Title: Alberta volunteers to restore historic Mosquito aircraft
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2012-08-18 21:14:00
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:52 am

Awesome! Nanton is where the closest (non working) Lancaster is. It's also where my dad learnt to fly both the Lancaster and Mosquito in WWII.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) :rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Very nice! Nanton is a fun little museum to visit.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:51 pm

On a similar note, a friend of mine from Intel recently got his airworthiness certificate for his B-25 that he salvaged from Costa Rica in 2004. He restored it for flying and cheesed off some of the 'purists' when he reskinned the ship in carbon fiber instead of the more expensive (and heavier and weaker) aluminum. From the pictures I've seen you can't really tell aside from the absence of rivets on the surfaces.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Hats off to the people restoring the plane.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Can't wait to see the completed restoration. Awesome piece of history! :rock:

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Indeed. :rock:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:00 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
On a similar note, a friend of mine from Intel recently got his airworthiness certificate for his B-25 that he salvaged from Costa Rica in 2004. He restored it for flying and cheesed off some of the 'purists' when he reskinned the ship in carbon fiber instead of the more expensive (and heavier and weaker) aluminum. From the pictures I've seen you can't really tell aside from the absence of rivets on the surfaces.

Pictures?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 pm

There's allegedly a Hurricane Mk. I here in Calgary somewhere that also needs restoring. Our shithead hippie city government won't help with the work so it remains in storage limbo. The Spitfire hogged all the glory in the newsreel footage for the dogfights but from what I've read it was the ugly-duckling Hurricane that really gave the knockout punches to the German bombers during the BoB. Apparently it also wreaked total havok in the Far East against Japanese ship and ground targets in the British sectors of the Pacific war. Hurricanes are also apparently exceedingly rare when compared to the number of Spitfires that are still around so seeing this one brought up to par would be all kinds of awesome.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 am

Don't know about the shithead hippie city part...... but the rest of your post is accurate. The Spitfire got most of the glory but the Hurricane certainly pulled more than it's fair share of the load, especially early in the war. Most, if not all Hurricane pictures you see with a 2 bladed prop and no spinner were made in Canada.