canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 am

Title: Ottawa failed to spend almost $8B in promised defence cash over recent years
Category: Military
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2019-12-05 07:00:00
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 am

Right when we as a nation are being chastised by the US for not being at 2%...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:16 am

Investing in Defence might be a good idea. I mean if we're not going to develop our natural resources... might as we invest in defence.

I'd love to see us buy some CV90's, one or two pocket carriers, more tanks, more surface ships, a reasonable arctic surface fleet and more submarines, in addition to more fighters (preferably Canadian designed and built)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:17 am

This is how the Liberals underfund the military though. They promise money, budget money, but never actually allocate it for spending.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:21 am

Fuck, the Government (both Libs and Cons) need to overhaul the procurement process. They need to take the Byzantine out of it. Procurement should take one year at most.

The Fighter replacement is in year 10? unacceptable.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 am

I don't blame the government for that. Eisenhower warned us of the Military Industrial complex. It's their lobby changing the goalposts that end up costing us the time and money.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:30 am

maybe, that does have a part in it. But once the military sets out terms and specifications there really should not be any more goalpost moves, regardless of what the MIC wants.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 am

Oh, I get it!
Hip! Hip! Hooray! Ottawa saved almost $8B in cash! does not sound as good to the intended audience!

$1:
Trump mused on Tuesday about slapping countries that do not meet the two per cent spending target with retaliatory trade measures and warned that he would not commit to defending member countries under the principle of shared defence if those members are deemed to be underspending on defence.
Go ahead, papa schTroumpf. I dare you.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 am

llama66 llama66:
Investing in Defence might be a good idea. I mean if we're not going to develop our natural resources... might as we invest in defence.

I'd love to see us buy some CV90's, one or two pocket carriers, more tanks, more surface ships, a reasonable arctic surface fleet and more submarines, in addition to more fighters (preferably Canadian designed and built)

Didn't Stevo get us a fleet of oh so nice slush breakers? Talk about being dependent on AGW :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
llama66 llama66:

Didn't Stevo get us a fleet of oh so nice slush breakers? Talk about being dependent on AGW :lol:

I think one has been built. Expect the second one sometime in 2030.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:15 am

We should ban these threads for being redundant and self-defeating. This country is not going to repair the military in our lifetime or in anyone else's.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:34 am

llama66 llama66:

I agree with most of your wish list, but don't see the need for any sort of carriers, which are more geared to expeditionary use than sovereignty patrols. I also don't see the need for more tanks, the 100 or so Leopard 2s we have are plenty unless we're expecting a major conventional war in the near future.

What I think we really need are 12 to 16 AIP/nuke subs that can operate under the Arctic ice for extended periods of time throughout the year.

The surface fleet build of 15 ships is also too small, it should probably be doubled, and we need 100+ fighters instead of the 65-88 the current government is planning on buying.

fifeboy fifeboy:

llama66 llama66:
I think one has been built. Expect the second one sometime in 2030.

Actually, two are in the water, undergoing trials and fitting out, with the first expected to be operational in 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_DeW ... rol_vessel

Frankly though, I'm more interested in knowing when we'll get new destroyers and fighter aircraft - those are far more pressing needs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:36 am

Thanos Thanos:
We should ban these threads for being redundant and self-defeating. This country is not going to repair the military in our lifetime or in anyone else's.

Sad but true...people care more about tax cuts and daycare than protecting our nation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:41 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Thanos Thanos:

Sad but true...people care more about tax cuts and daycare empty virtue-signalling, righteous scolding of the downfallen, and taking enjoyment from each other's financial misery than protecting our nation.

Minor fix to reflect the Canadian character, circa 2019. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:43 am

The DeWolf's only ice rating 5, we need ice rating 1 ships.