olympic team that makes sense........

Team USA sponsors

Looking at that list, I'm seeing a few sponsors that aren't even American companies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 pm

I wonder how many people will complain at these Olympic opening ceremonies that the announcements are in French first, then English. :lol:

I can explain that comment, if someone doesn't get it. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Will NK have the right flag, this time? 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
But most of the Canadian subsidiaries of those multi-national companies export their profits back to the States instead.

Nope. One of the big problems facing the US government is a tax scheme that penalizes US companies for bringing their profits home. I won't say where the US firms with subsidiaries in Canada are sending their profits, or if they leave Canada at all, but I can assure you that they're not sending them back to the USA.

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'm sure the stream of undetectable performance-enhancing drugs the drug industry in the States creates doesn't hurt either...

Most of which will have been made in Canada, so there! [but]

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Did I hear that correctly?

Albania wears "Armani".
The USA wears "Made in China". :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:42 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Nope. One of the big problems facing the US government is a tax scheme that penalizes US companies for bringing their profits home. I won't say where the US firms with subsidiaries in Canada are sending their profits, or if they leave Canada at all, but I can assure you that they're not sending them back to the USA.

Whichever, the point is that US multi-nationals, due to their size and economic power, can afford to support amateur athletes far better than the much smaller Canadian corporate cousins can.

As Stalin once quipped, quantity has a quality all its own!

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Most of which will have been made in Canada, so there! [but]

:lol:

Guess you've never heard of BALCO - the Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative - which was based in, you guessed it, San Francisco AKA the BAY AREA. :lol:

And I'm sure that it's just the tip of the iceberg - and will remain so until your country has its own Ben Johnson moment.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Whichever, the point is that US multi-nationals, due to their size and economic power, can afford to support amateur athletes far better than the much smaller Canadian corporate cousins can.

As Stalin once quipped, quantity has a quality all its own![\quote]

Oh ye of little faith. If your government withdrew support of the athletes I'm sure that your people and your businesses would happily step up to the plate to support their team.

bootlegga bootlegga:
Guess you've never heard of BALCO - the Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative - which was based in, you guessed it, San Francisco AKA the BAY AREA. :lol:

And I'm sure that it's just the tip of the iceberg - and will remain so until your country has its own Ben Johnson moment.

I've heard of BALCO. I've also been suspect of the government's methods in prosecuting those involved as much of what allegedly occured was perfectly legal at the time it occured. Thus the government is violating the Constitutional provision against enforcing ex post facto laws.

Producing a product that is not illegal is not a crime, even if the product is later banned. Simple as that.

Now can sports associations act on the BALCO stuff? Sure, because they're not bound by the same strictures as is the government.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:17 pm

There's no games like the Olympic Games....Go Canada! :rock: :D

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Hyack Hyack:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Team USA sponsors

And if your government stopped funding the Canadian Olympic teams I've not a doubt that your corporations (and probably some of ours, too) would step up to fund them.

Who knows? They may end up better off. :idea:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 11  Next