Title: Trump says he rejected meeting with Justin Trudeau
Category: Uncle Sam
Posted By: Robair
Date: 2018-09-26 15:35:09
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm

PMO says no meeting request was made... ...go figure.
More empty soundbites.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Trump lied again? No way!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Well somebody's lying... must be a politician.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 pm

I'd nominate the liar as the one so used to lying he now claims the UN didn't laugh at him...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:11 am

raydan raydan:

From what I gather an informal request for a meeting was proposed through channels and Trump rejected it.

Two ways to read this:

1. Let's say that Trump was misinterpreting this or even outright lying about it then the strategic reaction for Trudeau would have been to say that he would have enjoyed such a meeting (while not confirming anything). By saying it's false then Trudeau makes himself look smaller because he DID NOT ask for such a meeting.

2. Let's say Trump got it right (and I imagine he did) then by saying there was no such offer after it was indeed offered is a demonstration of bad faith by Trudeau and any further talks on NAFTA vis-à-vis Canada has now cratered.

So far as Canada is concerned not only is NAFTA dead but you folks are about to join China with some YUGE tariffs on auto imports into the USA.

On the upside of all the auto jobs you folks are about to lose at least you can rest soundly with the smug satisfaction that JT 'stood up' to DJT.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:24 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
raydan raydan:

From what I gather an informal request for a meeting was proposed through channels and Trump rejected it.

Two ways to read this:

1. Let's say that Trump was misinterpreting this or even outright lying about it then the strategic reaction for Trudeau would have been to say that he would have enjoyed such a meeting (while not confirming anything). By saying it's false then Trudeau makes himself look smaller because he DID NOT ask for such a meeting.

2. Let's say Trump got it right (and I imagine he did) then by saying there was no such offer after it was indeed offered is a demonstration of bad faith by Trudeau and any further talks on NAFTA vis-à-vis Canada has now cratered.

So far as Canada is concerned not only is NAFTA dead but you folks are about to join China with some YUGE tariffs on auto imports into the USA.

On the upside of all the auto jobs you folks are about to lose at least you can rest soundly with the smug satisfaction that JT 'stood up' to DJT.

Before the UN convened, Trudeau explained that sit downs between the US and Canada at these general assemblies is a waste of time for both leaders. As they have access to each other almost year round. Better time is spent with leaders that you don't have as much access to the rest of the year.

As for the rest of your post, kindly blow it out your ass.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:25 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
raydan raydan:

Two ways to read this:

I still think NAFTA will get done. If it doesn't, don't worry, we too can play the tariff game, and release the drug patents and (I'd personally do this), charge the USA full price for all energy products and throttle the shit out of it at peak times.

The US does not have all the power here, and you rely on resources to make your products. I like Americans but if you think we'll cave because that idiot of a leaDURR has a gun to our head (figuratively) that's not going to happen.

Fine PM pretty boy hasn't been the best, but neither has 45. Both should be locked in a room until they either
a. get along
b. kill each other.

Fuck this shit. My blood boils every fucking time I read a NAFTA headline.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:28 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
raydan raydan:

Two ways to read this:

Mmmm, no. Trudeau did nothing of the sort.

If Trudeau did not ask for such a meeting, and Trump said he denied a non-existent request, Trudeau only comes out ahead for telling the truth. We saw it for what it was, a negotiating tactic meant to show his base he was being 'the man' when it comes to Canada and our 'unfair tariffs' that barely register on the US GDP.

Trump made himself a little more untrustworthy for turning a negotiation tactic into a personal insult toward both Trudeau and Freeland.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:44 am

Robair Robair:

Enjoy your auto tariffs.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Trump made himself a little more untrustworthy for turning a negotiation tactic into a personal insult toward both Trudeau and Freeland.

And how rude of President Trump to insult people who endorsed the comparison of himself to dictators and tyrants!

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... ant-antics

$1:
How insulting President Trump directly, comparing him to people who kill their opponents, is standing up for Canadian values isn’t clear to me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:51 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Robair Robair:

Enjoy your auto tariffs.

It's the US that will suffer from them.

It'll suck for us, but NAFTA already has almost half of every vehicle made from parts produced in the US.

"Why do you keep shooting yourself in the foot?"

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Enjoy your auto tariffs Lexus, Mercedes, BMW's.

Thanks! We will.

Enjoy your now premium priced discount brands?...is that a polite thing to say?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

And how rude of President Trump to insult people who endorsed the comparison of himself to dictators and tyrants!

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... ant-antics

$1:
How insulting President Trump directly, comparing him to people who kill their opponents, is standing up for Canadian values isn’t clear to me.

When was that? From your article:

$1:
Freeland didn’t make the direct comparison between Trump and dictators herself but was introduced to raucous applause seconds after the video ended.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 am

peck420 peck420:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Enjoy your auto tariffs Lexus, Mercedes, BMW's.

Thanks! We will.

Enjoy your now premium priced discount brands?...is that a polite thing to say?

It is. Trade wars are never fun and they come at a price.

If the price for the USA is that we have to go back to making our own cars instead of shipping our jobs and our money outside of our borders then I suppose we'll just have to deal with the consequences of a revived manufacturing economy.