CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Xort Xort:
Gunnair Gunnair:
You don't think those were indicators of mental illness? Because those sound exactly like indicators of mental illness to me.

What mental illness do you think is indicated?

Possible bi-polar and Schizophrenia to begin.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Probably not. It would have been mentioned during the inquest she certainly spent enough time in mental institutions to be diagnosed and medicated.

$1:
She was diagnosed with ADHD, learning disorder, borderline personality disorder and narcissistic personality traits.
Borderline is the killer - no real treatment for it, a deep seated personality disorder with very difficult behaviors including self harm. "I hate you, don't leave me" is the classic line. Ie they want attention but it's never enough, nor the right kind.

12% of Canadian federal inmates are diagnosed with a mental illness - bet there's lots more that aren't diagnosed. NIMH found that in state prisons 62% of inmates met the criteria of mental illness.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Christmas came early this year. Thanks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Xort Xort:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Christmas came early this year. Thanks.

Indeed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

You don't think those were indicators of mental illness? Because those sound exactly like indicators of mental illness to me.

Had you or Beaver known anything about this case prior to jumping in, you'd know the extent of treatment and rehabilitation they tried with her during the years prior to her death.

Before you jump any further, read up on the case a little.

Some here would like us to believe that Ashley Smith was jailed for throwing apples and that she was imprisoned with zero care for her mental health or her well being.

Corrections Canada went to extreme measures to protect Ashley from herself and protect those who cared for her all while trying to get her help for her mental issues.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:26 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Had you or Beaver known anything about this case prior to jumping in, you'd know the extent of treatment and rehabilitation they tried with her during the years prior to her death.

Before you jump any further, read up on the case a little.

Some here would like us to believe that Ashley Smith was jailed for throwing apples and that she was imprisoned with zero care for her mental health or her well being.

Corrections Canada went to extreme measures to protect Ashley from herself and protect those who cared for her all while trying to get her help for her mental issues.

Apologies, I hadn't known you'd swapped in car sales for psychology. I thought we were simply nameless dudes on the interwebz speculating well outside our field with only cursory facts at our disposal. :lol:

That being said, are you positing that her previous behavior showed no indications of mental illness?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Apologies, I hadn't known you'd swapped in car sales for psychology. I thought we were simply nameless dudes on the interwebz speculating well outside our field with only cursory facts at our disposal. :lol:

That being said, are you positing that her previous behavior showed no indications of mental illness?

Since when does understanding the public facts of a case require knowledge of psycology?

Those same public facts you don't know anything about, yet it hasn't stopped you from continuing to participate in the discussion.

And yes, her behaviour had all the signs of mental illness....hence my point. Had you or Beaver known anything about the case beyond media talking points, you'd know that she was treated heavily during the final years of her life for her mental issues and they went to extreme measures to protect her and tried to rehabilitate her.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:12 pm

andyt andyt:
Probably not. It would have been mentioned during the inquest she certainly spent enough time in mental institutions to be diagnosed and medicated.

$1:
She was diagnosed with ADHD, learning disorder, borderline personality disorder and narcissistic personality traits.
Borderline is the killer - no real treatment for it, a deep seated personality disorder with very difficult behaviors including self harm. "I hate you, don't leave me" is the classic line. Ie they want attention but it's never enough, nor the right kind.

12% of Canadian federal inmates are diagnosed with a mental illness - bet there's lots more that aren't diagnosed. NIMH found that in state prisons 62% of inmates met the criteria of mental illness.

I understand that an unusually high percentage of prison inmates appear to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome ... which can reduce one's inhibitions against engaging in risky activities.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:33 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Since when does understanding the public facts of a case require knowledge of psycology?

Those same public facts you don't know anything about, yet it hasn't stopped you from continuing to participate in the discussion.

And yes, her behaviour had all the signs of mental illness....hence my point. Had you or Beaver known anything about the case beyond media talking points, you'd know that she was treated heavily during the final years of her life for her mental issues and they went to extreme measures to protect her and tried to rehabilitate her.

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Incorrectly assuming that everyone gets better with treatment and ignoring the fact that she was treated in various mental hospitals but her actions landed her outside of those facilities because of the hundreds of incidents and violence.

Gunnair Gunnair:

Straight forward and civil question on your comment, OTI. No need to engage the ol' inner 9 year old in response.

Anyway, it appears the coroner's inquest disagrees with you in respect to the trying to protect her part. Guess they forgot to ask for all that expert opinion you have....you know, the stuff you gathered above and beyond the media talking points. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:10 am

Gunnair Gunnair:

Straight forward and civil question on your comment, OTI. No need to engage the ol' inner 9 year old in response.

My reply was civil and straight forward. You opted to tag a dig at me with respect to my profession. Perhaps you can leave the digs at the door if you expect civility in return.

Gunnair Gunnair:
Anyway, it appears the coroner's inquest disagrees with you in respect to the trying to protect her part. Guess they forgot to ask for all that expert opinion you have....you know, the stuff you gathered above and beyond the media talking points. :wink:

Perhaps you should read the inquest before you comment. I'm not sure why you feel the need to continually comment in the topic if you can't be bothered to educate yourself more on the case.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:13 am

With all the digs everyone is trying to do why not come on over to my work and dig the ditch we are thinking of diging. Do you DIG IT? 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:21 am

"Guards who videotaped her death testified that they did not intervene in time to save Smith's life because they were under strict orders from prison management not to enter her cell."

I can not tell you how much this pisses me off as a former Corrections Officer. Part of the job is protecting the inmates from harm that includes from harming themselfs.

The prison management needs to face charges.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:56 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

Had you or Beaver known anything about the case beyond media talking points, you'd know that she was treated heavily during the final years of her life for her mental issues and they went to extreme measures to protect her and tried to rehabilitate her....
Perhaps you should read the inquest before you comment.

Have you????

The very first line of the very first page:

Coroner's Jury Coroner's Jury:
WE RECOMMEND:

1. That Ashley Smith's experience within the correctional system is taught as a case study to all Correctional Service of Canada management and staff at the institutional, regional, and national levels. This case study can demonstrate how the correctional system and federal/provincial health care can collectively fail to provide an identified mentally ill, high risk, high needs inmate with the appropriate care, treatment and support. This case study can also demonstrate the lack of communication, cohesiveness, and accountability of a large organization such as Correctional Service of Canada.

It continues:

Coroner's Jury Coroner's Jury:

B. ALTERNATIVES TO PENITENTIARY

WE RECOMMEND:

15. That female inmates with serious mental health issues and/or self-injurious behaviours serve their federal terms of imprisonment in a federally-operated treatment facility, not a security-focused, prison-like environment.

Maybe you should read the report before you pull your primitve small-minded bullshit out of your ass.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/192573968/Ash ... th-Verdict

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:13 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Have you????

The very first line of the very first page:

Maybe you should read the report before you pull your primitve small-minded bullshit out of your ass.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/192573968/Ash ... th-Verdict

Wow, so because something was recommended, it means that they did nothing to address her mental health?

I've read the report. I'm also very familiar with the case from start to finish, unlike you. If I'm 'small-minded' yet I come into the discussion with more info than you, what does that say about you?

What about your incorrect assertion that she was jailed just for throwing apples and that she should never have been involved with the law at all. Your words.

No need to get all pissy and resort to name calling. The only one spewing bullshit is you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:08 pm

You haven't demonstrated that you've come into this discussion with anything, except an attempt to excuse.the inexcusable. Do you not understand that those who havet investigated this death disagree with you, or do you just think you know better than them?

Maybe you just dont understand that when a coroner's jury rules the death a HOMICIDE, proclaim that it be studied by future generations as a CASE of systemic ERRORS, and a catalyst for massive CHANGE it doesnt mean "everythings fine, everyone did all they could".