Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I'll probably download it eventually - just watched Batman V Superman last night (never saw the preceding Man of Steel).

What did you think of it? I just watched it on DVD last week and found it to dark and humorless. I also did not care for how Doomsday could make Batman run and how he could beat the fuck out of Superman but couldn't even scratch Wonder Woman.

As if Wonder Woman is stronger than Superman.

The only bright spot in the movie was Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor with a very tangible mix of insanity and genius that came off as very believeable.

But no one in the move had any fun with anything. It was all just too damned serious.

The upcoming movie for Wonder Woman will likely just be more of the same.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:57 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I'll probably download it eventually - just watched Batman V Superman last night (never saw the preceding Man of Steel).

What did you think of it? I just watched it on DVD last week and found it to dark and humorless. I also did not care for how Doomsday could make Batman run and how he could beat the fuck out of Superman but couldn't even scratch Wonder Woman.

The only bright spot in the movie was Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor with a very tangible mix of insanity and genius that came off as very believeable.

But no one in the move had any fun with anything. It was all just too damned serious.

Really? Jesse Eisenberg annoyed me the most in BvS. It seemed as if he was trying for a Heath Ledger-esque Joker kind of deliberately unhinged, but came off as whiny Asperger's case with delusions of grandeur.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:00 am

They tried to do too much with BvS. They concentrated too much on it being a lead-in to the upcoming Justice League movie(s) instead of trying more to make it a film that could stand on it's own. If the three hour director's cut is a mess I can only imagine how stilted and lacking in flow the two hour theatre cut must have been. Eisenberg might have made a great Joker but his Luthor stank. Lex is a megalomaniac but he's a highly disciplined one, not some poppin' and twitchin' Ritalin-kid like in BvS.

DC/Warner is trying to make their superheroes equivalent to gods, with all the darkness that entails. Marvel is concentrating more on the fun aspect first, which is what makes their films more enjoyable. DC's argument is that the older light-hearted Superman films tanked (as did the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds playing Hal Jordan as a wisecrackin' fool), and the all-grimdark Nolan Batman films made huge money, so they've gone too much in the other direction as a result.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:33 am

xerxes xerxes:
Really? Jesse Eisenberg annoyed me the most in BvS. It seemed as if he was trying for a Heath Ledger-esque Joker kind of deliberately unhinged, but came off as whiny Asperger's case with delusions of grandeur.

Just saying but with Lex Luthor being a billionaire owner of a major corporation the grandeur was not a delusion. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:54 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Like Thanos said, I though Lex was supposed to be a cold and calculating genius type, not a wacko genius type. Plot-wise I thought the movie made little sense and even for an comic fantasy, I found a lot of it implausible. Would Batman and Superman really just start trying to kill each other without even having one attempt at conversation?

I don't recall seeing any difference between Wonder Woman and Superman abilities but I was doing other things at the time and may not have been paying close enough attention.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I don't recall seeing any difference between Wonder Woman and Superman abilities but I was doing other things at the time and may not have been paying close enough attention.

LOL, probably the single most devastating movie review EVER! R=UP

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:03 pm

BvS is not true to the original (this movie's planning stage) form. So try not to sweat the details too, too much.

Personally, I think they made Lex (Eisenberg) a bit nuttier because they no longer had access to the Joker that this was designed for...Heath Ledger. They had to take an evil entity that was lead by two (Lex & Joker, if you were wondering why Superman and Batman were involved) and make that into one person...not my preference, just my thoughts on why it occurred.

As for why WW is better vs Doomsday, you have to know the original story of The Ultimate (The Ultimate Killing Machine was renamed Doomsday by Booster Gold). He has been purpose designed to adapt and kill Kryptonian life, including give off the same radiation as green kryptonite. Basically, Superman gets weaker as he fights Doomsday, where WW does not. They didn't really cover that in the movie, just made it some legacy DNA carried in Kryptonians.

If they stay true to any of the DC Doomsday's, he'll be back soon enough. Hopefully, not as an ally to Dartkseid.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:05 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Would Batman and Superman really just start trying to kill each other without even having one attempt at conversation?

Frank Miller wrote the story line back in the late 80's. There is actually quite a bit of background on why they hate each other in the graphic novels that he wrote.

There just wasn't time enough in the movie to go over it all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 pm

With all the ret-conning in the comic books over the last decades, with "revised" origin stories, multi-title crossovers, and title relaunches (in order to sell as many "Issue #1!" copies as possible) happening every year now, there's not much point in trying to make sense of the character backgrounds anymore. Doing so only wastes precious time and brain cells.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Jesse's Lex was dope, my favourite character in the whole movie, loved the intensity of some mere mortal fucking around with people who could turn him into a thin red paste.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:16 pm

xerxes xerxes:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Avery Brooks would have been a better Lex Luthor.

Thanos Thanos:
With all the ret-conning in the comic books over the last decades, with "revised" origin stories, multi-title crossovers, and title relaunches (in order to sell as many "Issue #1!" copies as possible) happening every year now, there's not much point in trying to make sense of the character backgrounds anymore. Doing so only wastes precious time and brain cells.

When they replace RDJ as Iron Man Marvel shouldn't reboot the franchise instead carrying on with a different actor the same way the Bond franchise does.