Title: Canadian converts to Islam focus of study by Australian sociologist
Category: Religion
Posted By: andyt
Date: 2015-07-25 06:45:06
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:48 am

Good idea. But a better question to ask is what makes Muslims, whether long time or recent converts convert to jihadism?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:39 am

I'm curious about the ratio of jihadists between long term vs. recent converts. I'm no Muslim apologist, but I've sometimes wondered if converting to Islam so you can become a jihadist is the latest way of sticking it to the man?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Some, maybe. Many converts are lost souls, so when they find something to believe in they want to believe in it all the way, fundamentalism style. Then it's, well if this is the truth, then I need to fight for it, and fight for my "brethren", show the world how wrong the infidels are. Also they find community with the jihadists, even if only online.

But yah, maybe this is the new version of the 60's radicals for some of them.

But you see the same thing in converts in other religions, just that jihad isn't part of the plan. But fundamental Christians certainly are teetering or even off the deep end.

I know it from Buddhism. I wanted to really get into the religion, did various initiation ceremonies and called myself a Buddhist. Just that Buddhism doesn't lend itself to fundamentalism, and I'm pretty skeptical by nature. The nice thing in Buddhism is you challenge the beliefs, and the teacher smiles and says very good to ask questions, now go sit with it. Buddhist belief might have right or wrong answers, but you're not labelled a heretic if you don't swallow the whole deal. It's the old idea of "if you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" idea. Ie the truth isn't out there, but in here. However, serious Buddhism, in many instances, involves a guru, and you are expected to follow his orders. That's sort of where I drew the line and just wasn't ready to go down that road.

To compare it to the Abrahamic religions, the Tibetan Buddhism I was involved in attracted a lot of gay people. Yet Tibetan Buddhism says homosexual acts (and basically anything but straight intercourse) is wrong. Yet it doesn't condemn those that do those acts, just sees them as ignorant and that with practice they will see the light. You don't have sinners, just people in various stages of ignorance. The are certainly allowed to join the sangha and not persecuted in any way. That, at least is the traditional view, Western Buddhism might have moderated that stance.