Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Middle power my ass.

I wonder if we will ever do anything about it.

Personally, I doubt it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:16 am

martin14 martin14:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Middle power my ass.

I wonder if we will ever do anything about it.

Personally, I doubt it.

I don't think anyone will do a thing and Putin knows it. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:51 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
If Canada was exporting military equipment to Russia I'd want it stopped as well.

Economic hit be damned.

Bombardier is in discussions to build 100 regional planes in Russia, and this mess is severely hampering those discussions.

Russia took control of 3 Ukrainian naval ships yesterday. I'm kind of surprised the Ukrainian navy didn't scuttle them all when Russia started taking over. I'd also be very concerned if all the computer systems are intact.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
saturn_656 saturn_656:
If Canada was exporting military equipment to Russia I'd want it stopped as well.

Economic hit be damned.

Bombardier is in discussions to build 100 regional planes in Russia, and this mess is severely hampering those discussions.

Russia took control of 3 Ukrainian naval ships yesterday. I'm kind of surprised the Ukrainian navy didn't scuttle them all when Russia started taking over. I'd also be very concerned if all the computer systems are intact.

Criminal code doesn't allow to destroy army property. Government didn't made country war condition in law so to destroy ships will be outlaw. It was better to get out of that ships for militians.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:26 am

PostFactum PostFactum:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
saturn_656 saturn_656:

Economic hit be damned.

Criminal code doesn't allow to destroy army property. Government didn't made country war condition in law so to destroy ships will be outlaw. It was better to get out of that ships for militians.

That's just wrong. Ukrainians pioneered the 'salt the earth and boil the sea' tactic of retreat. Leaving those naval assets intact just gives the enemy more weapons to bring to bear. And the computer systems will contain information needed to gain big strategic advantages over the obvious Russian aim of bringing troops right up to the Dnepier river.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
saturn_656 saturn_656:

Economic hit be damned.

So Bombardier might not get to offshore Q400 production to the Russian state aircraft factory at the expense of the Downsview plant?

Good.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:20 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
saturn_656 saturn_656:

Economic hit be damned.

So Bombardier might not get to offshore Q400 production to the Russian state aircraft factory at the expense of the Downsview plant?

Good.

Countries that trade together don't war against each other. Having some ongoing trade gives us a little influence in Russia to try to stop this. Instead, we ban certain Russians from opening bank accounts in Canada. I'm sure they are quaking in their space boots over that. Oh, the tragedy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Countries that trade together don't war against each other. Having some ongoing trade gives us a little influence in Russia to try to stop this. Instead, we ban certain Russians from opening bank accounts in Canada. I'm sure they are quaking in their space boots over that. Oh, the tragedy.

It'd be nice if that were true, but it isn't. France and Germany were each other's largest trading partners prior to WW2.

I'd add a caveat that democracies that trade with each other don't go to war with each other - once you throw a totatlitarian government into the mix (or a quasi one like Russia these days), that rule is generally invalid.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 am

I don't believe that two democracies have ever gone to war against each other.

The closest one that comes to mind is the war between the Union States and the Confederate States.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 am

If you count the South as a Demorcacy then the U.S. Civil War would count. Outside of that I think you might find some ancient Greek city states that were Democracies that did.

Some people would argue that WWII had democracies fighting each other but those allied with Germany had mophed into puppet states while Germany itself had morphed into a Dictatorship.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:47 am

War of the states is a democracy fighting itself. Ireland might be another example, probably others.

But it's a stretch to call Greek states or even the US during civil war as democracies, with more than half the population disenfranchised to vote.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 am

stratos stratos:
If you count the South as a Demorcacy then the U.S. Civil War would count. Outside of that I think you might find some ancient Greek city states that were Democracies that did.

Some people would argue that WWII had democracies fighting each other but those allied with Germany had mophed into puppet states while Germany itself had morphed into a Dictatorship.

Germany's claim to be a democracy ended when the Reichstag burned down.

Italy ... Japan ... Romania ... never. Finland, maybe.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 am

andyt andyt:
War of the states is a democracy fighting itself. Ireland might be another example, probably others.

But it's a stretch to call Greek states or even the US during civil war as democracies, with more than half the population disenfranchised to vote.

Neither of the "Irelands" were even remotely democratic when that conflict started in the 17th century.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 am

Democracy was/is a relative term. Compared to everyone else of the time, they were the freest and fairest systems. Sort of why I chuckle when the Yanks go on about the tyranny of King George. He was a figurehead and they were ruled by an elected parliament, that spoke equally for all Britons regardless of their location throughout the Empire.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Democracy was/is a relative term. Compared to everyone else of the time, they were the freest and fairest systems. Sort of why I chuckle when the Yanks go on about the tyranny of King George. He was a figurehead and they were ruled by an elected parliament, that spoke equally for all Britons regardless of their location throughout the Empire.

Those revolutionary Americans were already the freest people on the planet.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2612 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 40  41  42  43  44  45  46 ... 175  Next