Category: Tech
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2014-01-28 09:10:28
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 am

I'll have to give this a shot. We only get two FM stations around here though.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:28 am

I've been waiting for this update since I got the phone. Runs all Android apps at full processor speed now!

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:40 am

Updating now!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:40 am

Is this really news ? One of my first ancient nokias had a FM radio and so does my current Nokia 920, so did my previous Samsung and the dozen other phones I had before, all data free.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am

desertdude desertdude:
Is this really news ? One of my first ancient nokias had a FM radio and so does my current Nokia 920, so did my previous Samsung and the dozen other phones I had before, all data free.

Lots of data was free till the companies figured out they can charge for quanity. Just like the internet and charging for data based on use........because they were getting their ass kicked to the curb with TV packages.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:45 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I've been waiting for this update since I got the phone. Runs all Android apps at full processor speed now!

It can run all?

Then I can consider switching.

Blackberry Playbook could run a few.

Always wondered why FM Radio isn't a standard thing on modern phones.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00 pm

desertdude desertdude:

The Galaxy S4 was where they stopped putting in FM radio. I don't know why, because it's an easy circuit to make. Unless, like Regina said, it was a revenue stream thing.

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It can run all?

Then I can consider switching.

Blackberry Playbook could run a few.

Always wondered why FM Radio isn't a standard thing on modern phones.

$1:
BlackBerry's QNX-based systems, including the axed PlayBook tablet, have previously included an Android runtime: a virtual machine runtime capable of abstracting the Java calls an Android app makes into QNX system calls.

But this was mostly there to encourage the rapid porting of apps such as Skype. A developer making their Android app "BlackBerry compatible" still needed to do a lot of tweaking – and if the app called native Linux libraries it would need to be recompiled, and new code written.

This was a major compatibility hold up, and most developers didn't bother.

The new runtime in 10.2.1 allows an Android app to be downloaded from an app store and run in place, even if it calls Linux libraries. This allows BlackBerry to plug the "app gap" overnight, and even if it makes native BB10 apps less likely (why bother if your Android version will run?) BlackBerry needs competitiveness today, not jam tomorrow.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/28 ... y_official

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:02 pm

I wonder if that means you can now chroot into a Linux distro with a Blackberry device?? Holy shit, that's about all i could ask for from Blackberry.

Wonder what opportunities there are for customized firmware...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:31 pm

I wonder if that means you can now chroot into a Linux distro with a Blackberry device?? Holy shit, that's about all i could ask for from Blackberry.

Wonder what opportunities there are for customized firmware...

Why spend more on a slower more expensive BB, to turn it into an Android?

If anyone understands the 'because I can' motivation it's me, but this seems strange.

You can't chroot to a linux environment from in a QNX kernel. You need to boot a linux kernel first.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Security concerns. Current tablet has no opportunities for fully vetted custom firmware to be installed. Blackberry has always been interesting for its focus on secure communication. I like that.

Because I can is admitedly a good part of it too.

If it can run android apps and people have figured a way of doing to it what has been done with android devices, I see it as better than android.

"Slower" is definitely a subjective and biased statement...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Curtman Curtman:

Because not everyone is content to let big corporations into our lives so they they can try to sell us stuff we don't want and can't afford?

And, as the article says, "BlackBerry needs competitiveness today, not jam tomorrow" so using Android apps in their native format gets rid of the stigma that 'there are no apps for it'.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:17 pm

"Slower" is definitely a subjective and biased statement...

Indeed. In 1980's standards, your phone would be one (four) of the most powerful computers on Earth. . . that has to run only on a tiny battery all day long.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:20 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Curtman Curtman:

Because not everyone is content to let big corporations into our lives so they they can try to sell us stuff we don't want and can't afford?

And, as the article says, "BlackBerry needs competitiveness today, not jam tomorrow" so using Android apps in their native format gets rid of the stigma that 'there are no apps for it'.

He was talking about running a linux environment chroot on a BB phone. I understand why BB wants to run android apps, but think it will work about as well as it worked out for OS/2 running windows apps.

I would suggest that getting an Android phone, and running Ubuntu on it would be a better solution for the tin-foil-hat crowd. They're just as much of a data-sucking-corporation, but at least it's open software. You can turn off the nasty bits if you want. Or stick with a roll-your-own Android.

The corporations will suck your data through the apps, so what difference would it make using android apps on blackberry?

The chances of running anything but a Blackberry OS on your blackberry phone aren't good.

Current tablet has no opportunities for fully vetted custom firmware to be installed.

You still have the Asus Transformer? The newer ones are easier to load custom firmware, but AFAIK they all can.

Last edited by Curtman on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Curtman Curtman:
I would suggest that getting an Android phone, and running Ubuntu on it would be a better solution for the tin-foil-hat crowd.

Tin-foil hat has nothing to do with it, unless you are full-on booting into Linux.
Chrooting with Android is just fun, is all, :lol:

I haven't exactly grown the balls to learn the science of walking the fine brick line of going full tilt and changing the OS.