Title: Ernie Els rallies past Adam Scott to win British Open
Category: Sports
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2012-07-22 17:22:27

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:09 pm

It wasn't so much Els rallied as Scott crashed and burned.

I went out to cut the grass when Ernie had 4 holes left thinking he was done like dinner.

Who would have thunk?

But since I ascribe to the ABTW theory of Golf the outcome wasn't a dissapointment.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:34 pm

ABTW theory ????

No matter how you look at it, it was a hell of an entertaining British Open, starting with Phil Mickelson playing the first 2 rounds from either the rough or from one of the many bunkers, missing the cut with a score of 151-(+11). Brandt Snedeker had the 2nd round lead with a 130 before crashing and burning, shooting a 147 in the last 2 rounds. Adam Scott played a great game right until the 15th hole on Sunday. After making only 4 bogeys in the first 3 rounds, he managed 7 on Sunday, with the 4 in a row on 15-16-17-18 finally nailing the coffin shut. Ernie Els wasn't handed the Claret Jug because of Scott or Snedeker crashing and burning, he earned it by playing a consistent game no matter what the weather gods threw at the players, managing a final score of 273.....67-70-68-68. The biggest surprise for me was Woods, who managed to stay right near the top the whole 4 days. If close was good aside from horseshoes and hand grenades Woods would have won the Open hands down. All in all he played a great game, making very few mistakes and when he did screw up, he usually got out with minimum effort. The number of putts he missed by 6 inches or less was ridiculous, with just a little bit of luck, he would have walked away with the jug.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 am

ABTW

Anybody but Tiger Woods. :D

And it's not because I don't think he was a great golfer it's just that I can't stand the suckholing media and fans that fawn over him like he's some saintly Greek God despite his best efforts to prove them completely fekin wrong. :roll:

I Guess Scott can always go and have a beer with Jean Van de Velde and discuss what it feels like to blow that big a lead at a British Open or maybe for a laugh they could get Greg Norman to regale them with his blown Masters lead.

Yes Els played well but Scott blew it. All he had to do was par one of the last 4 holes and he was golden and he couldn't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:12 am

I couldn't drag myself away from watching my grass grow to tune in. Golf almost makes soccer seem exciting to watch.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:16 am

Just goes to show that you can't start playing defense when you have a lead. That has got to sting big time and I'm sure his sports psychologist will be working overtime for the next month or so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:18 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
ABTW

Anybody but Tiger Woods. :D

And it's not because I don't think he was a great golfer it's just that I can't stand the suckholing media and fans that fawn over him like he's some saintly Greek God despite his best efforts to prove them completely fekin wrong. :roll:

I Guess Scott can always go and have a beer with Jean Van de Velde and discuss what it feels like to blow that big a lead at a British Open or maybe for a laugh they could get Greg Norman to regale them with his blown Masters lead.

Yes Els played well but Scott blew it. All he had to do was par one of the last 4 holes and he was golden and he couldn't.

That's my beef too.

Even if Tiger is 20 shots behind the leader, even if he doesn't make the cut, even if he's not even playing in the tournament, the media will talk about him more than any of the other golfers, showing you the shot he made on this hole 4 years ago. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 am

raydan raydan:
That's my beef too.

Even if Tiger is 20 shots behind the leader, even if he doesn't make the cut, even if he's not even playing in the tournament, the media will talk about him more than any of the other golfers, showing you the shot he made on this hole 4 years ago. 8O

I wonder if people felt the same about Jack and Arnold?

They still talk about these guys and they talk about Tiger because he's one of the best the game has ever seen and he's far from done.

People will be compared to Tiger for decades just the same Tiger has been compared to Jack for his entire career.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:50 am

I quit watching golf altogether specifically because of the way they incessantly talk about Woods all the time and ignore the other players. Any weekend where Eldrick doesn't win is a good weekend in my estimation.

It's kind of illogical to expect sports media and broadcasters to not behave in this way though. They aren't really journalists in the first place. They aren't there to break a story open, they're there to promote the activity. Expecting them to be critical of the ones creating the money, especially Woods (no matter how much of an absolute cretin of a person he's consistently proven himself to be) would seem to be a waste of time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:01 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
I wonder if people felt the same about Jack and Arnold?

They still talk about these guys and they talk about Tiger because he's one of the best the game has ever seen and he's far from done.

People will be compared to Tiger for decades just the same Tiger has been compared to Jack for his entire career.

Sheesh I get it, you love Tiger.

Enough already! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
just the same Tiger has been compared to Jack for his entire career.

As a golfer yes............ as a human being not so much.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 am

It was way more interesting to see him play in the past. He would bomb the ball, hole after hole and get in trouble a lot because of it. But he was the best at getting out of trouble. Now his mindset is to play safe... safe... safe. Much more interesting to watch some of the other players, Tiger has gotten predictable and dull.

He should start whoring around again, it would probably help his game. 8)

EDIT: His GOLF game. :oops:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
just the same Tiger has been compared to Jack for his entire career.

As a golfer yes............ as a human being not so much.

And he's a golfer so why do you care about any athlete's sex life?

Sure, it's disappointing especially considering he had kids and a wife, but at the end of the day, we watch golf to watch them play, not be concerned where they put their "balls" at night.

People make mistakes all the time and considering I don't know the man, I don't write him off as a terrible person.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Taking herpes home to the wife, like Eldrick did because of all the whores he was banging, usually does mean though that you're a terrible person.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:15 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
And he's a golfer so why do you care about any athlete's sex life?

Sure, it's disappointing especially considering he had kids and a wife, but at the end of the day, we watch golf to watch them play, not be concerned where they put their "balls" at night.

People make mistakes all the time and considering I don't know the man, I don't write him off as a terrible person.

When you portray yourself as a loving family man and work at keeping that image alive so your sponsors will keep paying you hundreds of millions of dollars while all the time living a hidden lifestyle that alot of society would consider somewhat deviant, some might say your not the nicest person in the world.