bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 am

llama66 llama66:
$1:
“The nuclear meltdown at Chernobyl 20 years ago this month, even more than my launch of Perestroika, was perhaps the real cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union five years later.

-Mikhail Gorbachev

Could the current attitude towards Oil and resources be our Chernobyl "moment" (I don't mean an a disaster on an unimaginable scale, I mean the arrogance the both preceded it and followed it).

Gorby was a fat piece of shit who sold out the people for fucking Pizza Hut. The Soviet Union fell because of external forces like America... and internal traitors like Gorby and Khrushchev.

Let's be real here. Chernobyl isn't terraforming the entire planet. Also, it was an accident marred by thoughtless human catastrophe, while all this is ostensibly on purpose, part of the world the rich have decided we should live in. It was int heir quarterly report, for the room of big wig bullshitters to mutter over and try to hide from the general population, so maybe they can make a few more cents before the society collapses. It isn't really comparable.

Also of course, the Soviet Union desperately tried to deal with it, while we're out here going on about "carbon neutral" and "offsetting" and passing the blame onto consumers. All they will do is offer subsidies to green capitalists. Because that's all we need to save humanity: 73 different brands of solar panels, and paper straws.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:23 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Saw a good one today

"Bloc Rednecois"

We need a logo for that.

:lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:07 am

It didn't fall from outside forces. It fell because that form of "Communism" was unsustainable, and if you think a major incident like Chernobyl didn't play a roll in the collapse you need to go and re-read your history books.

Chernobyl was not an "accident" as you say, the design flaw in the RMBK reactors was discovered in the 70's and the KGB hushed it up, The factory quotas forced them to wait to do the safety test which allowed the reactor to idle too long thus allowing xenon to accumulate and eventually cause the reactor to "crash" forcing them to disengage most, if not all safety precautions to restart the reactor. This does not amount to "an accident"; this is something else all together.

They attempted to hide the true scale of the disaster from the west, even as radiation alarms sounded in Sweden 1200kms away.

They continued to lie right up to the inquiry in '87.

Thousands were displaced, tens of thousands died early.

All this at a time when every General Secretary from Khrushchev on, spent money the Soviet Union didn't have to combat the west all while her people suffered.

I wonder if you even grasp how severe the disaster truly was. Because your minimization of it does disservice to the initial fire fighters and the liquidators, "bio-robots" and other first responders.

Chernobyl was absolutely analogous with the Soviet Union; both were triumphs built by people who little understanding of what they had built, maintained by secrets and propaganda and ultimately collapsed due to hubris and ineptitude.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:57 am

So how come you follow the jingoism of the extreme right all the time but don't buy their standard line that Ronald Reagan beat the commies all by his lonesome?

A Hungarian defector friend says the USSR fell because Gorby visited an arcade in the USA, saw 10 year olds shooting down 25,000 spaceships a minute and realized the USA could design computer shit, the Japanese would build it for them cheap and even if this kid was buzzed out on 32 oz Jolt cola, couldn't make change for a dollar or spell his own name - if they put them in tanks and planes the Russians were fucked.
He'd gleaned that from being a teacher. Of Math 9 in Surrey

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Saw a good one today

"Bloc Rednecois"

We need a logo for that.

If anybody knows where I can get a pin button with that on it, with a Fleur de Lys of course, tell me. :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm

herbie herbie:
So how come you follow the jingoism of the extreme right all the time but don't buy their standard line that Ronald Reagan beat the commies all by his lonesome?

Because I'm an intelligent being, I try to use my intelligence and arrive at my own decisions, rather than be spoon fed the propaganda of only one side.

To quote Galilei

$1:
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:05 pm

llama66 llama66:
Because I'm an intelligent being, I try to use my intelligence and arrive at my own decisions, rather than be spoon fed the propaganda of only one side.

Most lefties I know have big mouths and can gulp from a very large left handed spoon.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:57 pm

llama66 llama66:
Chernobyl was not an "accident" as you say, the design flaw in the RMBK reactors...

i get it dude, you pay for hbo

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:51 am

llama66 llama66:
Chernobyl was not an "accident" as you say, the design flaw in the RMBK reactors...

I knew about the graphite/Xenon flaw in the RMBK design way back before there was an HBO.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 am

llama66 llama66:

That the best you got?

It's kinda weak sauce, comrade. Stalin would be disappointed.

I read about the accident a lot as a child, I was 6 in April of 1986. I can remember some of the concern that the radiation would spread here. Sure I watched the HBO drama, and it did a great job of telling the overall story, but I was pretty up on my Chernobyl game long before the series came out.

Anyone who could work up the intestinal fortitude to survive reading the inquiry findings learned about the RMBK flaws decades ago.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
llama66 llama66:

Most lefties I know have big mouths and can gulp from a very large left handed spoon.

I prefer small cutlery. I have no idea why.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:33 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Saw a good one today

"Bloc Rednecois"

We need a logo for that.

Here you go!

https://www.zazzle.ca/bloc_rednecois_bu ... 7359013157

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am

That will look good on the bumper of my truck. :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:55 am

So what happens to the military in a Wexit? You can be sure as hell the CAF isn't going do what the USSR did and abandon everything. Even if they did without a serious amount of income what was left would become useless in 10 years. Seriously there is no point in even entertaining a Wexit.