bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Their line represents the 200 mile limit from the islands they claim[i][/i]

They don't respect the same 200 mile off shore limit off of Brunei, the Philippines and Malaysia, though. The Chinese probably are cautious about Vietnam. The last little war over the Parasol Islands left the Chinese humiliated.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

They don't respect the same 200 mile off shore limit off of Brunei, the Philippines and Malaysia, though. The Chinese probably are cautious about Vietnam. The last little war over the Parasol Islands left the Chinese humiliated.

Do you mean the Paracel Islands? The Chinese won that one, but their opponent was an ailing South Vietnam which was less than a year away from being overrun entirely by the North.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:21 pm

The Paracel Islands have been controlled by China since Vietnam lost that little war back in 1974.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm

are they near the Paracel Islands.....only with sunnier weather :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm

... got it backwards ...creaky memory ...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:26 pm

better than leaky mammaries

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:31 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
better than leaky mammaries

We have that problem licked.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Wada Wada:
Seems to me that sharing the wealth would be a better answer than aggression from either side leading to a possible war. :roll:

China and Japan don't get along. Never have. Lot of fence mending to be done there. Neither side seems that interested in doing it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Wada Wada:
Seems to me that sharing the wealth would be a better answer than aggression from either side leading to a possible war. :roll:

China and Japan don't get along. Never have. Lot of fence mending to be done there. Neither side seems that interested in doing it.

This and China has been very aggressive with Japan over the past few years.

The current round of animosity started over China's insistence about eight years ago that they had an unfettered right to use the Shimonoseki Strait for the unannounced transit of their nuclear armed nuclear submarines. Look it up on a map and you'll see why Japan was absolutely willing to go to war over it.

The Japanese now heavily patrol the strait and have promised to kill any subs that enter it without permission. The US doesn't even send our subs through there submerged anymore.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:27 pm

$1:
The Japanese now heavily patrol the strait and have promised to kill any subs that enter it without permission. The US doesn't even send our subs through there submerged anymore.

:idea:

North West Passage :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Holy facepalm. It's got nothing to do with respect, it's got to do with geography. The disputed islands lie closer than 400 miles from the coasts of Brunei, the Philippines and Malaysia, so their 200 mile limits cross one another. But those islands are more than 400 miles from Vietnam, so there's no crossover of territorial limits. :roll:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:30 pm

$1:

:idea:

North West Passage :twisted:

Canada would need ASW ships with ice breaking capabilities to enforce the NWP. Be sure to send us a memo when you guys build them and we'll stop sending our subs through there to follow everyone else's subs through there. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 pm

an overzealous tallking head on CCTV claimed the Philippines last year

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 pm

an overzealous tallking head on CCTV claimed the Philippines last year

I saw that. The result is the Phillipinos decided to invite the US back to Subic and Clark. And then the USA just effectively gave the Phillipine Navy a couple of kick-ass destroyers outfitted with our latest ADWS just to give Joe Chink a kick in the balls.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:49 pm

$1:
Holy facepalm. It's got nothing to do with respect, it's got to do with geography.

If tghey ever start shooting over those boundaries ... and I can't imagine how they avoid doing that, respect will play a major role. Notice that the Chines fleet is not cruising 50 miles off of San Diego.