Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:49 pm

For people that say having a Queen works for Canada, please explain just what work the Queen does for Canada.

Royalists have already stated that the real head of state is the PM, and that the GG has no power, and that the Queen has no power.

Why don't we just make it offical when the Queen dies?

And for a list of some republics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_republics

Shitty little places like USA, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, (South) Korea, Finland, Ireland, Israel, Singapore. Just about all of South America.

Being a republic is in no way a negative to the ability of a nation to do well and have a good standard of living.

~

If everyone already agrees that our Queen does nothing and has no power then why don't we just update our laws to be accurate to how things really are?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Xort Xort:
For people that say having a Queen works for Canada, please explain just what work the Queen does for Canada.

She makes your currency look pretty spiffy and she also pumps up the economy in Victoria with all of the Royal Navy retirees she sends your way. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:33 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Xort Xort:

She makes your currency look pretty spiffy and she also pumps up the economy in Victoria with all of the Royal Navy retirees she sends your way. 8)

correct good sir. Although, I must say her new image on the 20's doesn't look as good as on the last set of 20's.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Xort Xort:

Royalists have already stated that the real head of state is the PM, and that the GG has no power, and that the Queen has no power.

Why don't we just make it offical when the Queen dies?

And for a list of some republics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_republics

Shitty little places like USA, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, (South) Korea, Finland, Ireland, Israel, Singapore. Just about all of South America.

Being a republic is in no way a negative to the ability of a nation to do well and have a good standard of living.

~

If everyone already agrees that our Queen does nothing and has no power then why don't we just update our laws to be accurate to how things really are?

Again, why fuck with something that is not broken? I'm sure it would cost quite a bit to become a republic... gotta reprint all the currency, update government paperwork/forms, introduce now legal traditions, etc, etc... I'm sure the costs would be high or we could keep the monarch and pay about 50 million a year.

We can't just decide hmm.. today I think we'll become a republic, and the poof! the next day we are the republic of Canada, it costs a boatload to pull it off, qnd when you have 1.1 Trillion in debt, perhaps blowing another hundred billion on switching governments is not such a smart idea.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Well, when she steps down, or dies, you would have to do the same thing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 pm

fair enough. However, we wouldn't be changing the government, just phasing in the new currency with either King Charles III or King William V on the front of the coin, the other currency with Elizabeth would stay in circulation, whereas with a change from Monarchy to Republic all the currency in circulation would have to be withdrawn.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:03 pm

llama66 llama66:
fair enough. However, we wouldn't be changing the government, just phasing in the new currency with either King Charles III or King William V on the front of the coin, the other currency with Elizabeth would stay in circulation, whereas with a change from Monarchy to Republic all the currency in circulation would have to be withdrawn.

There's time for that. You can decide to become a republic in 20 years. Or something. We all know government is not really known to make ANY quick changes.
Unless of course it is wage changes for the top-guys ;-)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:28 pm

I believe a one-time payment to end monarchy in Canada, however high, is better than eternal annual payments until further notice just to keep it...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
I believe a one-time payment to end monarchy in Canada, however high, is better than eternal annual payments until further notice just to keep it...

So a trillion dollar pay out to the monarchy is good with you? come on give your head a shake, I get the fact to many the Monarchy is something they abhor, however it is the current form of government, I don't think we should flush potentially tens or hundreds of billions (or less...?) down the toilet because its no longer fashionable to like the monarchy, if there comes a time when the monarchy is phased out in the UK or the other Commonwealth Nations, then obviously we will need to revisit this topic. As I've said before, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:37 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
$1:
I understand some people getting their knickers in a knot - I raised a similar question when I joined the Militia (way back when) and they asked me to swear to defend the Queen. In the end, I said the oath, but my heart really wasn't in it.

Funny.

I'm a tenth generation Canadian, 14th generation North American but I was proud of the tradition and had no trouble at all swearing that same oath.

Curious why did you have to swear the oath? Was it for military service?

A citizen born in the USA does not swear an oath to the country or the constitution unless they are elected to a political office or join the military. There is a similar type oath for law enforcement. As a basic citizen the only oath you state is the pledge of allegiance to the flag.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:52 am

stratos stratos:
A citizen born in the USA does not swear an oath to the country or the constitution unless they are elected to a political office or join the military. There is a similar type oath for law enforcement. As a basic citizen the only oath you state is the pledge of allegiance to the flag.

And all of those oaths bear a striking similarity to the oaths taken in a Masonic Lodge. Curious, no?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 am

All Oaths have a similarity. You are swearing allegiance and or adherence to something or someone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:23 am

That's my point. All those oaths have a very similar wording to them, all owing their roots in the Masonic Lodge.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
stratos stratos:

And all of those oaths bear a striking similarity to the oaths taken in a Masonic Lodge. Curious, no?

Are they.....and are you sharing things you shouldn't?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Are they.....and are you sharing things you shouldn't?

They are. And, no, I haven't shared anything I shouldn't. That was part of one of my oaths. :wink:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  Next