bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
4/5 show up? That's much higher than I assumed.

True, but still says a lot when they call my generation "entitled" when they don't even bother to show up for their civic duty.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm nto really the person to talk to about paying duties to your nation. I'd almost certainly show up if I were asked, but I'd probably be a wrench in the gears.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:05 pm

A trial like Jody Arias' or Casey Anthony's will really break the bank tho.
Why aren't people just paid like they are at work? Let the government reimburse the employers, make it a tax deduction or something.

You volunteer in your spare time, you should not lose sleep or your house over it, nor should your employer.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Brenda Brenda:
A trial like Jody Arias' or Casey Anthony's will really break the bank tho.
Why aren't people just paid like they are at work? Let the government reimburse the employers, make it a tax deduction or something.

You volunteer in your spare time, you should not lose sleep or your house over it, nor should your employer.

I agree. It's probably the most logical situation, and it benefits everyone. Of course, this being the government we're talking about, intelligent, rational ideas like this will never be implemented :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:38 am

$1:
Another possible reason prospective jurors aren't showing up in court is the lack of compensation during jury selection, and insufficient compensation during trial.

Across the country, compensation for a sitting juror ranges from $20 a day to $100. In Ontario, for example, sitting jurors aren’t compensated during the first 10 days of trial. Over the next 39 days, they receive $40 per day and each day over 50 is $100.

The only people who aren't being paid well to be in the courtroom during a criminal trial is the accused the the jury members, therefore the judge in making his ignorant comments is speaking with no perspective. Stop forcing people to choose between financial hardship and jury duty and then you'll reduce the problem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:20 pm

If this judge claims it's a generational problem he's got his head so far up his ass that he couldn't find his colon with a flashlight. 8O

After looking at his picture, I can't help but wonder where he's been for the last 50 years of his life because if he had opened his myopic eyes he would have noticed that

NOBODY

in the last 1000 years of trial law has ever wanted to do jury duty. So it's not a generational thing at all, it's human nature and he's just making it generational so he can bitch about kids today, which, is my fucking job not his. :x

Although it's nice to know the crown still employ's angry old fools who can't remember what they had for dinner let alone what has happened in the last 50 years. :D

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:47 pm

If anyone wants to get out of jury duty just show up in uniform.

A Star Trek uniform. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Tell the court clerk that you refuse to swear on the Bible unless you're allowed to speak in either Klingon or Old Jedi. That'll get you out of serving ASAP. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
If anyone wants to get out of jury duty just show up in uniform.

A Star Trek uniform. :lol:

It wasn't the uniform that got her off jury duty. It was talking to the media, if memory serves.