Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:47 am

Because that mail has to get to the contractor in the first place. Remote places cost a lot to ship mail to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:12 am

andyt andyt:
Because that mail has to get to the contractor in the first place. Remote places cost a lot to ship mail to.

So the cost of driving the mail to the rural distribution centre pushes the cost of rural mail over urban mail? I doubt that.

Labour is the large expense here. When you have a contractor that can do the job in a fraction of the time it takes carrier to do in an urban area, the big savings is in the labour cost.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 am

Well, i don't have the figures. Obviously it's cheaper to deliver to a super box than to individual homes. But by volume it's going to cost a lot more to get the mail to a rural post office in the first place - I doubt these isolated places even have super boxes. That's what's under discussion here - all the very remote places we have in Canada, that still get mail service for the same price as the city does.

As I said, I have no problem with going to the new system, but at the same time they should look at distance/volume pricing. But the Reformacons won't have that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:36 am

andyt andyt:
As I said, I have no problem with going to the new system, but at the same time they should look at distance/volume pricing. But the Reformacons won't have that.

Your logic is flawed.

It won't cost the rural people more to receive mail, it will cost the companies and those who advertise via mail more to contact the rural Canadians.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 am

I found out yesterday that I pay $2 to Telus so they can send me my paper bill.

Just sayin.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:40 am

It would cost anybody that sends mail to the rural area more, and cost those living there more to send mail out. Mail is not a one way system.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:08 am

andyt andyt:
It would cost anybody that sends mail to the rural area more, and cost those living there more to send mail out. Mail is not a one way system.

Point being, andy....people don't send letters anymore. We receive mail but rarely send it.

For the couple times that people send mail on an annual basis these days, bump the cost if you have to.

I read in the paper recently that we get 15 pieces of junk mail for every 1 piece of 'first class' mail.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:10 am

the post office makes money on junk mail - that's why they take it. Only first class mail is a post office monopoly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:09 am

Brenda Brenda:
redhatmamma redhatmamma:
Faux outrage is right. Where has all this outrage been for the 2/3 of Canadians including the disabled and elderly who allready don't have home delivery.

Maybe we should bring back the milk man too.

Exactly. I don't see the point, nor do my elderly neighbours.

8O
0:
milkman.jpg

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:12 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Let's be honest. This is about saving money, pure and simple. Concern for the elderly probably wasn't even really considered when they made this decision.

This is business. You don't run a business around a select few people.

I wouldn't consider 1 in 7 Canadians "a select few"...

$1:
The number of seniors aged 65 and over increased 14.1% between 2006 and 2011 to nearly 5 million.

http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensem ... 01-eng.cfm

That's from two years ago - and the Boomers just started to reach 65 in 2011...meaning those numbers will climb even higher in the coming years.

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:
I'm glad that your 89 year old grandmother can walk to the mailbox - however, she is not representative of 100% of seniors. I've volunteered for a senior's organization here in Edmonton and let me tell you, many of that age cannot walk a few doors down the street, no matter the season. Others can do so in summer months, but not the winter ones. Others can barely walk a few steps before running out of breath.

Since you have first hand experience, how do these people get their food?

Do we offer door-to-door food delivery by a government run agency?

The bottom line is that the very select few Canadians that will be affected by this and they often have family or caregivers to help them shop, take them to doctors appointments, etc. I doubt that these people won't help the same seniors get their mail.

Many of the seniors I know either rely on a non-profit to help them (the one I volunteered at) or family members. I don't see too many non-profits or family members going to help seniors to walk a hundred metres or two down the street.

Again, 1 in 7 (14%) is hardly a "select few."

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Finally, while these changes might make Canada Post break even, it may cost health care organizations (falls account for 25% of hospital admissions) more to deal with the fallout from this decision. This appears to be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Give me a break! What a load of crap. :lol:

This is a case of moving a business into the 21st century, making a smart and overdue decision that makes logical and financial sense for the vast majority of Canadians, while you and the rest of the anti-Harper crew want to make a political point on the backs of seniors and the disabled.

Let's not let common sense get in the way of a perfectly valid decision by Canada Post.

I guess these visits must all be free...

$1:
Dr. Sandy Dong, an emergency room doctor at the University of Alberta Hospital, said doctors there have been swamped treating broken bones, cuts and scrapes caused by tumbles on the slippery sidewalks.

Dong said dozens of patients had been treated in the past four days, and that some had to be hospitalized.

This is especially serious for senior citizens, he said.

“And if you do have a fall as a senior, you are much higher risk to developing complications while you're recovering,” said Dong.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.2469602

But I'm sure this will NEVER happen again once seniors are expected to walk down the street a few houses to get their mail. I'm also sure that NONE of them will develop complications that will require even more medical treatment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 pm

$1:
Dr. Sandy Dong, an emergency room doctor at the University of Alberta Hospital

Ahhh, yes. I remember him ... the famous "Slippery Dong".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:17 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

I wouldn't consider 1 in 7 Canadians "a select few"...

$1:
The number of seniors aged 65 and over increased 14.1% between 2006 and 2011 to nearly 5 million.

Your entire post was overshadowed by your awful math.

1 in 7 Canadians don't have mobility problems.

Just because someone is a senior or disabled, doesn't mean they instantly have trouble getting around.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Regardless it's a stupid thing to say -- seniors need the exercise. Just one other little tidbit, along with the musings of Mackay and Moore -- demonstrating the overall mean-spiritedness of the Conservatives.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Regardless it's a stupid thing to say -- seniors need the exercise. Just one other little tidbit, along with the musings of Mackay and Moore -- demonstrating the overall mean-spiritedness of the Conservatives.

I'm not a meany.

Merry Christmas Zip. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:39 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I'm not a meany.

Merry Christmas Zip. [B-o]

I'm an old fashioned Red Tory so I still drop a Twoney in the Sally Ann pots when I walk by.,

We're an endangered species, though. There was a time in our history when we were down to one breeding pair.