bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:16 pm

peck420 peck420:
Coach85 Coach85:
Canada is responsible for providing every Indigenous person with maintenance free housing?

No.

But, Canada is responsible for providing infrastructure to all of her Citizens.

Our government consistently wastes resources on feel good projects, like providing homes, but consistently neglects permanent solutions to the problem, like tying all of Canada into a solid infrastructure support system.

Yes, the permanent solution is expensive. Still gonna be cheaper than all of the feel good solutions used to mask the problem.

Canada is not responsible for providing infrastructure to all it's citizens. That's evident by the amount of communities in Canada not accessible by road. Also, when someone purchases a piece of land who's not Indigenous, the government has no obligation to run infrastructure to the property. I know as I went to purchase a parcel of land in Northern Ontario to find out that it won't be serviced by road, hydro, water or fire protection.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Also telling people they should just move as if it’s so easy to leave your entire support network, all your friends and family and anyone you know and trust, somehow gather the money pack all your belongings into an airplane...and go where? With no money they should just move to some inner city slum where they don’t know anyone I guess ?

Indigenous people, like the rest of us in Canada, have access to a very healthy financial support system. To insinuate these people have no money or no jobs just isn't accurate.

I grew up in Toronto. I wanted to live in Toronto when I was out of school. I couldn't afford it. I could afford a shitty apartment but I moved an hour away from my family, my friends and my support system to ensure my newborn son would have a decent home to live in. I started a new life somewhere else. That's the beauty of this Country. Growing up, my neighbour (who was Metis) and her family rented the house beside us. She was a long way from 'home' and doing quite well.

Moving isn't something that happens overnight. It takes planning and possibly, more money. I'm good with spending more money to help people that need it and stop making them feel like they have to stay in 3rd world conditions. They don't.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:03 am

Coach85 Coach85:
A couple very inexpensive options to vent homes and trailers could take place.

When there are no hardware stores, it is pretty expensive to rent a plane to fly in an electric fan. And how do you do it when you live in an apartment?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/ig ... -1.4515008

Coach85 Coach85:
As I said, pride of ownership. I don't want to live in a mouldy house. Even if I didn't pay for the house, I'd take steps to maintain and improve the property. Adding a dryer vent, dehumidifier or exhaust vents are very inexpensive.

Why do you think these people have no pride of ownership? Is it because someone told you they don't?

$1:
Last month, the remote First Nation 600 km north of Thunder Bay declared a state of emergency due to the severe housing and mould crisis. Chief and council believe long-term exposure to mould is affecting the health of at least 100 residents.

So all these people have no pride of ownership?

$1:
The researchers, led by medical anthropologist Peter Stephenson, say that mould is thriving in the damp conditions on reserves caused by poor ventilation, structural damage and overcrowding.

Although they acknowledge that there isn't much scientific data on the problem, anecdotal evidence suggests it's a big one. Mould was found in 69 per cent of homes on the Ahousat First Nation reserve near Tofino, according to a newspaper article, while band council says that 21 per cent of homes on the Kitamaat reserve are affected.

Officials on the Snuneymuxw reserve in Nanaimo told CTV News this week that mould has become a big problem there as well.

$1:
The UVic researchers suggest that a long history of removing aboriginal people from their traditional homes and placing them on reserves has degraded their economic power and left them dependent on Ottawa for survival.

"Failed commitments from the federal government to improve housing and socioeconomic conditions have resulted in a legacy of widespread substandard housing and severe housing shortages that yield overcrowding, which in turn aggravates mould growth," the study reads.

The authors also suggest that high unemployment on reserves means that few residents have the cash to maintain their homes.

$1:
But another problem may be what the researchers describe as the "paralyzing laws" that restrict home ownership on reserves and have led to just a small proportion of First Nations residents owning the houses their families have lived in for generations.

Manny Jules, chief commissioner of the First Nations Tax Commission, says that's the root cause of housing problems on reserves.

"You've got really a housing crisis right across the country, and to me that relates to the simple fact that First Nations members aren't allowed, like every other Canadian, the choice of owning their own home, and that leads to a situation where a lot of our housing is built substandard," he told CTV News.

Unlike in the rest of the country, the titles for the majority of reserve homes are vested in the Crown, and Jules says that needs to change.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mould-plagues-fir ... y-1.758789

So much for 'no pride of ownership', hmm?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:39 am

The blame rests on Corrupt First Nations Leaders.