PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:14 pm

I think the point is you DO want meat... just healthier :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Robair Robair:

As I get older, I eat less and less meat, because it's better for me and I realize that I don't digest it as well as I did, especially red meat... but I don't go looking for "fake" meat, I just eat more fruits and vegetables.

Besides, I think we know that most people have stopped because of a life choice. I guess my post was directed more at them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Seconded!
Just losing my taste for a lot of meat over the last decade or so. Got to loathe chicken breast, can only eat one pork chop, three or four ribs....
for some strange reason I can still devour huge amounts of good rare steak, prime rib or lamb chops in one sitting.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Gone the opposite way on chicken. Can't get enough of it these days. We now do two roast chickens for Christmas instead of a turkey and I can't emphasize how much I do not miss the turkey at all. The turkey just leaves me bloated and icky feeling now but the chicken tastes and feels incredibly clean in comparison. If I never eat turkey again I'd miss nothing at all about it. We also did a full beef tenderloin for New Year's dinner and there was nothing at all like it - the leftover strips also made for one hell of an awesome stew a couple of days later. [drool]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Gone the opposite way on chicken. Can't get enough of it these days. We now do two roast chickens for Christmas instead of a turkey and I can't emphasize how much I do not miss the turkey at all. The turkey just leaves me bloated and icky feeling now but the chicken tastes and feels incredibly clean in comparison. If I never eat turkey again I'd miss nothing at all about it. We also did a full beef tenderloin for New Year's dinner and there was nothing at all like it - the leftover strips also made for one hell of an awesome stew a couple of days later. [drool]

Yeah, we've done chickens for years too, and I love them, and the drippings make the best gravy you'll ever have IMHO.

The bones make a great stock if you're willing to boil them with some spices, onions and celery for a couple hours. When the stock cools, pour it into freezer trays and you can toss a couple cubes into anything you cook for amazing flavour without a ton of fat.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:01 am

raydan raydan:
If you don't want to eat meat, why do want something that tastes, bleeds and looks like meat? [huh]

Robair Robair:

If you grew up eating meat, and burgers, you miss the taste.

But as I get older, I realize the consequences of farming animals. I don't want to take part in that, and I also want to reduce certain risks to my health that animal protein brings.

All the taste, none of the guilt.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:31 am

0:
rights.jpg
rights.jpg [ 37.63 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]

[drool]

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:58 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Being guilt-free, is your intention to make those that eat meat feel guilty?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 am

Coach85 Coach85:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Being guilt-free, is your intention to make those that eat meat feel guilty?

Nope. Do as you please. I'll not tell you or convince you what to do, or not do. I only ask that you do so from the perspective of an informed consumer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:22 am

Growing up on a farm, I'm pretty aware of how animals should be treated and how they should be slaughtered. We never would have treated the cows in the manner those people would have.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:30 am

llama66 llama66:
Growing up on a farm, I'm pretty aware of how animals should be treated and how they should be slaughtered. We never would have treated the cows in the manner those people would have.

Exactly. We had cows. They lived their lives grazing in a field. Chickens roamed, scratching dirt and eating bugs. Until they had a bad day.

The first time I saw a feedlot, I died a little inside. The things I saw when I worked in a slaughterhouse are a big reason why I avoid eating meat now.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am

Wait until it hits the grocery stores, here.

The beyond burger from A&W is not bad, but not nearly as good as what you can get when you grill your own.

Yes, the beyond meat burger tastes way better than what A&W offers, and A&W is not bad...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am

I worked with a chef years ago that made a killer portabella mushroom burger. I'm not sure what he did for the prep and seasoning but once on a bun with the usual lettuce/tomato/onion you would swear it was like a beef burger.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 am

Strutz Strutz:
I worked with a chef years ago that made a killer portabella mushroom burger. I'm not sure what he did for the prep and seasoning but once on a bun with the usual lettuce/tomato/onion you would swear it was like a beef burger.

People somehow are conditioned that only meat can be savory. The umamai taste that meat has comes from - MSG. 8O Yes, Monosodium Glutimate. MSG used to be harvested from seaweed (IIRC) and many things like Mushrooms, Cheese, and Tomatoes, also contain it.