bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 am

Everybody gets a trophy in the new world order of the regressive left, except blacks need 2 cause 'slavery' or something.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:08 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Everybody gets a trophy in the new world order of the regressive left, except blacks need 2 cause 'slavery' or something.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:16 pm

The reason Hollywood movies are so white is because white people don't want to watch movies with non-white leads. There are a few exceptions like Denzel and Sam Jackson, but they are usually the ONLY non-white lead in the movie, if you have more than one, it becomes an "ethnic" movie.

Also, movies are now made to sell globally and non-whites don't sell well overseas, especially in places like China. Look at the Star Wars poster, for example. They shrank the black guy for Chinese version

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Recent Best Picture Oscar Nominees

2011 - The Help
2012 - Django Unchained
2013 - 12 Years a Slave (Winner)
2014 - Selma

This year the 12% didn't get a nominee. Wah!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:36 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
The reason Hollywood movies are so white is because white people don't want to watch movies with non-white leads. There are a few exceptions like Denzel and Sam Jackson, but they are usually the ONLY non-white lead in the movie, if you have more than one, it becomes an "ethnic" movie.

Also, movies are now made to sell globally and non-whites don't sell well overseas, especially in places like China. Look at the Star Wars poster, for example. They shrank the black guy for Chinese version

That's not racism on the studios part it's what the market is.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Drama is a "Straight Club" now? :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:18 am

Bump, because the free market did what a bunch of whining couldn't. Gods of Egypt completely tanked at the box office and is slated to be the first big-budget disaster of the year. Turns out that being an incredibly crappy movie is far more fatal to a film than playing divershitty politics.

On a related note, and one that will piss off liberals to no end, replacing Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert with Trevor Noah and Larry Wilmore didn't turn out to be the best ideas. Their ratings are sheer crap compared to the that of the former hosts. Playing divershitty just for the sake of divershitty, as opposed to trying to find the best person possible for the jobs, tends to have monumental failures of this kind. Here's to Comedy Central/Viacom getting royally fucked by their own silly liberal BS. :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:29 am

$1:

Catering to that market's racism is still racist.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:37 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:

Catering to that market's racism is still racist.

I dunno. Some black actors seem to be in movies that get huge white audiences. How is people going to movies they like vs ones they don't racist? I really liked In the Heat of the Night and A Soldier's Story, both by Norman Jewison. Denzel Washington has been in many movies I enjoyed a lot. And I think I'm in the majority here - so how is that racist?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:41 am

Sez you Beav. Money is going to go where it wants to happily multiply. If it doesn't satisfy your political needs then it's too bad for you. If diversity casting meant anything more than satisfying feelings then last year's Fantastic Four remake with black Johnny Storm would have made a billion dollars. But it didn't and instead it flopped so badly it was out of the theaters in a couple of weeks. Instead it gave the studio a blow it might not recover from and potentially cost the director his entire future career. Stunt casting remains stunt casting, no matter how much anyone wants to make it seem more than it really is.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:13 am

Black people can win awards but the fact is that they have to produce widely appealing work instead of just getting awards based on their proportion of the population.

"The Color Purple" comes to mind here as the bar against which black movies should be measured.

Produce something like that and I'll pay to go see it. That's even better than an Oscar. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:44 am

Make a list of 10 performances by non-white actors from the year and compare those performances to the 10 that were nominated. Until that happens how is it possible to say that anything racist has gone on?

The real sham isn't that white people get nominated, but that THE SAME white people get nominated every year. Other white actors should be as angry as black actors about this. Cate Blanchet? Really? My 10 year old puts on a better performance every morning talking her mother into her outfit for school!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:52 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Make a list of 10 performances by non-white actors from the year and compare those performances to the 10 that were nominated. Until that happens how is it possible to say that anything racist has gone on?

I was fairly surprised that "Beasts of No Nation" was completely ignored by the Academy.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:57 am

Lemmy Lemmy:

Well said.

This was one of those years where I didn't find any fault with the nominations simply for the same reason that I couldn't come up with a better list of my own.

Not so much in past years when films like Sideways, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Field of Dreams, and etc. got passed over for crap.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
This was one of those years where I didn't find any fault with the nominations simply for the same reason that I couldn't come up with a better list of my own.

Not so much in past years when films like Sideways, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Field of Dreams, and etc. got passed over for crap.

My sentiments too. I'm not saying blacks are wrong. Maybe they aren't. I just don't know that this year's Oscars offer any specific insight into it. Maybe they should be asking why Tom Hanks' Forrest Gump won out over Morgan Freeman's Otis "Red" Redding 20 years ago. That Oscar moment was a lot more "curious" than no African-Americans being nominated this year.