Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:16 am

Brenda Brenda:
Gunnair Gunnair:
$1:
The girl was charged with simple assault and damage to property.

Well, for a moment, the world was a little bit safer.

That charge doesn't make any sense. Isn't any kid under 11 not responsible for their actions anyway?

As a school, you go to the parents and have their insurance pay for the damage.

Advice them to place their kid in an anger management course or something.

Not in the US. Here it's under 12.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 am

At first it sounds really horrible. Calling the parents is out - how long will it take for them to get there while the kid is freaking out. In the good old days the teacher would have just restrained her, but now they'd probably be charged with assault. So maybe handcuffs were the best option here. Not the end of the world, and as long as the kid is not made the victim here, she might learn to restrain her behavior from this. Kids with huge behavior problems are being sent to schools that just aren't set up to deal with them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:27 am

Too many rules stopping the teachers from acting to stop it. Too many cops that they would even have time to deal with this.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:26 am

In the good old days the teacher whould have given the little shit a good wollop and that would have been the end of the tantrum and the parents would have thanked the teacher for that.

In this day and age with their hands tied behind their backs I think the teachers hands are tied behind their backs and calling the parents might seem like a good idea but as said how long before they came or even came at all.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

I do not see why there's anything newsworthy about a child being restrained physically when the schools, parents, and society have no qualms or hesitations about restraing kids with chemicals like Ritalin, Adderall, and Dexedrine.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 am

Cuz crank and kids fit together like a hand in a gom jabbar

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 am

xerxes xerxes:
The reason for the kid's tantrum aside, was it truly necessary to handcuff a 6 year old? If that had happened to my kid I would be enraged to say the least.

As the article states, it's standard procedure to handcuff someone who's being taken to the station regardless of age. So yes, it was necessary.

In any case since this child was being violent and destructive I see nothing wrong with restraining her for everyone's safety even if they weren't taking her in to the station. I think it would have made more sense to take her to a nurse's office or empty classroom to calm down instead of the police station but it is what it is.

I'm not really surprised that teachers are now calling police to deal with disciplinary problems. Teachers have less and less tools available to them for enforcing discipline on their own anymore without risking being up for disciplinary action themselves that it almost makes sense to call in someone who can do the job without risking losing their own jobs.