Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:27 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
Tricks Tricks:
raydan raydan:
So you'd have trouble seeing a movie about make believe people living in a make believe world because there's a glitch with the comic book character that first appeared almost 80 years ago. :lol:

Honestly, yeah. If a character matters to you, and they fundamentally alter it, and potentially ruin an aspect of the character, why would you be okay with it?

Keep in mind that Batman 1989 and the animated series gave the Joker a backstory.

So did the killing joke, but they're all different. He doesn't have a conclusive (canon) origin as far as I'm aware. But I could be wrong.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:28 am

raydan raydan:
Tricks Tricks:
raydan raydan:
So you'd have trouble seeing a movie about make believe people living in a make believe world because there's a glitch with the comic book character that first appeared almost 80 years ago. :lol:

Honestly, yeah. If a character matters to you, and they fundamentally alter it, and potentially ruin an aspect of the character, why would you be okay with it?

Did you watch Batman with Adam West?

I didn't actually.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:34 am

$1:
So did the killing joke, but they're all different. He doesn't have a conclusive (canon) origin as far as I'm aware. But I could be wrong.

Far as I know you are right.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Tricks Tricks:

You are correct. In every previous version, we did not get an origin story, we got a transformation story. A criminal becomes a psychotic killer.

This will be the first time that he Joker gets an actual origin, as in from not criminal to criminal. This, IMHO, makes the Joker an easy villain for Batman to defeat. He is the world's greatest detective after all, and having that origin to reference means he can deduce the Joker's motivation, and eventually his actions. Take away Joker's unpredictability, and he is no longer a real threat.

Don't forget that the Killing Joke is also when the Joker told Batman,

$1:
“I mean, what is it with you? What made you what you are? Girlfriend killed by the mob, maybe? Brother carved up by some mugger? Something like that, I bet. Something like that … Something like that happened to me, you know. I … I’m not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another … If I’m going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!”

They could easily pass this off as just one of Joker's multiple choice answers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:38 pm

peck420 peck420:
Tricks Tricks:

You are correct. In every previous version, we did not get an origin story, we got a transformation story. A criminal becomes a psychotic killer.

This will be the first time that he Joker gets an actual origin, as in from not criminal to criminal. This, IMHO, makes the Joker an easy villain for Batman to defeat. He is the world's greatest detective after all, and having that origin to reference means he can deduce the Joker's motivation, and eventually his actions. Take away Joker's unpredictability, and he is no longer a real threat.

Don't forget that the Killing Joke is also when the Joker told Batman,

$1:
“I mean, what is it with you? What made you what you are? Girlfriend killed by the mob, maybe? Brother carved up by some mugger? Something like that, I bet. Something like that … Something like that happened to me, you know. I … I’m not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another … If I’m going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!”

They could easily pass this off as just one of Joker's multiple choice answers.

Interesting way of looking at it, never considered the transformation vs origin. I'm with you on part of what makes Joker who he is, is that we don't know why he is the way he is. I could definitely pass this off as one of his multiple choice answers, maybe his insanity causing this be one way he remembers it.

It'd be interesting if they did multiple movies like this one, but all told a different "origin" to keep that guessing game alive.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Tricks Tricks:
It'd be interesting if they did multiple movies like this one, but all told a different "origin" to keep that guessing game alive.

Would also be interesting if they showed Batman from the villain's perspective.

No Bruce Wayne.

No noble reasoning.

Just the terror that is a psycho dressed as a bat, that makes your goons go poof in the night.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

I wasn't sure yesterday if I should go see IT2 or Joker. [huh]

So I turned to my GF and said...

Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Wait till It 2 is on Netflix. Joker is worth the price of admission.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:55 pm

I'll probably never see IT2... I read the book I don't know how many times and saw the 1990 TV mini-series with Harry Anderson, Annette O'Toole, John Ritter, Richard Thomas and Tim Curry as Pennywise. I'm sure the new movie would be a let-down. :(

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 pm

raydan raydan:
I'm sure the new movie would be a let-down. :(

Just my $0.01, but yea...not getting that time back.

It didn't even feel like a horror film to me, and I didn't find it all that dramatic...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:34 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Doesn’t the 23 tell you that all on its own?

It does but all three numbers tell me more.

Have you ever heard of a movie from 2003 called 'The Room?" I've heard some people say it's the worst movie ever made. Yet I've also heard people say it has a cult.

It has a Fiddledog rating of 94. That's better than the Batwoman TV series. When you break down the numbers they tell you a more complete story.

Now a question for you? Why is it so important to you to find a flaw in this? I'm starting to find it kind of flattering that it matters so much to you. :wink:

Because you don’t seem to realize that:

1) no matter what audience or critic ratings a movie gets, your system will ALWAYS come out to be exactly double the audience rating. Nothing more, nothing less. Ever. It doesn’t tell you anything else.

2) Your system is basically “If double the audience rating is at least 150, I gotta see it,” which is just a ridiculously unnecessary ridiculous way of saying if the audience rating is at least 75 you gotta see it

Now do you see?

There is value in measuring the spread between audience and critic ratings and factoring that into your own rating, but that’s not what you’re doing here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

More right wing garbage

I’ve never heard that “liberals” don’t like the joker. Some people said some things and all of a sudden in the child like conservative child-like mind it means those people are “liberals” and therefore 100% of all liberals collectively don’t like the movie.

Except isn’t this a Hollywood movie and all of Hollywood is liberal in the first place? How does that work?

Like I said: More like right wing garbage

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:07 am

0:
72199085_3118568654884154_2160714900345716736_n.jpg
72199085_3118568654884154_2160714900345716736_n.jpg [ 96.56 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:07 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
1) no matter what audience or critic ratings a movie gets, your system will ALWAYS come out to be exactly double the audience rating. Nothing more, nothing less. Ever. It doesn’t tell you anything else.

Why are you so sure I don't realize that? Why are you sure I'm not telling you critics are crap and you're farther ahead if you just use the audience score?

How do you know I wasn't looking for a rube like yourself to make the point. Thanks, btw. :wink:

Critics are only useful for showing you when wokeness gets in the way of a watchable movie.

Now, as to your question of was it the left that put the mark of Cain on Joker the movie, then wrote mainstream hyperbole pieces about the hysteria it had created with the idea of having any potential viewer in fear of being shot in his seat by some incel, copycat killer. Yes, that's exactly who it was.