canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 am

Title: Freezing rain, heavy snow make for dangerous road conditions in B.C.
Category: Weather
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2017-12-28 20:03:02
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 am

Drove hwy 97 from Vernon to Penticton. Do not advise it!
We were in my wife's fwd Ford Flex. Was spinning out a bit going up hills, could feel the back tires break loose a bit on a couple of corners, not a big deal. Then on the last straightaway before Penticton, right down by the lake, the car completely lost contact with ashphalt for what must have been at least 50 yards. Quite the sensation! Was doing 70km/h, didn't move either foot, very tiny slow moves on the steering wheel, not sure I even breathed. If the car had touched one little lump of ice I'm sure it would have sent us spinning. Don't go anywhwere unless you have to.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:19 am

Crews called to 14 crashes

What we were driving through...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:30 am

Here's how to shut down a country..

Heavy snow, rain, hail and gales of up to 70mph sweep Britain after another freezing night with temperatures plunging below -12C – and it's going to be a WINDY new year as Storm Dylan barrels towards Scotland and Ireland

Temperatures last night dropped to -12.3C in the Highlands while most parts of the UK dipped below freezing
Forecasters have warned of 'nasty' travel conditions and potential power outages as the day progresses
Glasgow Airport said the snow on Friday had caused operations to be 'temporarily suspended' for an hour
Storm Dylan makes landfall in Ireland on Saturday night before moving across northern parts of the UK

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z52fDrYyxw

They call this heavy snow. :lol:

I had to drive 10 hours yesterday through all kinds of rain and sleet and shit.
Only nice part was around Villach.. lots of snow. :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 am

Hey, we've got areas in Canada that can't handle those conditions cough Vancouver cough cough.

I didn't get this set of winters studded. Was regretting that as I was gliding over the highway with wife and kids on board.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 am

I'd kill for some freezing rain right about now...

...after 3 days of -35C wind chills, the freezing rain would warm me up, a bit. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:45 am

Robair Robair:
Hey, we've got areas in Canada that can't handle those conditions cough Vancouver cough cough.

I didn't get this set of winters studded. Was regretting that as I was gliding over the highway with wife and kids on board.

There is still time.
Winter is just starting.

raydan raydan:
I'd kill for some freezing rain right about now...

...after 3 days of -35C wind chills, the freezing rain would warm me up, a bit. :wink:

Been there. No more thanks.

Took the house 18 hours to warm up after being gone 10 days, turned the heat down to 10C.
Brick house, no insulation.
I know it's Italy but come on.. :roll:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 am

Robair Robair:
Drove hwy 97 from Vernon to Penticton. Do not advise it!
We were in my wife's fwd Ford Flex. Was spinning out a bit going up hills, could feel the back tires break loose a bit on a couple of corners, not a big deal. Then on the last straightaway before Penticton, right down by the lake, the car completely lost contact with ashphalt for what must have been at least 50 yards. Quite the sensation! Was doing 70km/h, didn't move either foot, very tiny slow moves on the steering wheel, not sure I even breathed. If the car had touched one little lump of ice I'm sure it would have sent us spinning. Don't go anywhwere unless you have to.

You need a set of tire chains.

https://www.etrailer.com/vm/Ford/Flex/chains

You also need to slow down because the laws of physics also apply to FWD and 4WD vehicles.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 am

martin14 martin14:
Robair Robair:

There is still time.
Winter is just starting.
They won't stud used tires will they? I thought you had to do that when they are new...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
You need a set of tire chains.

https://www.etrailer.com/vm/Ford/Flex/chains

You also need to slow down because the laws of physics also apply to FWD and 4WD vehicles.
Wife's car, she won't install tire chains! :lol:

40 ish mph (70km/h), wasn't going that fast! All kinds of trucks etc had been passing me the whole drive.

When you grow up in SK, you become accustomed to ballistic winter driving. This icey patch was on another level!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:13 am

Robair Robair:
They won't stud used tires will they? I thought you had to do that when they are new...

If you have tires with the holes pre drilled, someone should be able to fit them.

Although fair to say 99.999% buy new.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 am

Chains? Those are for logging trucks.
One of the Band offices here got some Flexes for ferrying elders to appointments, didn't realize they were RWD. Must be pretty hairy on some of the roads.

Check with Kal Tire, I don't know if not studding used tires is because of the law or more to do with against sales practices.
The guy there was explaining to this woman how 'all weather tires' lose their grip below 7 degrees. I wanted to ask if that meant you could only use them June to August here...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:41 pm

herbie herbie:

When there's snow or ice then in California and several other states they're required on the drive wheels of all vehicles with the exception of 4x4 vehicles and then they're recommended.

My father used to put them on all four wheels of his cars and trucks (when needed) and the man never once had an accident in the snow.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 pm

herbie herbie:
One of the Band offices here got some Flexes for ferrying elders to appointments, didn't realize they were RWD. Must be pretty hairy on some of the roads.
FWD I said. Front wheel drive.

They are available AWD but that's not what we have.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:20 pm