canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Couple new developments in the news. Pro-Russian militants have kidnapped an OSCE team and branded them "NATO spies". An airfield in the region was attacked, a Ukrainian helicopter and surveillance plane were destroyed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
On April 17, Harper announced Canada is sending 6 CF-18s, along with air crew and technical support for the jets.

From National Post
$1:
The Canadian fighter jets will join warplanes from the United States, Britain, Denmark, Poland, Portugal and Germany, which will be deploying in waves between now and the fall.

Yes, right.

Are the Americans the only ones sending soldiers?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:33 pm

It would be funny if the Germans sent some reinforcements. That might freak the Russians out a bit.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Global News April 17
$1:
On Wednesday, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, NATO’s secretary general, announced what was dubbed a “reassurance package” for jittery east European members of the alliance.

Over the next few months additional air, sea and land forces will take up positions in former East Bloc countries.
The Canadian fighter jets will join warplanes from the United States, Britain, Denmark, Poland, Portugal and Germany, which will be deploying in waves between now and the fall.

Canada is also slated to take part in July in a long-planned, U.S.-led military exercise in Ukraine, known as Rapid Trident 2014, but the government has not been forthcoming about the size and scope of the country’s involvement.

DefenceMediaNetwork April 24
$1:
NATO Minesweepers Deploy to Baltic Sea to Reassure Allies

Departing from Kiel, Germany, Standing NATO Mine Counter-Measures Group One (SNMCMG1) is composed of four minesweepers and one support vessel. The flagship is the Royal Norwegian Navy support vessel HNoMS Valkyrien. One minesweeper each comes from the Royal Netherlands Navy, Royal Norwegian Navy, Belgian Navy, and the Estonian Navy. The HNLMS Makkum, HNoMS Otra, BNS Bellus, and ENS Admiral Cowan comprise the minesweepers. Royal Norwegian Navy Cmdr. Eirik Otterbu is in command of SNMCMG1.

Last edited by Winnipegger on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
RT.COM
US soldiers arrive in Lithuania to ‘reassure’ NATO allies amid Ukrainian crisis
$1:
The Lithuanian government welcomed the arrival of 150 troops at the Lithuanian Air Force Aviation Base in Siauliai on Saturday, reported Reuters. Referring to the escalating tensions in Ukraine, President Dalia Grybauskaite said “we know in this situation who our real friends are coming to help."

"If any of our guests are injured, it would mean an open confrontation not with Lithuania but with the United States," she added. The group of troops is part of a larger contingent of 600 troops that have been deployed throughout Eastern Europe to reassure NATO allies. Another company of soldiers arrived in Poland on Wednesday and in Latvia on Friday. Troops are also expected to arrive in Estonia on Monday.

This woman makes it sound like they'll be using the American soldiers as shields, :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Winnipegger Winnipegger:
RT.COM
US soldiers arrive in Lithuania to ‘reassure’ NATO allies amid Ukrainian crisis
$1:
The Lithuanian government welcomed the arrival of 150 troops at the Lithuanian Air Force Aviation Base in Siauliai on Saturday, reported Reuters. Referring to the escalating tensions in Ukraine, President Dalia Grybauskaite said “we know in this situation who our real friends are coming to help."

"If any of our guests are injured, it would mean an open confrontation not with Lithuania but with the United States," she added. The group of troops is part of a larger contingent of 600 troops that have been deployed throughout Eastern Europe to reassure NATO allies. Another company of soldiers arrived in Poland on Wednesday and in Latvia on Friday. Troops are also expected to arrive in Estonia on Monday.

This woman makes it sound like they'll be using the American soldiers as shields, :?

More like sacrificial lambs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:57 am

xerxes xerxes:
It would be funny if the Germans sent some reinforcements. That might freak the Russians out a bit.

They really should. They have an obligation to do so. Germany is the prime benefactor of containing Russian ambitions, as well. Germany has tremendous historic responsibilities in all of these events and they should bloody well start making some of it right.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:16 am

$1:
Ukraine crisis: Kharkiv Mayor Hennady Kernes shot in the back
The mayor of Ukraine's second-largest city was shot in the back and pro-Russia insurgents seized more government buildings Monday as the U.S. hit Russia with more sanctions for allegedly fomenting the unrest in eastern Ukraine.

Armed insurgents tacitly backed by Moscow are seeking more autonomy in the region — possibly even independence or annexation with Russia.

Ukraine's acting government and the West have accused Russia of orchestrating the unrest, which they fear Moscow could use as a pretext for an invasion. Last month, Russia annexed Crimea weeks after seizing control of the Black Sea peninsula.

In a bid to ratchet up the pressure on Russian President Vladimir Putin, U.S. President Barack Obama's government levied new sanctions on seven Russian officials and 17 companies with links to Putin's inner circle. The U.S. is also revoking licenses for high-tech items that could be used by the Russian military.

The European Union is also planning more sanctions against Russia, with ambassadors from the bloc's 28 members meeting Monday in Brussels.

. . .

Insurgency turns to kidnapping

Meanwhile, the increasingly ruthless pro-Russia insurgency is turning to an ominous new tactic: kidnapping. About 40 people are being held hostage in makeshift jails in Slovyansk — including journalists, pro-Ukraine activists and seven military observers from the Organization of Security and Co-operation in Europe, Ukraine's Security Service said Monday.

The German government on Monday decried the seizure of the European military observers and called for their immediate release. Eight observers, including three German officers, were detained Friday on allegations they were spying for NATO. One Swedish officer among them was released Sunday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-cr ... -1.2623922

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:26 am

Good Job, I would be the first who would shake a hand of those one who was shooting. Proud of this act.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 am

Why does't Ukraine act against these thugs? Do they really think that if they just let these guys run wild, Putin won't make his move at some point anyway? Letting these guys be is just legitimizing Putin's claim of protecting Russians - that if they just leave these guys along Putin will be satisfied. So then what? East Ukraine is just in the hands of these thugs instead of regular Russian forces? How is that any better?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:47 am

andyt andyt:
Why does't Ukraine act against these thugs? Do they really think that if they just let these guys run wild, Putin won't make his move at some point anyway? Letting these guys be is just legitimizing Putin's claim of protecting Russians - that if they just leave these guys along Putin will be satisfied. So then what? East Ukraine is just in the hands of these thugs instead of regular Russian forces? How is that any better?

I see you are in a mood for good charge again. Do you understand, that 25-th of May there are elections, those morons on East are still part of Ukraine? Forces blocked bastards in their locations, at this time we have stability. Horrible situation but stable one. In this conditions it's possible to make elections, on border there is 40k Russian army, this morons are just waiting for a reason to come. It's not fucking video game where you build tank factory and soldier locations, they are made, and bang, bang - Russians are defeated, it's life.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 am

As I say, the Russians will come anyway. Do you think Putin is saying to himself "oh, they're not attacking my provocateurs, I guess I won't invade after all?"

Do you think in this climate, with armed insurrectionists and Ukraine army on the streets, fair and peaceful elections can be held? These guys know they would likely lose the election. Do you think they will just meekly sit there and allow them?

What Ukraine needs to do is capture as many of these guys as possible - use overwhelming force against small pockets. Then Ukraine can identify these guys and prove or disprove the claim these are Russian forces once and for all.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:55 am

andyt andyt:
As I say, the Russians will come anyway. Do you think Putin is saying to himself "oh, they're not attacking my provocateurs, I guess I won't invade after all?"

Do you think in this climate, with armed insurrectionists and Ukraine army on the streets, fair and peaceful elections can be held? These guys know they would likely lose the election. Do you think they will just meekly sit there and allow them?

Elections mean that we have a cource, we know where we go. This time we have temporary government. To wait is better than start a fight, later fight means better prepare. Time works for Ukraine, not for Russia. With time Russia loses it's power, economy suffers. And yes we can make democratic elections, we still have good cops. In any case Russians prepare something at 25-th of May.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:58 am

Ok, those are good points. I have my doubts about those elections coming off effectively in the East. I think Putin knows he can't let that happen, so he will raise all kinds of shit at that time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:00 am

andyt andyt:
Ok, those are good points. I have my doubts about those elections coming off effectively in the East. I think Putin knows he can't let that happen, so he will raise all kinds of shit at that time.
I have the same feeling.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2612 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 62  63  64  65  66  67  68 ... 175  Next