Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:22 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
$1:
I was born in England so no oath of allegiance was required.

How are the language lessons coming?

eh?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 am

Martin,
I am defensive about it for the simple reason that I find it pretty disrespectful that my personal choice, which is completely legal, is not being accepted, but attacked.

A visa: business transaction. It is nothing more than paperwork to make a dream legally come true.

I don't think you need to know anything more.

Aside from that, I give my personal opinion on stuff I like, don't like, don't agree with, think is awesome. I don't go around calling politicians, protest on the streets to change something that I find weird or don't agree with. It is not my place.
I own my home, I contribute to the economy, I am not a burden on society. Being called a parasite is a personal insult that I do not take lightly.
Being told to fuck off because you don't agree with my, again, completely legal choices, that bother no one and make no difference at all in your life, is offensive. So much for tolerance, huh.

I don't necessarily care how you run your life, and I find it very interesting that you think you have the 'obligation' to point out how wrong mine is.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

Brenda Brenda:
Of course. He doesn't live here, why the hell should he care? He just cares about generating money from his houses.

To set this record straight: Back in 1997 Lisa and I bought a home in Oak Bay and paid cash for it. At the time we were contemplatng moving to Canada sometime in the early 2000's and the investment made sense. It also made sense because we were living there about three months out of the year at the time.

Then 9/11 happened and my plans had to change. Not entirely my choice.

Things in Canada improved and we eventually started getting unsolicited offers on the Oak Bay place and, finally, we accepted an offer that was just crazy. Then we were confronted with the tax implications in the USA that would allow us to recoup our original investment (which we did) but that would just about confiscate the rest.

So we rolled over into two condos downtown in a building that, at the time, was struggling so our money did some good. Then we leased to a Russian family at a below-market rate because they're good people and they take care of the place. And even though the market has changed we will be extending their lease at the same terms when it comes due.

The second place we've been renting to a succession of UVic students with the understanding that one of the rooms is ours when we come to visit.

The revenues are held entirely in Canada and maybe someday we'll move there and use some of it. Or maybe not. We don't know right now.

In the interim we pay higher-than-resident property taxes and the net revenues all stay in Canada and are reinvested in Canada and we also use those funds to make the occasional charitable contribution within Canada.

Now at least you have the info straight and if you'd like to savage me you can now do so accurately. [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37 am

Brenda Brenda:
Being called a parasite is a personal insult that I do not take lightly.

The most effective insults always have a grain of truth elsewise they'd have no effect. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:38 am

Now if you would do me a favour and get your info straight before you call me a parasite? Would be appreciated. Until then, I kindly ask you to fuck off :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:
Being called a parasite is a personal insult that I do not take lightly.

The most effective insults always have a grain of truth elsewise they'd have no effect. :idea:

Really? I always thought the most effective insults were a shitload of made up crap, that are untrue.

If it were the truth, it would not be an insult.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 am

Brenda Brenda:
Martin,
I am defensive about it for the simple reason that I find it pretty disrespectful that my personal choice, which is completely legal, is not being accepted, but attacked.

Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.

$1:
Aside from that, I give my personal opinion on stuff I like, don't like, don't agree with, think is awesome. I don't go around calling politicians, protest on the streets to change something that I find weird or don't agree with. It is not my place.

And yet, you have no problem going completely overboard with your opinions here.

Strange.

$1:
I don't necessarily care how you run your life, and I find it very interesting that you think you have the 'obligation' to point out how wrong mine is.

It's not just me, and you know it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 am

And you lost your argument. "It is not just me"

ROTFL

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:44 am

Brenda Brenda:
I kindly ask you to fuck off :P

Well, at least you're being polite about it! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:
I kindly ask you to fuck off :P

Well, at least you're being polite about it! :lol:

Of course! I live in Canada! That's what Canadians do! Sorry 'bout that...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:28 pm

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
$1:
I was born in England so no oath of allegiance was required.

How are the language lessons coming?

eh?

By George, I think you've got it!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 pm

I understand some people getting their knickers in a knot - I raised a similar question when I joined the Militia (way back when) and they asked me to swear to defend the Queen. In the end, I said the oath, but my heart really wasn't in it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:03 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I understand some people getting their knickers in a knot - I raised a similar question when I joined the Militia (way back when) and they asked me to swear to defend the Queen. In the end, I said the oath, but my heart really wasn't in it.

Then you should not have taken the oath. I mean you no offense in that, just saying that it's not logical to reluctantly take on an obligation that you just might have to honor.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm

$1:

Funny.

I'm a tenth generation Canadian, 14th generation North American but I was proud of the tradition and had no trouble at all swearing that same oath.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next